R50 subframe drop

tekazgtr1984

He is accurate in regard to the D22 snorkel fitting the R50. Just ask Vengeful; he's got one on his '99.

The 4x4parts.com R50 snorkel is the perfect fit; but look at the little notch for the antenna! Kinda pointless unless it's a RHD R50... Looks sorta dumb with no antenna there. :scratchhead:

Meh its something that I could easily hesitate having, and its no worse then all those jeep snorkels with cutouts for bolts in them :shrug:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering the same thing the only snorkel that I know of is new and sold by 4x4parts.com heres a link

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...roducts_id=5266

No this is what I have: Link to snorkel

There is no such thing as a "Frontier Snorkel" its a diesel Navarro snorkel. But the one I've got was bought for a Frontier but put onto an Xterra but never hooked up (just attatched to the fender). I was gonna make one but for a couple bucks more I got this one which looks brand new for a small portion of the cost.

And trust me you destroy an engine due to water shooting through the air intake, a snorkel becomes a necessity & not for "looks"

Yup, snorkels are purely functional; anyone putting one on for "looks" might want to give their head a shake. :scratchhead:

As far as I know, both the D22 and R50 snorkels are the only available options aside from custom fabrication. It'd be kinda cool to see some nice custom designs but that would take considerable time and money I would imagine...

Cool! And it's watertight? That would be all that matters! :aok:

As long as its done correctly, but theres more to "waterproofing" (you can only do so much) than just a snorkel. You have to make diff breathers & do a couple of preventative things in the in the engine bay.

Hey didn't Max or Dan or somebody do a write-up somewhere in here about water-proofing?

As long as its done correctly, but theres more to "waterproofing" (you can only do so much) than just a snorkel. You have to make diff breathers & do a couple of preventative things in the in the engine bay.

i just disconnected my lower airbox (in the fender) from the upper airbox (in the engine bay). i didn't actually remove it; i just removed the hard rubber gasket connecting the two pieces, effectively creating a large air gap. the engine can kinda still pull in cold air from the fender, but because of the air gap, water in the lower airbox will not be sucked into the engine. the only way is if the upper airbox is underwater. when i sunk the pathy on new year's eve, the water level was halfway up my headlights, and it still didn't suck water into the airbox.

i don't plan on going much deeper than this:

DSC06103.jpg

DSC06105-1.jpg

yes, that's water in the driving light. the airbox is shown removed in the pic. we pulled it off to confirm that no water had gotten into the airbox.

Edited by alexrex20

Hey didn't Max or Dan or somebody do a write-up somewhere in here about water-proofing?

Yup, already got my diff breathers done. :aok:

I have always wondered how to do this do you have any pics/write up on how too?? :clickdalink:

all you do is take some long vacuum tubing (or fuel line, or whatever), attach it to your diff, then run it up to a high point under the frame.

all you do is take some long vacuum tubing (or fuel line, or whatever), attach it to your diff, then run it up to a high point under the frame.

Ding ding ding! :aok:

I will still provide visual aids though! :happy:

i just disconnected my lower airbox (in the fender) from the upper airbox (in the engine bay). i didn't actually remove it; i just removed the hard rubber gasket connecting the two pieces, effectively creating a large air gap. the engine can kinda still pull in cold air from the fender, but because of the air gap, water in the lower airbox will not be sucked into the engine. the only way is if the upper airbox is underwater. when i sunk the pathy on new year's eve, the water level was halfway up my headlights, and it still didn't suck water into the airbox.

i don't plan on going much deeper than this:

DSC06103.jpg

yes, that's water in the driving light. the airbox is shown removed in the pic. we pulled it off to confirm that no water had gotten into the airbox.

Thats all fine & dandy but sometimes its not the depth of the water but rather the water is forced so fast up that it shoots into the air intake & then into the engine

Members of the jury exhibit A (note how the air filter sitting off to the side was blow apart in the middle):

P1000689.jpg

Exhibit B (note how the actual water is not that deep):

P1000887.jpg

Yep....some folks just have bad luck. Water can do some funny things. I've heard of others hydrolocking just hitting a puddle too fast. :shrug:

Yep....some folks just have bad luck. Water can do some funny things. I've heard of others hydrolocking just hitting a puddle too fast. :shrug:

Yep, that's especially common among the Import crowd with their cold air intakes sitting 3" off the ground. LOL.

Oh yeah, by the way, Alex (not alexrex), how's your hand man?

the hand is healing. I rewrapped the whole thing last night not just the coban and i'll have a sick scar lol. They had to cut more skin to go find the tendon. I'll take a pic if a rewrap in soon. Its hard typing with 8 fingers lol. Speaking of hydrolocking heres the xterra pictures from the 3 ft deep river in moab lol.

hydrolock1.jpg

hydrolock2.jpg

aftermath AFTER driving home after changing the oil and getting all the water out.

img009.jpg

rods.jpg

3 bent rods, 1 shattered piston skirt and i drove home like that. The engine had so low miles i replaced the broken parts and i still have that engine running great in the xterra today. When it hydrolocked i replaced the cams with some 89 300zx cams for a little improvement in power. Not much though.

See I didn't hydrolock my engine... no I just f*cked it completely up & it threw 2 pistons (completely out) & locked up like 2 weeks later. My new engine (rebuilt engine, but not the original engine) is sweet but I think my battery is shot b/c it sat for like 2 and a half months (that sucks too cause I just bought the f*cker back in like May)