Fender Flares

Kittamaru

I think my Flares are trapping sh*t and causing my rust problems to become more aggravated... is this a common thing?

Any reason not to take em off? Besides the difference in paint colour due to sunlight?

I think my Flares are trapping sh*t and causing my rust problems to become more aggravated... is this a common thing?

Any reason not to take em off? Besides the difference in paint colour due to sunlight?

No, unless in your state its illegal to run without fender flares or mud flaps.

I think these things look a little tougher without them really. I found it simpler to clean the fender wells with them off as well, since a butt load of mud usually catches on the flares.

or it's illegal for the wheels to stick out past the fenders which is illegal in most states. each state has its own/different standard.

i had no rust or discoloration. i just took them off because i busted one up all to pieces. had to take the others off to match the one. :)

or it's illegal for the wheels to stick out past the fenders which is illegal in most states. each state has its own/different standard.

That's the other thing I forgot to mention. Here in Washington, the wheels can't stick out past the fender wells 3" or it's illegal.

Stock Pathfinder wheels shouldn't stick out more than an inch, which I think is what mine are at.

I took mine off because I didn't like the way they looked. They were filled with mud from years of not being properly taken care of by previous owners to the point that I could see many differently colored layers from the various places it had been off-road. I also found out this built up mud had caused rust holes and had to cut and paint the area. Unfortunately, the rust had gotten in between the seams of the unibody to a point where I couldn't get rid of it. Sprayed it with some anti rust stuff and am just hoping it will last until I get sick of the vehicle. So, whether or not you keep the flares on long term, I would recommend pulling them off and taking a good look around to make sure they aren't covering rust that needs to be taken care of.

I took mine off my 93 for a bit, but put them back on and think I like it better with them since it is lifted (looks like less gap above the tires). With my 88 and no lift (and half chopped fenders) I go without.

After I ripped one off I took off the others. I don't worry about kicking sh!t up b/c I put bedliner on my lower doors to fix that problem. I have no idea what the laws are here in NC but mine stick way-the-hell out & I've not had any cops say anything about 'em so I guess I'm good to go...

I think these things look a little tougher without them really. I found it simpler to clean the fender wells with them off as well, since a butt load of mud usually catches on the flares.

i took mine off mini me and found nothing but mud, scratches and where they had rubbed tot he metal a spot of surface rust....... and i like the look WAY better without them......

i had no rust or discoloration. i just took them off because i busted one up all to pieces. had to take the others off to match the one. :)

i didn't have any discoloration either........

oh, and i have been pulled over in mini me for the tires sticking out more than 2" (in CA). but he slapped me on the wrist and let me go...... i had no flares, no mud flaps and i run 4"bs chevy rims so mini's tires do stick out more than usual.....

wait til i take King's off. that'll give the cops something to stop me about :doh:

In PA it's illegal to have the tires hanging out past the fenders so you have to have flares to be truely legal. Due to Pathfinders being registered and titled as station wagons though mudflaps are optional(and plates are $36.00 compaired to $81.00+). Alot of people still run with them hanging out and get away with it, not alot of inspection stations say anything, that or get a set of stock skinny steel wheels and some 235's for inspection time. Just mainly have to worry about the cop who knows the vechile code books by heart and loves traffic violations.