Fuel line question

TrailChaser

I just got some of those Neodymium NdFeB Magnets from ebay today in the mail. I got 6 and they are stupid strong :huh: I have never seen or thought I'd see magnets this strong. I'll put it this way... My wife almost couldn't get them out of the mail box at the post office, no chit... They're soo strong they come with little pieces of foam between them to keep them a 1/16 apart, and you still have to use a lot of muscle power to seperate them.

I bought them to attach to my fuel line after researching the subject pretty good. I paid about $6 for the magnets, or $1 apiece. Now all I need to do is attach the south pole side facing the fuel line. I plan on using about 3 of them in a row because the stuff I read on the subject says the more magnets/stronger the magnets the better it will work.

Now for a dumb question... In the pic attached is that my fuel line coming out of the fuel filter, and what's the line beside it that looks the same exept it's not comming out of that tin can looking thing? :unsure:

post-9-1090689249.jpg

hook it up to the line going from the fuel filter (the tin looking can) to the fuel rack.

I attached two of the magnets to the line that comes out of the filter. I just used black tape to attach the first one south pole side touching the fuel line, then I attached the second one on the opposite side of the line south side touching the line so they are repelling each other thru the fuel line... It was kinda hard to get the second one to touch the line while I taped it because the repelling force between the magnets is soo strong.

I hadn't gotten a reply by the time I attached them, but figured I had the right one. Just in case, I attached one magnet to the other line...

What is that other line? It looks like it's connecting to the back fuel rack. If it's just a fuel return like on diesels I'm going to take the magnet off.

are these just to attach the Fuel line to the Frame or other Point? or are they supposed to do something for the Fuel Delivery or something.

Good question...

I found out about this by hunting for fuel saving devices on ebay. One of the fuel savers that caught my eye was the magnetic one. I didn't see any point in paying $25-$50 on one from ebay and figured it was just strong magnets. So I did so research to figure out how/if and why it works. I came up with some pretty convincing reading material on the subject. That's how I found out all you need is a strong neomagnet with the south pole side against the fuel line. The more powerful the magnet the better it's suppost to work.

Here's an pic of how it works.

FMART3.jpg

One website I found on the subject put it this way... You can easily burn a log(wooden log), but if you break that same log into a thousand pieces it'll burn a lot hotter and faster. Suppost to be the same typa thing I guess. Your fuelhas those clusters of hydrocarbon and the outside is the only parts that burn leaving the unburned portions to go out as either carbon deposites or pollution outa the tail pipe.

I'll let you know if I think it works in a week or so.

Links to this convincing reading material? I am really skeptical of these things.

I'd say be very skeptical of these things. I'm just testing it out. (If it don't work I got some cool magnets to play around with.) The more I read up on it the more stuff I find saying it doesn't work... My wife and I keep pretty strict routines during the week. We know exactly how much gas we should use in a givin period of time/miles. We started really watching it when the gas prices hit about $1.80 per gallon. I feel confident that if it doesn't work I'll be able to tell. The only thing I don't like is that I just did the oil change and added some Restore. That stuff may have a influence on the MPG... Also I just put 30x9.5x15 Dayton Timberline A/T's on the back. I'll get the front ones in a couple of weeks

I would be VERY skeptical of these things. I think you just got yourself some cool magnets. =D

Google "fuel line magnets myth"

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/magscams.html#MFT

"An ad in the mail promotes the "Fuel Optimizer". This magnetic device, when positioned over your car's fuel line is said to break apart clusters of fuel molecules sot gas burns more efficiently. I hope you haven't taken out your checkbook. Such scientific fraud is apparently legal."

A literature search for magnetic fuel treatment studies revealed that such studies are practically nonexistent. I found a total of three references. Two of these (Daly 1995; McNeely 1994) were anecdotal accounts describing the use of a magnetic treatment device to kill microorganisms in diesel fuel, a fuel treatment application not usually mentioned by magnetic fuel treatment vendors.

The third reference (Tretyakov et al. 1985) describes tests conducted in which the electrical resistance and dielectric properties of a hydrocarbon fuel were found to change in response to an applied magnetic field. This report does not address whether the observed physical property changes might affect fuel performance in an engine, but it references two research reports that may contain performance data (Skripka et al. 1975; Tretyakov et al. 1975). Unfortunately, I could obtain neither report, and both are written in Russian.

