powertrain swap 88/01

travelcarpenter

awesome! I been on my toes since you first mentioned this project. I'm glad you followed thru!

So the new alty and ps pump are on the correct sides now right? (alty on batt side and ps on steering box side) so you just went and got the shorter steering lines that would have been used on the donor nissan? or is everything in the same 3.0 layout so you didn't have to mess with it.

I assume a/c comprssor will have to be adapted?

edit:

what about emissons stuff? will that have to be swapped?

Edited by MY1PATH

awesome! I been on my toes since you first mentioned this project. I'm glad you followed thru!

So the new alty and ps pump are on the correct sides now right? (alty on batt side and ps on steering box side) so you just went and got the shorter steering lines that would have been used on the donor nissan? or is everything in the same 3.0 layout so you didn't have to mess with it.

I assume a/c comprssor will have to be adapted?

edit:

what about emissons stuff? will that have to be swapped?

I just used all the accessories off the new engine. Made my 88 powersteering line fit. Only, need one new line for the a/c to convert. Alternator uses same connector. I got the engine with the wiring harness and computer already installed. Use the old exhaust manifolds. There is just 5 wires to supply 12v to, and a few wires to ground and you are in business. Also just use the radiator hoses off the engine year vehicle. Swap motor mounts. Its actually really really easy now that I figured it out. If you also run the transmission thats the same year as the transmission you can use computer diagnostics on it.

Is there a specific reason you went with the old exhaust manifold? Did you swap the studs for the newer studs? or did you keep the older ones? The newer ones are thicker and less prone to breakage if I recall...but awesome build! keep us posted...

Is there a specific reason you went with the old exhaust manifold? Did you swap the studs for the newer studs? or did you keep the older ones? The newer ones are thicker and less prone to breakage if I recall...but awesome build! keep us posted...

Not thicker, just a different formula of metal that won't crack.

The new style exhaust manifolds wont work with the old style motor mounts. The exhaust studs are different sizes so the ones off the old engine will not work. Hoping to get the exterior cage and exhaust done tomorrow. Its got a 3" body and 3" Calmini suspension lift with 33" tires and .75" off the front wheel wells all the way around. Gonna run true duel custom exhaust with with no cats and O2 simulators because I am going to be swapping the pulley on the supercharger. I thought the hood fit because it shuts nice and easy but I put some chalk on it and it apparently does touch. So, I am going to have to do some cutting. I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow. Its gonna be wild!