1995 5spd trans is dead, any rebuild ideas?

zack1978

HI everyone,

Well the 5spd transmission in my 1995 SE-V6 4x4 died yesterday after 181,000 miles on it. I am the original owner, and I always drove it gently. I got 155,000 miles out of the original clutch, however when it was replaced I think the trans was run low on oil as a result of the NIssan trans case flaw (see the TSB). A few local trans shops say that 180,000 is a great life for the trans, is it? It had been making noise in all the gears except 4th, but the noise was not that bad. Well yesterday all hell broke loose, and now it is very loud and almost does not move in any gear.

How bad is this trans to rebuild? Any ideas on sources for a good used trans? Are there JDM transmissions available? I was actually thinking of trading in the Path for a Titan, but now I have no choice except to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Zack

HI everyone,

Well the 5spd transmission in my 1995 SE-V6 4x4 died yesterday after 181,000 miles on it. I am the original owner, and I always drove it gently. I got 155,000 miles out of the original clutch, however when it was replaced I think the trans was run low on oil as a result of the NIssan trans case flaw (see the TSB). A few local trans shops say that 180,000 is a great life for the trans, is it? It had been making noise in all the gears except 4th, but the noise was not that bad. Well yesterday all hell broke loose, and now it is very loud and almost does not move in any gear.

How bad is this trans to rebuild? Any ideas on sources for a good used trans? Are there JDM transmissions available? I was actually thinking of trading in the Path for a Titan, but now I have no choice except to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Zack

first off 180 000 is not good, second off rebuild is pointless id get a new transmossion or a used one (used would be a better choice), check the local wreckers and see if they have one

It had been making noise in all the gears except 4th, but the noise was not that bad.

Zack,

That is a symptom of a known problem with these trucks. The cause is low oil levels due to a design flaw.

Read more here in this thread: Manual transmission TSB, major problem potential

IMO (I just had this issue a few months back) your best option is to find the lowest milage used transmission you can find and just swap it in. Once done, folow that TSB to the letter on filling it up. And it might not be a bad idea to refill it with Redline MT90 synthetic gear oil... something I also did.

Zack,

That is a symptom of a known problem with these trucks. The cause is low oil levels due to a design flaw.

Read more here in this thread: Manual transmission TSB, major problem potential

IMO (I just had this issue a few months back) your best option is to find the lowest milage used transmission you can find and just swap it in. Once done, folow that TSB to the letter on filling it up. And it might not be a bad idea to refill it with Redline MT90 synthetic gear oil... something I also did.

Ok well I called a few shops, and the price range is great. The first shop found a used trans with 75,000 miles on it for $750, and his labor would be $400, the second shop has a used trans with 140,000 miles on it and his labor is a bit higher so his out the door cost would be $1400. The second shop also indicated that just because the bearings let go, does not mean that it took the remainder of the trans with it. He indicated that he would remove my trans and open it up to check it out, and if it was JUST the bearings, he would rebuild mine as opposed to the used trans. I have never used the first shop, but I have used the second shop, and they have been honest and good to deal with. Should I go with the cheaper option and have shop one put the 75,000 mile used trans in?

Any ideas?

Zack

The last time I priced everything out for a rebuild, it was somewhere in the $700 range, just for the parts. I picked up a good used trans for $350 from a member on here who was local to me. Do some hunting on CL or your local Junkyards. Remember, you may want to replace the clutch while you are in there, as well as the rear main seal. It will cost a few more bucks, but its good insurance.

^ What he said. Where are you located? There are a lot of people parting out trucks, someone may be conveniently near by. Also, there is a bit of labor involved in swapping trannys. If you can do it yourself, you could save a lot of cash!!

B