Thorley Headers

wheel366

I just ordered the ceramic coated Thorley headers today. Estimated ship date is 8/30. Has anybody ever installed them before? I'll posts picks of the install when they come in.

Maybe sometime around Christmas I'll have enough money for the lift. Working for CompUSA hardly pays the bills when you have a 2001 S4.

Do you have an auto or manual? Im thinking of getting new headers but i keep reading things about modifications for autos and stuff.... kinda scares me. Let me know how everything goes. I hear youre pain with the S4, lots of toys to play with, and less $$ to play with. B)

Pat

I have a manual. My concern is adding the susp. lift and having to modify the Y-pipe and then having it recoated, etc... But I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

My friend today asked me why I was getting headers when I have an S4. I said: "You just don't understand." Then he told me to sell my S4 and I told his boss to fire him! LOL. He works for Mothers, which is a local speed shop in Rockaway NJ and he was getting me prices on new bushings.

I just ordered the ceramic coated Thorley headers today. Estimated ship date is 8/30.

I tried to get a set of the chrome ones from Summit Racing and they gave me the same ship date, then pushed it back a month.

I called Thorley directly and they said they are out of stock and the part won't even be on the build sheet until late September, so I ordered the only set that AC had in stock last week.

This is the Thorley's for an '87 6-cyl. 5-sp. manual.

I'm not sure what you need, but I'd call Thorley directly to see when they will actually ship.

I ordered the ceramic ones for a 95. I see on their website that they pushed the date back to 9/6. We'll see. I am and am not in a rush. I want them, but I don't want to dish out the money, so whenever they get here is fine, and not fine!

Do I make any sense? :-) I wish I had a real job again so I can get it all done quickly.

Because the stock exhaust manifolds are simply there to route the exhaust gas away from the heads and out into the piping, not to promote better flow and scavenging of exhaust gases, thus resulting in better performance and higher horsepower output. The headers help a lot and they do work as advertised. The stock manifolds are restrictive and don't work as well. Installing a cut-out after the manifolds won't do anything but make more noise. The exhaust is still being restricted by the stock manifolds, and the lowered backpressure from a cutout wouldn't help any either. If it worked that way, lots more people would be driving around with the exhaust pipes cut off, ya know? ;)

I called summit today to change credit cards and they told me that the headers should ship in 2 weeks. I bet it's more like 2 months, but thats ok. I just ordered the full calmini lift kit with the shocks. They told me that they are just finishing up the manual and should ship by monday. Also, in case you guys wanted the coils, the gentleman told me that they are ready to ship and the website is wrong.

I figured until I have another $400 for the bilstein shocks, I'll use the provided shocks to hold me over.

Still need the steering stablizer! SOON, VERY SOON.

On a different note, my gas mileage has been getting better. Tonight, I got around 315 to the tank and the needle just went into the white. I have never broken 300, but knew I could make it right to 300 but didn't want to run out of gas. Tomorrow, I'll fill her up.

Hey guys..... a note on the fuel milage subject.... somethign i realized the other day really made me happy.... im getting about 280 miles on a tank of fuel (65% city: 35% highway)... which I thought was ok, but im always looking for alittle extra... but heres what i realized... ok... so I got bigger tires than stock... im up to 31"s... which arent big by anymeans but bigger than stock... and everyone makes a big deal about it affecting your speedo... well... it also effects your odometer.... heres my simple math.... my speedo is off 5 mph at 55 mph... so im actually driving at 60 mph when the speedo says 55 mpg.... so when my odometer says 55 miles... its actually 60 miles... so 280 miles actually equals 305 miles.... that made my day when i realized that...

now go do some math if you have big tires!

pat

p.s. that might explain a milage drop right after you got big tires.....

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Thorley and the told me that the headers will be on the september 13th shipment. So, we'll see when I get them.

Since I just ordered the calmini lift kit and rancho steering stabilizer, I'm happy to wait before I have to pay for the headers.

How do ya'll recon the headers will effect noise levels? My '95 Path has the tick. I'm under warranty and the dealer says he can usually fix the tick by replacing 1-2 studs. His first try failed. I may have to raise Cain on my next visit. I like those boys but not enough to eat $1000.00 after my warranty is over. If I have to replace on my own dime I'm going with the headers unless there are hidden drawbacks. :angry:

Headers make a big difference on sound. I have not installed new ones on my pathy but I had a modified civic before the pathy. I had a retarded cam (4 degrees), intake, headers, exhaust and pulleys.

The headers did not make it louder, but I would say it made it deeper. Of course this is on a 1.6L V4 single cam. Just my 2 cents - do people think the "deeper" note is the same for a pathy?

:shrug:

~jrvanas

I buy all of my nissans from Spicer Auto-- Ashland Va. Any vehicle that you purchase from him is warranteed for 1 year--anything! He has been great so far. I've owned three nissans through him. He finances himself too. My '95 path that I purchased from him has been great but the manifold has the tick. I'm going to take it to him when my next oil change is due. Hopefully he will fix it properly. He changes the oil free for the first year.

Nissan has a 100,000 mile free replacement policy for the defective manifolds

but most of the time only the studs are broke so the manifolds dont have to be replaced they just replace them with better quality studs and replace the exhaust gasket.

If yours has over 100k miles thay wont honor the policy.

My 95 has 128,000 miles and just getting 2 new studs replaced cost me alittle over 200 dollars! Now I have another leak forming some where so im just gonna say screw the manifolds and there crapy studs, im going with headers! around $200 for pacesetters (eeegh) but there better than the manifolds.

There was a note on the forum a short while ago about using grade 5 bolts to replace the studs. The writer was very clear not to use grade 8. Now that make some sense to me however in metric there is no grade 5. The gardes are 8.8 and 10.9 ? or something like that. No I know that these grade cooralate to SAE grades, but I am not sure if grade 8.8 is a match for grade 5.

Hmmm. Our '95 Pathfinder only has 72,000 miles on it, but the service manager at the local dealer doesn't believe that Nissan will pay for the repair, and my call to 1-800-Nissan-1 was equally unhelpfull (they took my vin, verified we were the original owners, and then told me that there were no warrantees or recalls available for that vehicle)

Hmmm. Our '95 Pathfinder only has 72,000 miles on it, but the service manager at the local dealer doesn't believe that Nissan will pay for the repair, and my call to 1-800-Nissan-1 was equally unhelpfull (they took my vin, verified we were the original owners, and then told me that there were no warrantees or recalls available for that vehicle)

I've heard that you have to lean on the dealer a bit to get them to budge. Of course they don't want to pay the bill for a repair when they think they can get out of it. Apparently its a "good will" type repair for Nissan, and they don't like to advertise it and pretend that it doesn't exist. Gather up some info and go at them prepared. I've seen posts out there in internet land of people that have had it done.