Climate control system

tekazgtr1984

The dials in my '98 are seriously just a pissoff. The QX4 came with a digital unit as standard equipment and that's understandable; some '99 R50 LE models came with it too. As such, I've been researching this and have come to the conclusion that it is possible, given that all the parts are OEM. Here's what the digital unit looks like:

2668_1.jpg

I see these for sale all the time on eBay for really cheap but I'm pretty sure it's just the unit, without the wiring harness, auto thermometer unit and whatever other hardware is needed.

I was wondering if anyone has the digital unit and if any helpful advice could be offered. It's not exactly a case where I need to do this; moreso just me wanting to get rid of primitive dials for better digital technology.

Edited by tekazgtr1984

I cant give you any info on the wiring and such, But I do have, and love this setup. It works very well, and still is lit the same as it was when it was brand new!, no dimming of the letters or numbers at all, even after almost 90k. My advise get one if you can its super user friendly, and alot more presise then stupid knobs, and it just looks more modern :lol:

Oh the tentative plan is to get one installed but only if I can do it for a good price. There's no need in spending an obscene amount of money on improving my rig's creature comforts when what's already there is totally sufficient.

My biggest issue with this swap is the external hardware. Aside from the control unit itself, I'm totally in the dark in regards to wiring and other necessary parts. I've got a blueprint for the JDM digital model but it's hard to say if the hardware's similar as the JDM control unit differs significantly from the unit here.

That's what I had feared... Thanks Alex! :aok:

Here's the JDM blueprint, in case anyone is interested. Maybe it's all the same except for the control unit...?

JDM_cc_unit.jpg

Edited by tekazgtr1984

Well i know there are 2 qx4s in the yunkyard here with the complete hvac system. maybe ill take the dash apart and see what all you need to make a swap.

Well that would be downright super of you Alex. But get better first eh! :aok:

Thanks for the continued help with my newbness. :happy:

Take pictures while in the junkyard.

I have the same climate control pictured above and it does work nicely. While the fan symbol on the display shows 4 speeds, I think it may actually be variable speed. You may need a different fan motor? not sure.....

Edited by BowTied

• 2 weeks later...

You will need a thermister, wiring harness, blower motor, amplifier, heater case, etc. The automatic uses all sorts of servos down there under the dash that are completely different between the manual and auto AC system.

You will need a thermister, wiring harness, blower motor, amplifier, heater case, etc. The automatic uses all sorts of servos down there under the dash that are completely different between the manual and auto AC system.

That's what I thought. I guess the only real option is to find a whole vehicle with the auto climate control unit and swap it out. :doh:

*crosses fingers for next trip to JY*