29x11.50 r15 Super Swampers

Pathmaster95

I just ordered my new 15x8 rims. They are American Racing Chambers with 3.75" BS. I have been trying to find a good mud tire with the same diameter as the 235/75's but wanted something a little wider. A 265/70 would have been perfect but I could only find it in an AT. I think I have finally found what I was looking for. A 29x11.50 r15 Super Swamper SSR. I will have a small diameter like the 235s but the wider tread will give me some good flotation. The 8" wheel is the minimum width wheel that these will fit. I will finally have a tire that will extend out to the edge of the flares. Have any of you guys used these tires? If so, tell me what you thought of them, good and bad. I am still a little up in the air. If I don't get these I will probably end up with the 29x10.50 trxxus STS's. Those are some freaky looking tires and I am not real sure how they will handle mud. Mud is usually all I drive through that requires 4wd. I do alot of offroading but mostly just dirt, not many rocks or sand. Occasionally it does rain when I am out and the dirt I drove over to get in, turns to some really nasty mud going out. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

29"!? whats wrong with 31x10.50? They came on many Pathfinders stock (like mine) and there are plenty of AT & MT tread options in this size from almost every brand out there.

I've got good things to say about the Uniroyal Laredo good in dirt, gravel, dirt after 45 min of rain(mud) slush sludge and snow as well as a good quiet higway ride. I'm Gonna try the Nokian Vatiiva mt next.

That was kind of my thought. 31x10.5's seem perfect for stock pathys but I do hear what he is saying about wanting the extra width... Perhaps he has the 4.3 gearing. I have the 4.6 gears with 235/65/15 tires and don't like it, it revs too high. :shrug:

I don't know these tires. Have you looked in the tire thread under product review on the main page?

B

I know the 31's will fit but I would like my mpg to stay as close to what it is now as possible. I have the 4.6 gears and love the power they provide. The largest size tire my sticker mentions is the 235/75. I don't care about the 1" of increased ground clearance the 31's would provide. I think the 3.5" increase in width will benefit me alot more than 1" of height and only 2.5" of width. I seen someone make mention of the SSRs in the tire review, but they were asking for a review and nobody posted anything else on them. Not to mention, I think these tires will just look bad ass. They are after all, Super Swampers.

The difference between 29's and 31's in power and/or MPG would be negligible.

I have gone from 30" tires to 33" tires with no noticeable change in MPG. :shrug:

You are sorta right, there would be a change in mileage. There would also be a loss of power, wich could also be considered negligible, but it is there. There is also an increased strain on all drivetrain components and steering. Mostly, I do not want the 31's. I could come up with a hundred reasons but want is the #1.

between 29 and 31 the differance in MPG is almost negliable if your comparing 2 AT tires. mainly its the rotating weight and the width of the contact patch somone once told me a 20 lb increase in rotating mass the equivalant of a 100lb increas in dead weight.

Economy 29" street tires weigh 1/2 as much and a contact patch of 7-8" makes for lesser rolling resitance. consider that 29x11.5 is wide contact patch and the weght of the at tread involved as well.

B, I saw the Vatiiva mt on the top of the list on N4W's tire review section once section so I thought I would geive em a try. They look pretty sweet too, but then again my Laredos don't look special and they've performed great so far so I guess I'll find out if I'm trading form before function or not.

Edited by MY1PATH

There is also an increased strain on all drivetrain components and steering. Mostly, I do not want the 31's. I could come up with a hundred reasons but want is the #1.

And here folks, are the deciding factors. It's all good, everyone sets up their truck the way they want.

B, I saw the Vatiiva mt on the top of the list on N4W's tire review section once section so I thought I would geive em a try. They look pretty sweet too, but then again my Laredos don't look special and they've performed great so far so I guess I'll find out if I'm trading form before function or not.

Great, another tire to consider!! I'm fairly certain I'll go with BFG AT or MT in 31" or 33" (x10.5). Just haven't decided on being practical or not. Regardless, I drive the truck maybe 7,000 miles a year so whatever I get, I'll have them for a long time. :shrug:

B