My literature search search found no other credible research reports pertaining to magnetic fuel treatment.

The utter lack of published test data is revealing. According to the vendors, magnetic fuel treatment has been around for at least fifty years. If it actually worked as claimed, it seems likely that it would by now be commonplace. It is not.

Vendors of magnetic fuel treatment sometimes respond to this reasoning with hints that the automobile manufacturers and big oil companies are conspiring to suppress magnetic fuel treatment to maintain demand for gasoline. Such a conspiracy seems quite improbable. This supposed conspiracy has not managed to suppress other fuel-saving innovations such as fuel injection and computerized control.

In summary, I found no test data that support the claims for improved engine performance made by vendors of magnetic fuel treatment devices. Until such data become available, considerable skepticism is justified. At present, it seems quite unlikely that any of the claimed benefits of magnetic fuel treatment are real.

That's pretty mean, but dang funny at the same time.

They have magnetic oil drain plugs out there for your oil pan.

It will be intersting to see if this works, I hope it does, cause I would use them if it does.

As for Gas prices you are lucky its only $1.80

We are finally below the $2.00 range.

Just a side note... I was looking at a couple of companies that sell Neodymium magnets. The ones I have are rated N38 with a pull force of 10.3 in-lbs but I have seen ones of N45 grade that are 6" diameter discs (2" thick) that can lift cars. They run about $300 each but it may be worth it to order one. I can just imagine the postman coming to the door saying that he had a package for me but he can't get it off his truck because it's stuck to the wall. Word is that these big magnets will effect everything electronic in your room. Check out the description of just the 2" cylinders:

New, grade N42, high quality nickel plated cylindrical magnet. Poles are on flat surfaces. Very powerful. Need planning how to handle it. Every move with it must be monitored. Watch for scissors, watches, forks, knives all around path of movement of magnet. Never try to put it against heavy iron or two magnets together. The force is so great it will crack from an impact. If your hand would be between magnet and heavy iron or worse another big magnet, you figure out what would happen. To work with this magnet need two people for safety. It need to be locked after use in wooden or plastic bigger box with iron shielding all around. For professional people only. Using 10 such magnets in two opposing assemblies with reverse poles you can build magnetic beam amplifier - US Patent 5929732 and make a arc 5 feet long from only 7.5 - 10kV - unknown phenomenon (normally you get only 3/4" spark in an air).

post-9-1090935108.jpg

Daaaaayum. That's a BURLY magnet. Once when I was moving my subwoofer around inside my living room, I carried it past the TV and the screen changed colors and the picture warped very nicely...big magnet on the backside of that sub. Magnets are cool. Now, if they could only figure out how to make monopole magnets, we'd be getting somewhere....

Hey guys, Im a Chem major in college now and Im extremely doubtful of these magnets. Even IF they split aparts the molecules of the gas, the molecules are still magnetically charged, meaning they will just reconnect once past the magnets. thats just my own opinion.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Well I still can't tell any difference in the mpg... I do have a hp/torque increase, but I give that credit to the Restore I added about the same time as these magnets...

Looks like I got some really cool magnets to play with after all... :P

Just a side note... I was looking at a couple of companies that sell Neodymium magnets. The ones I have are rated N38 with a pull force of 10.3 in-lbs but I have seen ones of N45 grade that are 6" diameter discs (2" thick) that can lift cars. They run about $300 each but it may be worth it to order one. I can just imagine the postman coming to the door saying that he had a package for me but he can't get it off his truck because it's stuck to the wall. Word is that these big magnets will effect everything electronic in your room. Check out the description of just the 2" cylinders:

I think you can get more speed with on of those magnets... You just have to be very careful and use it like racecar drivers use drafting...

Let it pull you close to the car in front of you,,, then change lanes real fast to avoid rear-ending them. and slingshot around and to the next car. :rolleyes::D

ps: If people who skake are skaters, and people who play the piano are pianist, why do you suppose they don't call racecar drivers racist? :shrug::D