Leak in power steering hose, need part # .. any ideas?

MadManMike

yep, the manual calls for dextron ATF for the power steering. My local napa and autozone didn't carry it, finally found it at walmart. It was the dextron III/mercon ATF.

I thought I remembered hearing that.

Well the hose was not in at any local stores, including our big napa warehouse ( I really wanted to get my pathy fixed this weekend before we get snow)... So I had to order it online and now I am going to have to wait a week for it to ship.

Oh well... I suppose I can let the poor pathy sit another week.

-Mike

I dunno... I always thought Power Steering Fluid was just that... not Transmission Fluid 0o;

It seems to be different for different vehicles, my friends 2000 neon required Power steering fluid, while my other friends Plymouth breeze (both Chrysler) called for ATF

It seems to be different for different vehicles, my friends 2000 neon required Power steering fluid, while my other friends Plymouth breeze (both Chrysler) called for ATF

Yeah I think I am just going to stick with what the manual says... And it says ATF.

I put PSF in while it was leaking so I could get home... I have had power steering go out before in smaller cars, but with my new BFG's I was having a hard time steering my pathy with no fluid :D

-Mike

I have had power steering go out before in smaller cars, but with my new BFG's I was having a hard time steering my pathy with no fluid :D

-Mike

Yeah, I thought I would be smart and remove my PS belt until I could replace/repair the hose so I wouldn't run the pump dry and burn it up. Couldn't even turn out of the driveway! Went to the J-yard that day to get another one.

Got the hose today... Took me about 4 hours to install. Plus it was icy on the ground and in the 20's all day.. so I was freezing my butt off by the time I was done.

Couldn't get a couple of the clips back on, because the new hose really didn't line up with the old one. But I gave them a good wiggle and they didn't move at all, so I am not going to worry about it.

For people trying to do it in the future:

Taking off the fan shroud and the FAN/clutch makes it a lot easier.

Also you have to take off the passenger front tire to get to a clip in there.

Any way I got it all done before it snowed again... And now I can finally stop driving my moms corolla :blush: Embarrassing and it doesn't fit me :D

-Mike

hi mike-if it's the high pressure hose, yes, it's recommended to replace the entire hose. I just did it a few weeks back on my 1992 pathy. Here's what I did:

-drained the p/s tank

-remove fan shroud (I had to take the fan clutch out, but others say you can finesse it out)

-remove the hose clamps

-loosen the bolt to the p/s switch, then remove the banjo bolts, they are 15/16" size

Then I reattached the line, but not too tight first so I could get the clamps lined up first and tightened. I was pretty easy. Bleeding it was a breeze too. - julie

sorry to get into this so late, but that is about what I did on mine last summer when I replaced it and since I had a little over 50.000 miles on the T belt I replaced it at the same spent about 3 hours altogether. I picked up my hi pressure hose at Kragens for about $58.00 and it matched all the bends of the original hose. Hope this helps someone in the future