HELP! What the heck is this crap?

statikuz

Jacked up the front of my truck today to take the wheels off and get those front gap guards on, and noticed this red grease stuff all over the place, it looks like it must have shot out of something somewhere. What is it? Did I kill something?

This is the driver's side, I think you guys know your way around to tell what the picture is of. You can see globs of it on the upper and lower control arms too. :confused:

post-9-1089932872.jpg

My first thought is to check your CV boots and all your rubbers around your ball joints.

More likely your ball joints than CV boots, as i have never seen red Molly CV greese before. Not impossible though.

Rubber greese is quite often red, but where that would have come from other than the brake calipers is beyond me.

No, most likely the ball joints me thinks. Does happen when give a ponding off road if they have been greased recently.

Any one else got ideas??

Pete.

Alrighty, thanks, there was a little on the passenger side too that seemed to have oozed out of one of the steering joint things... I'll go check... =(

Edit: Yeah it seemed to be oozing out of those grease joint fitting things on the steering joints, like the one in the middle of the picture. Should I get a greasegun and shoot em back up with more grease or what?

Does it have a greese nipple on the to of it??

Is that what you mean, its hard to see in the photo.

My thoughts are that if the rubbers look good, then put a couple of pumps in, but no more, as they must have had to much greese in them for it to ooze out like that i guess.

You could have burst a rubber. If they have nipples on the top of the joints, then its likely if you don't do your sevicing your self, that the mechanic gave them a bit of a grease and put to much in, and its just the greese oozing out around the bottoms of the rubbers.

That is the most likely reason.

So on that note, don't greese them, but just check they are ok. Don't want you to damage the ball joints from not enough greese because of me!!!!!

Maybe that's the case, I didn't look right after they did the change but that's probably it. It was one of those full-service bits where they check lots of stuff out. *whew =)

That's personally why I try my best to change my own oil and grease my own car. Every time I take it to a shop they use their grease guns and blow the grease out of all the rubber. It's just easier and takes less time for them...and most of them could care less because they make $7 an hour. I have also noticed they overfill my car with oil...usually about 1-2 quarts. They charged me for 5 quarts one time and I said "how is that possible? This car takes no more than about 3." Well, they said "our charts blah blah" and I checked the oil, got a refund for 2 quarts and they drained off the excess. Basically, people today are idiots and you have to watch your donkey or you'll be trampled by people trying to screw you. Glad it wasn't something more serious blown.

Ya gotta remember that everytime you take your pathy into a place like that, you are trusting it to a bunch of low-life grubbies making min wage who don't give a crap about your vehicle. These are probably guys who couldn't get hired at the local McDonalds because they couldn't be trained to flip a burger. Oh well... it's not like they work for the cable company or anything. That'd really be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

;)

Ya gotta remember that everytime you take your pathy into a place like that, you are trusting it to a bunch of low-life grubbies making min wage who don't give a crap about your vehicle. These are probably guys who couldn't get hired at the local McDonalds because they couldn't be trained to flip a burger. Oh well... it's not like they work for the cable company or anything. That'd really be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

;)

Ouch. I do believe you should hide. A fire storm is coming. :hide::P

I agree with K9 completely. Except the cable company thing. Well except they keep hiking up the price.

Most of them are either High School drop outs or crack heads (the one's I have seen in Seattle anyways).

They to but 5 quarts in my Pathy once and I haven't been back since.

Back on topic...

So is it bad to "blow out" the old grease when adding new grease to the zerk fittings? I was taught to add grease until old grease starts oozing from around the bushings you are greasing.

...so is it bad to "blow out" the old grease when adding new grease to the zerk fittings? I was taught to add grease until old grease starts oozing from around the bushings you are greasing....

That's what I do. If I have done alot of water/mudhole crossings, I fill until all the water and contaminates come out.