Brands

Madcat

Hey folks. Ive got a shopping list of crap to replace and fix on the old pathy. Im having trouble deciding brands though. Ive got to change brake pads and shoes, distrubtor rotor and cap, drive belts, timing belt, and fuel filter. Ive already got my Denso plugs and wires. I might go with OEM fuel filter and belts, but I dont see many cheap websites.

Im also looking for good and cheap torque wrench. Any suggestions? As long as its under $100. Thanks folks.

Im also looking for good and cheap torque wrench.

As a professional, I say Craftsman (sears). About the best 'mid quality' around. 90 day warranty. Get the vernier, not the handle window 'digital'. They work well (have had mine for years) but if the handle slips, the windows move and you are screwed. Happened to me twice in 12 years, still need to try to fix the last time, tomorrow... :blink:

Harbor Freight for the torque wrench.

No, I totally disagree. HF sells crap, nothing I'd count on for torquing. I just bought their electric impact wrench for $42! :blink:

If it works for the few times I need it in the next 2 years, fine. It may fail tomorrow.

The hoe I bought from them lasted 30 minutes...

ve got to change brake pads and shoes, distrubtor rotor and cap, drive belts, timing belt, and fuel filter.

I have never been picky about any of these and never had any real problems. Napa, Auto Zone, Kragens, Pep Boys (in that order for my taste) can supply any of them as well as another.

The timing belt, I'd recommend OEM because I believe it is the one that comes with alignment marks which makes the job easier/more confident. Get an new tensioner while you are at it. Search here for more info; I haven't done the job but read the input many times...

B

As B said I also suggest Craftsman for a torque wrench. I did recently but a HF one, but ti was for soemthing not related to auto mechanics... something that just needs to be "close" bit not exact ;)

I personally have never bought a timeing belt (or chain) from a dealer, I get mine from Napa and I have never had any problems. Same goes for the other belts and most small items.

But that's just me *shrug*

I have never bought a timing belt anywhere but Nissan. That's personal preference, and I'd be willing to bet that a lot of them are made in the same place. But I like to KNOW that it's OEM. That's just me. :shrug:

When I do the timing belt job, and the tensioner looks good according to the service manual, should I still change it. The pathy has 87k miles on it, would it be good to change the water pump as well?

It really depends what your time is worth, if you have a good place to work on/park it, if it is your daily driver, etc. You get the picture...

The standard scenario is to replace the timing belt, tensioner (kinda like clutch and pressure plate), waterpump, thermostat, bypass hose and at least look at the front cam seals. The thought is why screw around with the old stuff when if you replace everything when you have it off, it generally will never fail on you during the timing belt change intervals. (which for you is 55 or 60k, that makes it seem extreme. Mine is 105k so I have no issue with it)

I have also had bad luck remounting a fan clutches on used water pumps. They will fail soon afterwards if you have significantly changed the balance. You can mark and clock it but I'm not sure that's good enough. To each their own, but I lean towards PM.

B

Good thing Im changing the distributor cap and rotor. I just checked and the rotor has some life left, but rusty tip. The distributor cap, well, the terminals crumbled a bit when I touched them. Good thing Im changing those, as now the car wont start. Ah well.

It really depends what your time is worth, if you have a good place to work on/park it, if it is your daily driver, etc. You get the picture...

The standard scenario is to replace the timing belt, tensioner (kinda like clutch and pressure plate), waterpump, thermostat, bypass hose and at least look at the front cam seals. The thought is why screw around with the old stuff when if you replace everything when you have it off, it generally will never fail on you during the timing belt change intervals. (which for you is 55 or 60k, that makes it seem extreme. Mine is 105k so I have no issue with it)

I have also had bad luck remounting a fan clutches on used water pumps. They will fail soon afterwards if you have significantly changed the balance. You can mark and clock it but I'm not sure that's good enough. To each their own, but I lean towards PM.

B

Since Im unemployed again my time is immense. I have the sidewalk in front of the house, so that will do nicely. Like you said, if Im working on the timing belt, why not do the rest. Ive ordered the thermostat, its gasket, and bypass hose, Im not so sure about the water pump though.

Im thinking of removing the guard plate so I can get lower access. I think I should considering the condition of the bolts. Now I just need to find appropriate bolts, maybe even a new guard plate. As for the fan, I notice different counts of washers on the fan coupling to the water pump, Ill just copy it when I put the fan back in.

BTW folks, RockAuto.com is freaking fast. It took them, no-lie, one day, to send me those sparkplugs and wires. I ordered them yesterday at 3AM EST (late night video games) and got them today at 1PM EST.