Exhaust Cut-Out

TrailChaser

I just found this Ehaust Cut-out on ebay and was wondering if anyone has any experiance with them. It seems like a good ideal, and when I checked the JC Whitney website they say and I quote.

"You have two exhaust systems in one: (1) CLOSED QUIET EXHAUST for city and restricted areas; (2) WIDE-OPEN EXHAUST system for the open road and country driving when you want more speed, more power and gas economy. Made of cast iron. Requires welding. Mounts behind catalytic converter where applicable. With 5-ft. dash-control cable."

So now I'm thinking real hard about weather to get one or not. If I do, at least I've got the welding part covered, and I live in the middle of nowhere Arkansas where noise wouldn't be a problem as long as I can still hear the CD player. I'm just not sure if the HP/MPG will increase enough to justify the cost and the work. I'm already on a gas saving freakout, I bought some magnetic fuel saver off ebay and I'm still waiting on it to arrive. $7.00 for the magnets isn't too bad, I spend more than that a week on junkfood.

I wonder if that cut-off would create a carbon monoxide problem in the truck with the AC running since it would be exhausting from the middle of the truck instead of the very back...

:huh: Dumb question but, couldn't you run a second pipe to the rear???

I don't think that's a dumb question... I thought about that but figured that would increase backpressure, or just less hp/mpg... The instructions on that say to connect it right after the CC, but I could probly get more power and less worrying about it getting cold air back into the engine after I kill the truck by making the split B4 the CC and running a second pipe all the way to the rear so it appears I have duel exhaust. One pipe has the Cat and the muffler, and one is a strait pipe that will probably echo for a mile behind my pathy but not be as loud inside the cab.

You got my brain workin...

Thanks

I bet that would rock the lake... I was kinda thinking about the benifits of messing with my friends by opening it when they least expect it. I was driving a 84 chevy caviler with a four banger off a ferry in galvaston, tx late one night at high tide. When I started down the ramp, which was very steep, I caught my catalytic converter on the top and ripped it loose and out from under the car. I was only going about 5mph but I still ripped it out. It sounded like the world was comming to an end... Scared the crap out of me and my cousion. Then we had to drive that loud thing about 75miles home that night through about 15 small towns. But we where lucky enough to make it home with no tickets or warnings.

Sorry bout the rambling, I'm home from work becouse I'm sick today and this medicine has me stoned.

I bet that would rock the lake... I was kinda thinking about the benifits of messing with my friends by opening it when they least expect it. I was driving a 84 chevy caviler with a four banger off a ferry in galvaston, tx late one night at high tide. When I started down the ramp, which was very steep, I caught my catalytic converter on the top and ripped it loose and out from under the car. I was only going about 5mph but I still ripped it out. It sounded like the world was comming to an end... Scared the crap out of me and my cousion. Then we had to drive that loud thing about 75miles home that night through about 15 small towns. But we where lucky enough to make it home with no tickets or warnings.

Sorry bout the rambling, I'm home from work becouse I'm sick today and this medicine has me stoned.

Those are good times. I got to do a motor swap on my freshly wrecked truck back in high school (wasn't my fault!- the wreck, at least). I ran out of something, bondo I think, so I drove it 5 miles into town with the whole exhaust in the bed and no fenders or hood. Talk about a loud S.O.B. :D

I'm betting the Pathy would be really loud. Have you considered just hollowing out the catalytic converter rather than going to the bypass?

Oh boy, that'd be loud. You'd hate it after about five minutes of listening to it. I've run mine with only the front exhaust and cat, nothing else, and it was horrible. Gave me a headache. Didn't add much for horsepower, it was just really loud.