Engine Died While Driving

Jay7779

I picked up my girlfriend from her friends house last night, and while we were driving back my engine just turned off and I coasted to a stop (right in front of a no parking sign). I tried turning it back on and it turns over, but doesnt start. I thought maybe it was the fuel pump, since I rewired it just weeks ago, but its running when i turn the key. Anyhow it was about four in the morning so I called and got a taxi home with plans to go check it out when the sun came out. Long story short, it got towed, and its still not starting. Any ideas?

Assuming the fuel is making into the firing chambers, check for spark.

Did it make any odd sounds at any of these points?

1. When it died

2. When you first tried to restart it

3. When you try and start it now

How many miles does it have on it and when was the last time the timing belt was changed?

It has 240k on it.

I bought it off my mom, so i gave her a call, and apparently she's never had the timing belt changed. I took off the distributor cap, and watched the rotor as a friend turned the key. It didnt move..

Theres nothing else it could be, other than the timing belt, is there...?

Unless the distributor shaft snapped in two, nope. Now the bad news, you probably bent some valves. Remove the upper timing cover and verify the belt has let go. You can try and put a belt on it then do a compression test. This will tell you if vavles are bent. Only one time in my life have I seen one of our motors break a belt and survive.

It has 240k on it.

I bought it off my mom, so i gave her a call, and apparently she's never had the timing belt changed. I took off the distributor cap, and watched the rotor as a friend turned the key. It didnt move..

Theres nothing else it could be, other than the timing belt, is there...?

Crap!! For a '93, the timing belt is supposed to be changed every 60k miles (96k KM) so you are 2.5 times overdue, assuming that your mother bought it new. Christ, does no one do maintenance any more? Not crapping on you or your mom, Bud, just lamenting how unnecessary this kind of damage is.

Ok, that said, do you know someone who can rebuild the top end of the motor with/for you? The mechanic (5523Pathfinder) knows exactly what he is talking about...

B

Ahh crap. I guess I better start ripping it apart, and praying to god that my valves arent bent. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Yes. See what you find, but remember, there are people here that can help, both with knowledge and parts. All is not lost...

I changed my tbelt at 240k km. Guess I'm lucky

Unless it was done before, yes!!

Remember though, the 94-95 models list the timing belt change intervals at 105k miles (170k km) so it's not the same as what happened to Jay.

B

Well, i ripped most of it apart, Except the crankshaft pully and the lower belt cover. and the belt looks like its intact...

I guess I wont know for sure until i get a socket big enough to get the pully off, but any other sugestions on what it MIGHT be?

this is exactly what happened to me i hada 93 and i was driving and it just died on me. I tried to turn it back on it it just spun freely it soundlike like the starter was wired up but wasnt trying to spin anything because it just spun freely. Anyways i had 193k and it tbelt broke and wrecked the the whole motor it was cheaper just to buy a new motor and put it in. i found one around me for 200 bucks with 100k miles but i ended up just saying **** that pathfinder since it had bad frame rot and parted it out. And i bought the black one in my sig. good luck if you have any frame rot its probably not work fixing it unles your willing to learn or pay for something to fix your frame.

Edited by edicer2

Unless it was done before, yes!!

Remember though, the 94-95 models list the timing belt change intervals at 105k miles (170k km) so it's not the same as what happened to Jay.

B

When I took it off, it had a few cracks when you bent it on the top but the teeth were fine....

Well, i ripped most of it apart, Except the crankshaft pully and the lower belt cover. and the belt looks like its intact...

I guess I wont know for sure until i get a socket big enough to get the pully off, but any other sugestions on what it MIGHT be?

The socket is a 27mm btw

When I took it off, it had a few cracks when you bent it on the top but the teeth were fine....

The socket is a 27mm btw

im going to guess you have done that a few times to know it off the top of your head?

If you have the right sized socket....

Put it on a breaker bar, put the breaker bar on the frame. Unplug the coil wire from the distributor, and bump the starter.