Don't know what year mine is

TerranoMW

Hi, new here, but have an immediate question. Well, a few questions, but in order to get parts and other stuff for my car, I need to find out what year my Terrano is. I don't have any papers for it from before it was imported from South Africa a few years back. I just purchased it from somebody who was leaving Malawi, he told me it's a 99, but all the registration papers say it's a 1990 (not surprising in order to decrease customs taxes), but after some research and photos, I'm sure it's somewhere between 96 to 99 at a stretch. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to find out what year my car is? It's not on the vehicle as everything's in Japanese. Maybe I need to find somebody who can read Japanese . . or do I need to call the factory in Japan? Don't tell me to go to the local dealer because they have no idea. Photos attached and some vital specs:

R50 Model R3m

Engine TD27ETI

Engine Size 2.7 litres (2663 cc)

Turbo

Diesel

4 wheel drive

5 speed manual

Very grateful.

post-5768-1220991411_thumb.jpg

post-5768-1220991427_thumb.jpg

post-5768-1220991709_thumb.jpg

Based on the north american pathy's you are correct in thinking you have one from 96-99.

Mine has the manufacture date on the sticker inside the door jamb. And as laxman said, I believe you can get the year from your vin #.

Based on the north american pathy's you are correct in thinking you have one from 96-99.

Mine has the manufacture date on the sticker inside the door jamb. And as laxman said, I believe you can get the year from your vin #.

Yeah what she said... :hide:

Sorry I'm a slow poster.

Given that it's a foreign diesel model, it will have different emissions and options, which can make it harder to narrow down. If it were a North American model, I would say it's a 97 or 98 SE, based on the alloy wheels, tire carrier, step rails, and fender flares. In 99, the flares were body-colored, not black plastic.

However, not being a North American model, it'll be tougher to nail down the exact year from pics alone. The VIN is the best way to check for sure.

Edited by XPLORx4

No They had black flares in 99 too. It's when they changed over to the newer r50 body style that they went body colored.

But if you need a part just say 99 ....The 96-99 are all pratically the same.

Edited by redfinder

No They had black flares in 99 too. It's when they changed over to the newer r50 body style that they went body colored.

But if you need a part just say 99 ....The 96-99 are all pratically the same.

unless you are looking for a diesel part since noone here knows if the diesels changed from 96-99, but any other part you can pick any year

if its the same 17 didget style v.i.n. as U.S. models, it would be the 10th didget that tells you the year. If I remember correctly t=1996 v=1997 w=1998 x=1999 y=2000

Thanks, guys, this is all very useful and encouraging. The identification plate under the hood gives the following:

Type - KD-PR50

Chassis No. - PR50-006339

Engine - TD27(ETi) 2664

Model - VVPZRSFR50UDATH (this is listed as the VIN on the registration)

The model aka VIN no. is only 15 digits, not 17, and it's completely different from the info on http://www.courtesyparts.com/specs/vin.html.

Drat.

Can anybody make heads or tails out of this? Any more suggestions?

Maybe I do need to find somebody who can read Japanese to read the sticker inside the drivers door . . .

Yes, from a lot of photos that I looked up, as well as specs for different years, it falls into 96-99. I know most of the parts are the same for those years, that's okay when I just ordered front struts, but I will need to know exactly what year it is in future.

Any advice welcome.

hmmm... did some research and found... well, not much. VIN#'s are typically 17 digits.

I would double check that # with a # on the truck... mine has the VIN on the dash, you have to read it from outside through the windshield.

Are you ordering parts from Nissan? Maybe they can help you out?

Another place, and this could be a shot in the dark, would be the Australian forums, as they may get a few more japanese terranos there than we do.... http://pcoa.org.au/forum/index.php

There is no VIN on Japan cars!! The date then his car was made is october 1995.

Sorry, please clarify. Very curious. How do you know there's no VIN on Japanese cars? And how do you come up with Oct 95?? You have some information that the rest of us don't have? Please share. Very grateful.

/\ ditto.

I did find in my searches that the VIN is typically a North American thing.

If he is correct saying it was made Oct 95, then you would have the 96 model year.

Terrano (Japan Pathfinder) is popular car in our country (Kazakhstan) and Russia, and i got a second terrano, it was a 21 model at first. If some one know russian :) he may try to find info about this cars in runet, or japan sites i think. First version of r50 in japan come from second part of 1995 y. What about of year this car, goto this site http://www.drom.ru/frameno/ and input a PR50-006339 into field.

Edited by Rinat

Can anybody read Russian???? This is what comes up when I follow runet's directions:

Производитель: Nissan

Кузов: PR50006339

Дата выпуска: Октябрь 1995 года (1995.10)

Внимание! Именно такого номера в базе нет, произведен подбор даты по ближайшим известным номерам. Возможно, данные неточны, и дата выпуска отличается на 1-2 месяца.

It definitely says something about October 1995. What else does it say?

chessy online translation:

The manufacturer: Nissan

Body: PR50006339

Date of issue: October, 1995 (1995.10)

Attention! Such number in base is not present, selection of date under the nearest known numbers is made. Probably, data are inexact, and the date of issue differs for 1-2 months.