UH OH! Now what? *NEW UPDATE*

PDCCD

My VQ did the SAME EXACT thing one morning on my way to work. I accelerated up a hill to about 45 mph and it was very sluggish, almost like I had a trailer i tow. Then I came to a stop at a light about 2 mins. after accelerating and immediately I noticed a very loud tapping in the top of the engine. It almost reminded me of the sound you'd hear at idle of an engine with a bad exhaust manifold. It varied with engine speed too. After starting from the light again after about 30 secs. it went away and I never heard it again. But after checking the oil I noticed it was about 2 quarts low. Was that anything like what you noticed?

Getting to the screws will do nothing but tell you that you've lost one (or a few) and give you the opportunity to tighten any loose ones. The problem with loosing any into the engine is the risk of scoring the cylinder walls, dropping compression and consuming oil )kind of sounds like what WOOD went through)

Just checked the oil level, it was down about half a quart or so. Sound dosn't seem like it's going away. Pretty noisy. Sounds like our Volkswagen Turbo diesel. Not good. Wish i knew for sure what is was before the dealer gets it. Does seem just like yours though.

oh, and didn't see any smoke from the exhaust, some morning condensation for a min. or less, but then it was clear.

Edited by PDCCD

Well, it's done. I've dropped it at the dealer. first time i've had to have someone else work on it in 2 or 3 years. I feel like a failure. :( Some one else's hands are on my girl.

I should have added earlier that after a few min mine spit the screw out the exhaust as i never heard the tapping again...thats how i meant i dodged the bullet, if yours is still tapping its either not kicking it out or you have something else going on too..sorry to hear man, best of luck with the dealer report.

I should have added earlier that after a few min mine spit the screw out the exhaust as i never heard the tapping again...thats how i meant i dodged the bullet, if yours is still tapping its either not kicking it out or you have something else going on too..sorry to hear man, best of luck with the dealer report.

Ahh, got it. The screw made it all the way through the exhaust!? How the heck did it past the cat? That's Crazy. Anyway, the dealers service manager claimed he has only seen the problem once on a altima (or was it maxima), and never on a pathfinder. I assured him the screw problem is happening, all over the country, and he just shook his head in doubt. This is not going to be fun in any way.

Ahh, got it. The screw made it all the way through the exhaust!? How the heck did it past the cat? That's Crazy. Anyway, the dealers service manager claimed he has only seen the problem once on a altima (or was it maxima), and never on a pathfinder. I assured him the screw problem is happening, all over the country, and he just shook his head in doubt. This is not going to be fun in any way.

No kidding...Nissan service managers love to plead the fifth with this problem. I had the SAME EXACT issue with my 2002 QR25DE powered SE-R Sentra (same engine as the 4 cylinder Altima's) My engine actually DID eat a screw that bent the sh!t out of the side electrode on the plug...I bogged down on 3 cylinders with 3/4 acceleration on the skinny pedal in third gear doing about 65 mph (on the highway) The QR's are NOTORIOUS for this problem (esp. the production date 2001-late models which mine was) The entire engine was replaced with a 2005 one under warranty...and the service manager claimed he'd never once heard the issue before. That's exact reason was why I ended up getting rid of that car and into the Pathy...mainly because of it's still Japanese-built roots (the Sentra's prooudly made in Mexico) Little did I know this issue is becoming mainstream with them.

They need to get their head out of their a$$es is what needs to happen...and stop meddling in joint ventures with Renault and GM!

I told the local service manager here to his face he needs to do the research and get his facts straight, i dont care how aware he personally is of the issue that im having but when its happening all over the country or world, they need to take notice and if its not yet an expensive enough issue to recall or take responsibility for, at least be aware and point us to the proper fix with the proper pieces, show us your on the side of the car and the consumer instead of the sales managers....sigh lol have had this issues with the screws on the pathy and on the 2k maximas (ex wifes old car) there was a problem with the DEK manifold actuator valve or whatever that opened the second stage of the intake breaking off inside, of course old folk who never get to the upper rpm range wont have that problem but the people who drive the car are also smart enough to find a way to fix it without having to spend $500+ on a new intake.

oh i dont know that it made it all the way through i just meant out of the engine, if i pulled the cat i may just find a lil brass nub that used to be a screw :O lol

No kidding...Nissan service managers love to plead the fifth with many problems.

They need to get their head out of their a$$es is what needs to happen...and stop meddling in joint ventures with Renault and GM!

Fixed that for ya :aok:

The service manager here told me that they've NEVER heard of or seen the wd21 frame rot issue, OR The leaking fuel filler issue that my father had on his r50, they didn't even cover him under the recall!

Fixed that for ya :aok:

LOL thanks :aok:

The service manager here told me that they've NEVER heard of or seen the wd21 frame rot issue, OR The leaking fuel filler issue that my father had on his r50, they didn't even cover him under the recall!

