Soft-top Pathy..... Im thinking about it.

SnoViking

Hey guys... ok... heres the deal.... Ive been thinking about it alot and researching to the best I can.... and im thinking of making a soft top for the Pathfinder.... My idea is to trim the inside of the roof.... about a foot from the front ( to clear the sun shades inside) 6 inches from either side ( so i still have some strength) and right before the speakers in the back. So it would pretty much be like a big sunroof...... Then i would use a tonnoue (or however its spelled) cover thats custom sized. I would use the snap/velco combo one... i saw a kit today that had a really nice latch and supports and everything on it. Im really giving this alot of thought so Id like some input here. thanks guys.

Pat

Well, it'd be unique, if nothing else. I've seen a 2-door with the back end of the top chopped and the back end turned into a pickup bed of sorts, but never a soft-top like you're describing. It'd open up a world of problems if it ever leaked...

That would be pretty sweet if you lived in California, but wouldn't that be a bit cold in the winter? In a warm climate, that could be nice. You could probably get some help on material, etc. from a boat upholstery shop.

I agree with pickles...come join us out in Southern California before you make that conversion...it rained something like 3 inches in Santa Barbara last winter...with weather like that you don't need to worry about it leaking. I can only imagine what would happen if you woke up one frosty morning with 18" of fresh, wet snow on top of the thing...or would that be in it??

I saw a Toyota pick up convertible once. Looked pretty cool.

If you're going to do it, why not go all the way and chop the whole thing off like an old K5 Blazer, fab up a fiberglass shell from the old roof and be the coolest MoFo on the block?

It can be done as long as you have the right schematic, propper blade for the sawzall, and correct lottery ticket.

That would be awsome! I think it will be better on a 2dr though. There is a guy......I believe on AC's site that is doing that with his 2dr, but no top. Just open like a truckbed and has his spare tire mounted in the back cargo area on one of those truck slanted spare tire racks. Not too sure if it's the same as what 88 saw, but looks awsome! Good luck with it and definately post the pic's when finished. :aok:

I talked to an upolstrey shop and they said they could use insulated material and also use the same type of supports as used on truck beds. The one guy suggested a system which used snaps and velco, and at the one end it was a solid aluminum piece which locked and could only be opened from the inside. Thanks for the input everybody.

Pat

The one guy suggested a system which used snaps and velco, and at the one end it was a solid aluminum piece which locked and could only be opened from the inside. Thanks for the input everybody.

Pat

Um, I do believe a knife would be a good enough key for a thief trying to get in. But if you have an alarm, go for some additional LED's up on your dash, etc. I did it quick and easy, and its a great deterrent.

some guy near my school bagged and chopped an old astro van. yellow-orange exterior with little 14" rims white wall tires and a white ragtop and white leather interior. body kit an every thing decked out. just ugly to me...

I wonder how close the tail gate out of a hardbody would fit in a Pathfinder? otherwise i would have to fab some bottom hinges to make a tailgate. i was even thinking about trimming the whole roof and making it like a jeep wrangler soft top... then use 3.5 inch round tubing to make full length roll bar/cage.

p.s. I just put new seats and a 4 inch lift .... which came out to be almost 6 inches cause my stock suspension was so tired... it looks awesome... as soon as i get some new pics ill post them and update my npora web site.

Pat

I was thinking the same thing with the tailgate/hatch and the roll bars. I just had to do some work with MS paint. sly Keep in mind, I'm software challenged! :blink:

post-6-1091414725.jpg

heres what i had in mind... a wrangler soft top like top... heres the best i could do with MS paint... i borrowed the pic from someone on www.nissanpathfinders.com thanks who ever it was...

post-6-1091417825.jpg

I like the idea of staying with the cloth convertible section cut into the roof and leaving the side windows. Just looks more clean to me. Plus you'd have the best of both worlds, especially in the winter, and it would be a lot quieter on the road.