aftermarket centerlinks

BoneZ

I have been looking at after market centerlinks like the L&P and the one they sale at grassroots, I wanted to know if anyone has a picture of how these are different then the stock ones, All of the pictures of them I can find online they look like the same thing as stock. If anyone has some pictures of these please post a few.

L&P is no longer a viable company, the guy running it has basically ripped off people on this forum.

You can get a HooHaa centerlink or a Calmini centerlink. The pics for the Calmini setup show it to be fairly obviously beefier than stock...www.purenissan.com

L&P is no longer a viable company, the guy running it has basically ripped off people on this forum.

You can get a HooHaa centerlink or a Calmini centerlink. The pics for the Calmini setup show it to be fairly obviously beefier than stock...www.purenissan.com

I Was thinking about making one out of a stock center link and I know they built it out of one, I am a decent welder and fabricator. That is why I was looking at pictures I should have phrased that better, I just want to see how others have addressed the design flaws.

The calmini setup is good, but you still have to replace inner and outer tie rods more often (from what I've seen) than you do with the hoohaa style CL. That one is the modified stock CL. It works just fine. I've had mine on for 2 years with no issues, other than having to replace my idler arm bushings.

the hoohaa (grassroots) has a larger end that pivots on a 5/8 bolt rather than a tie-rod that tapers down to 1/4" the end is soppsed to "correct the factory geometry" so other parts don't wear out as fast. I compared the two when I installed mine and there is a differance side by side. and the hoohaa has felt smoother and straighter in all driving conditions.

keep in mind modifying steering parts is completely illegal & would render your insurance void if something was to happen.

theres two pics here of what i did, as it wont let me link from photobucket....

photos

from the stock link i removed the two 'tie rod' style ends, removed the internal plastic bush then welded in some great big dirty bolts. cant remember if they were m14 or m16, one of the two. added some brass & steel washers & twin nuts for simplicity.

i did not do heaps of km's with this set up so i dont know how long the brass washers would last - but they are dirt cheap.

it seemed plenty strong enough, it did get a absolute monstering during a 4wd competion & loved it.

i do agree a bearing welded in would probably be better.

lol seeing those pics @ first I was like " wait is is idler on backwards? no thats the outsie of the drivers frame rail...WTF?"

then I saw you were an ausie and smacked my self lol. nice work tho, I like your brace. I think I'm gonna make a brace for my next idler(once my moog wears out)

No wonder your steering system is illegal and no one will insure you!

it not a matter of not being able to get insurance. it does not need it, its not driven on public roads.

the original poster wanted pics of things he could do, this is just one option of a few. i just mention the disclaimer so some well meaning person doesnt end up the creek without a paddle.

if you have any lift and like to find out what the car is capable of, you will rapidly get sick of replacing stock center links, tie rods & idler arms. inevitably leading to trying to find out if there are other solutions.

when you dont live in the almighty :rolleyes: america, aftermarket support for pathfinders is very few and far between, generally leading to 'home brew' solutions.

fyi: you do realise that calmini, hooha and others are just as illegal as a home brew solution (keeping in mind we are talking about steering here). the only difference is someone is marketing the product.

it not a matter of not being able to get insurance. it does not need it, its not driven on public roads.

the original poster wanted pics of things he could do, this is just one option of a few. i just mention the disclaimer so some well meaning person doesnt end up the creek without a paddle.

if you have any lift and like to find out what the car is capable of, you will rapidly get sick of replacing stock center links, tie rods & idler arms. inevitably leading to trying to find out if there are other solutions.

when you dont live in the almighty :rolleyes: america, aftermarket support for pathfinders is very few and far between, generally leading to 'home brew' solutions.

fyi: you do realise that calmini, hooha and others are just as illegal as a home brew solution (keeping in mind we are talking about steering here). the only difference is someone is marketing the product.

Can anyone show me a picture of how the grassroots centerlink is any different then the stock center link in the pics on grassroots they look just like the stock can see no difference. If anyone can post a pic of it it would be a great help, Thanks for your time.

f73760370166ff78f52413bb8fe960bb.jpg

That's grassroots one. Notice the larger holes on each end. On a stock CL, those are little ball joint type studs. The grassroots CL removes the Ball joints, replaces them with spherical bearings, and allows you to use a 5/8" diameter bolt to go through the CL, and the idler and pitman arms. The idler and pitman arms have to be drilled out to accept the bolts, as opposed to the tapered ball joint type ends on a stock CL. See the picture of the stock CL below, and take note of the ball joint type ends.

83d667ec812302373cabe42c05a8210a.jpg

f73760370166ff78f52413bb8fe960bb.jpg

That's grassroots one. Notice the larger holes on each end. On a stock CL, those are little ball joint type studs. The grassroots CL removes the Ball joints, replaces them with spherical bearings, and allows you to use a 5/8" diameter bolt to go through the CL, and the idler and pitman arms. The idler and pitman arms have to be drilled out to accept the bolts, as opposed to the tapered ball joint type ends on a stock CL. See the picture of the stock CL below, and take note of the ball joint type ends.

83d667ec812302373cabe42c05a8210a.jpg

Thanks allot Simon That is right what I was looking for.

I Was thinking about making one out of a stock center link and I know they built it out of one, I am a decent welder and fabricator. That is why I was looking at pictures I should have phrased that better, I just want to see how others have addressed the design flaws.

you better be damn good otherwise you could kill someone if not yourself.