Yep. another classic issue. I'm not bashing Nissan service managers by themselves and saying they're peons compared to the rest of the industry...in fact I think they're actually pretty good (compared to some of the other dealers I've dealt with) and the denials they have are probably from a higher power instructing them to do it...they're not going to just admit to every common issue they're cars have. That could cost the company millions in settlements. Nissans of late (2000+) just seem to have some inherent issues with them that are worse than normal it seems (powertrain wise)

So the service guy call today at 930am. Says his tech believes it might be a power valve screw (like he didn't hear me yesterday when i told them to start there) and said it would cost $250 to take off the intake and verify. I said go for it, it's what it's there for. I ask who's gonna pay for it if it is. he said contact nissan, gave me the number, and i did. He said he'd call back and let me know what they found, never did call me back. Talked to a customer rep with nissan who took my info and problem down, and said someone would contact me tomorrow after contacting dealer and evaluating request for "financial assistance". I called the dealer back at 4pm and yep, number 3 cylinder is missing a screw, so they took out the plugs and tried to fish it out, no luck. So, he said my options were, leave it there and hopes it burns out, said it's already allot smaller than it's supposed to be, or remove the head and get it out (the $3000 dollar 22 hour option). So that's what i've got so far. I'll keep you all updated as i hear from nissan. I'm not holding my breath there. I guess my next call is to the Attorney general of my current state and the state i bought it in, but i don't hold allot of hope there either. The service guy said he believes nissan will claim it's out of warranty and not their problem, which i might buy if this was a wear item, but come-on, it's not even close. It's loctite on a friggin screw. I bought japanese hoping to avoid the domestic type issues.

Anyway, if you have a 2002 vq35(first year with the engine i belive), get going, don't procrastinate like me, and get those screw tight. I wonder if they got their heads out of their asses and did it right after that? Maybe everyone with a vq35 should get going on this. Better safe than sorry.

Pete

Edited by PDCCD

So the service guy call today at 930am. Says his tech believes it might be a power valve screw (like he didn't hear me yesterday when i told them to start there) and said it would cost $250 to take off the intake and verify. I said go for it, it's what it's there for. I ask who's gonna pay for it if it is. he said contact nissan, gave me the number, and i did. He said he'd call back and let me know what they found, never did call me back. Talked to a customer rep with nissan who took my info and problem down, and said someone would contact me tomorrow after contacting dealer and evaluating request for "financial assistance". I called the dealer back at 4pm and yep, number 3 cylinder is missing a screw, so they took out the plugs and tried to fish it out, no luck. So, he said my options were, leave it there and hopes it burns out, said it's already allot smaller than it's supposed to be, or remove the head and get it out (the $3000 dollar 22 hour option). So that's what i've got so far. I'll keep you all updated as i hear from nissan. I'm not holding my breath there. I guess my next call is to the Attorney general of my current state and the state i bought it in, but i don't hold allot of hope there either. The service guy said he believes nissan will claim it's out of warranty and not their problem, which i might buy if this was a wear item, but come-on, it's not even close. It's loctite on a friggin screw. I bought japanese hoping to avoid the domestic type issues.

Anyway, if you have a 2002 vq35(first year with the engine i belive), get going, don't procrastinate like me, and get those screw tight. I wonder if they got their heads out of their asses and did it right after that? Maybe everyone with a vq35 should get going on this. Better safe than sorry.

Pete

Thanks for the update...I was wondering what the verdict was going to be and even more interested to see if, based on your trip to the dealer, what I had heard from my VQ that one day was in fact a screw falling out. My question is: how can you leave it in there if the engine's making such a terrible noise?

I believe late build 2000 Pathy's were the first to get the VQ's, but it's happening on 04's even. It's a terrible design flaw!! And they don't give a rat's about it either.

I'm pulling for you man...I really hope those 1-800-a$$-hole Nissan North America d!ckwads don't pull the out of warranty sh!t on you. It's reasons like this I may never buy another NEW nissan again...they're build quality and customer relations have simply gone down the sh!tter.

Keep us updated!

Gianni

Sorry, thought i read somewhere it was august 2001 they started the vq35.

My 2001 was built in October 2000 and has the VQ motor. I would say that is wrong.

Edited by 01LE

Sorry, thought i read somewhere it was august 2001 they started the vq35.

It was the August 01 build date that the VQ in our Pathys went from easy-to-adjust shims for the lifters to expensive bucket type. You know, the kind that require the motor to be removed to replace a simple little thimble sized piece. The $3,000 solution, thanks Nissan :thumbsdown:

I'm pretty sure that only the VQ engines mated to the automatic trannys have the power valves. MTs didnt come with them from what ive seen. So far, dont quote me on this. But you can check really easy if you have them or not. Just look for the actuator under the upper intake plenum.

I'm pretty sure that only the VQ engines mated to the automatic trannys have the power valves. MTs didnt come with them from what ive seen. So far, dont quote me on this. But you can check really easy if you have them or not. Just look for the actuator under the upper intake plenum.

You're right. I think this was realized by Bowtied in the pinned topic related to VQ engine damage. According to the FSM, there are none shown on the AT's.

As expected, Nissan told me to go rub off. The bitch, upon hearing that i believed this to be negligence and not a materials or workmanship issue offered me the number for the BBB. So funny.

Anyway, can anyone confirm absolutely that these are screws are brass please? My odds will greatly improve if that is the case.

Edited by PDCCD

Man I hate to tell you...They are not brass. They stuck to my magnetic screw driver. This doesn'tmean that the truck is shot, it will still run even after having this traumatic event--I would totally place complaints everywhere so that this may make a difference eventually.

Edited by 02silverpathy