A/C Compressor Belt

Has anyone ever had their idler pulley go bad? I was wondering how hard it is to replace the idler pulley and Air compressor belt myself, because I'm not really in the mood to pay an extra $100 in labor.

Edited by 95champagnepath

Has anyone ever had their idler pulley go bad? I was wondering how hard it is to replace the idler pulley and Air compressor belt myself, because I'm not really in the mood to pay an extra $100 in labor.

Pulleys do wear out over time. It is not very difficult to replace it at all.

Is it as simple as just unscrewing it and screwing in a new one?

Pretty much. I have changed them on a Suburban and a Mustang. Before you start look at the pulley you are replacing to see what you might need to pre-load the spring on the pulley if it is a tensioner also.

The pulley just comes off after you remove the bolt, make sure the little sleeves or w/e they were go back in the same order on the new one. There is no spring it is adjusted by the bolt right behind and above the pulley.

Yep, tension is adjusted by the bolt near the pulley, and its simply loosen, remove belt, remove pulley if needed, add new parts, install is reverse. I just did this, and did all the belts, in probably 1/2 hour... well, 1 hour with beer break. Basic tools (and beer) are all that's required.

Is there a specification to how tight the pulley should be, or do you just screw the pulley in, till it stops?

Do I have to remove the other two belts in order to remove and replace the Compressor belt?

What may cause the idler pulley to jam?

Is there a specification to how tight the pulley should be, or do you just screw the pulley in, till it stops?

Do I have to remove the other two belts in order to remove and replace the Compressor belt?

I don't know if it has to be torqued, but like mr. p said you have to loosen the nut that holds it on to adjust it anyways. All I did was tighten it down nice and snug with a 3/8 drive ratchet with the appropriate socket. Yeah you have to remove the power steering belt IIRC to replace the a/c one. You might was well change all 3 while your in there.

I've never heard of the pulley jamming...But I bet if it was left worn on there long it enough it could seize.

I just had the other two belts replaced about 3 months ago. Is there an easy way to remove the belts? Yeah it kinda made a loud pop and then a screech sound for like 30 seconds and I pulled over after smelling something burning. I looked at and had noticed that the pulley wasn't spinning and the Belt was just melting and wearing away. So I figured that the pulley had jammed or something.

Yes.

The idler pulley is on a bearing. Your bearing has frozen. You have to buy a new one, remove the idler pulley (and mount? unsure) via the one bolt in the center, remove the old bearing/race assembly (it may be pressed or corroded into place), install the new bearing/race assembly and bolt it back on. I've done this before on my previous Nissan D720, but not on a Pathy. The process should be VERY similiar; it was fairly easy to do...

Belt tension: the manual will say something like 1/2 of movement in the middle of the longest free run of the belt or something, I'll check the manual when I get home. Rule of thumb is "tight enough so they don't slip". Too tight, and you start wearing out bearings and bushings. I'll usually set the belt tension, test it out briefly, adjust it as necessary and then leave those tools in the truck. If one starts slipping a few days later, it takes 5 minutes to adjust...

B

I found a belt and idler pulley on autoanything.com for $50. So I'm probably going to do that instead of taking it in and paying $175. Will the bearings come with it or would they come separate? Is it ok to drive without the pulley or with it jammed? I figure the only thing i'll lose is the A/C, which I can go without.

I have no idea if the bearing will come with the pulley, I'd guess not if it isn't stated.

You shouldn't need a new pulley, just bearing it rides on. Take the belt off (cut it off if it is damaged) and then remove the idler pulley assembly, you can drive with out it. Take the assembly apart to determine what you need to order. It's only take 1 day max longer to order parts and you could save some $. :shrug:

B

Sorry, but I already ordered the parts from autoanything. SO in order to replace this pulley I have to remove the Power Steering belt, the idler pulley. and A/C compressor belt in order. That's all I have to do right?

You loosen the bolt on the power steering pump, it is behind the pulley, thats why there is a hole in the pulley, you have to line it up. Then there is an assembly on the ps pump to tighten and loosen the belt.