Square tooth vs round tooth timing belt 1993 SE

audiwhore

square tooth, change every 70K.

I think the round tooth belts were only for 3.3L motors(96-02?). the round tooth belt is rated @ 100k

Have you seen the timing belt page in the how-to section? may come in handy.

Edited by MY1PATH

Actually it depends on build date and yes 93 is the oddball year that the change was made from the squares to the rounds. Mine is a pre switch, but I forget the cut off date. When I did mine I bought both, then just returned the round one when I found it wasn't right.

square tooth, change every 7K.

I think the round tooth belts were only for 3.3L motors(96-02?). the round tooth belt is rated @ 10k

Have you seen the timing belt page in the how-to section? may come in handy.

boy you really like to change your timing belt often don't you. :tongue:

7k and 10k intervals :eek:

lol...

60k for the square tooth. 105k for the round tooth. as GrimGreg said, 93 was an oddball year where they switched to the round tooth belt halfway through.

lol...

60k for the square tooth. 105k for the round tooth. as GrimGreg said, 93 was an oddball year where they switched to the round tooth belt halfway through.

yeah, my gut feeling is that the change had something to do with the introduction of the quest/pillager twins.

So, can you tell by the VIN the build date and whether or not it has round vs square?

1. the build date should be on a tag in your drivers door jamb.

2. the vin will tell the dealer possibly

3. you can check the tooth shape by removing the top timing cover (I am assuming you can remove it like on the maxima)

4. 1&2 assume the motor has not been changed ever. I know of one gentleman who has a 1990 maxima (VG30E) that was swapped out for a 1994 VG30E VERY early on it's life by the dealer, so much so that all the underhood wiring was changed over to 94 spec along with the injectors. Yes it is very weird.

1. the build date should be on a tag in your drivers door jamb.

2. the vin will tell the dealer possibly

3. you can check the tooth shape by removing the top timing cover (I am assuming you can remove it like on the maxima)

4. 1&2 assume the motor has not been changed ever. I know of one gentleman who has a 1990 maxima (VG30E) that was swapped out for a 1994 VG30E VERY early on it's life by the dealer, so much so that all the underhood wiring was changed over to 94 spec along with the injectors. Yes it is very weird.

Thanks for the info. Heading to the dealer today.

Just got back from the Nissan dealer. Looked up the VIN on his computer and it shows build date of 6/93 which puts it right around the switch from the old square tooth to the newer round tooth design. Mine appeared to have the newer style so I got the round tooth belt. We double checked with one of the service techs who confirmed it has the newer style.