fuel leak - what to do

FUELER

posting this for a friend:

I have a fuel leak from the fuel lines in my pathy and its on one of the holders that keep the hard lines to the frame rails how do I do a quick fix to get it to the shop?

I'd buy the line are replace it, but thats not what you are asking... Since it is a pressurized line, the options are limited. This should work fine though. Take a thin strip (just wide enough to cover the hole) of electrical tape or something similiar

and wrap it around the fuel line, stopping the leak. Next, clean the area around the tape well. Get some JB weld, epoxy or anything else of that nature that is relatively quick setting and chemical resistant. Cover the tape and the clean area of the fuel line (all the way around!!) with a unbroken layer of the goo you decided to use. Let it dry, then fire her up and check for leaks. It should last well enough to drive it to a shop.

*looks forward to hearing other ideas)

B

I'd buy the line are replace it, but thats not what you are asking... Since it is a pressurized line, the options are limited. This should work fine though. Take a thin strip (just wide enough to cover the hole) of electrical tape or something similiar

and wrap it around the fuel line, stopping the leak. Next, clean the area around the tape well. Get some JB weld, epoxy or anything else of that nature that is relatively quick setting and chemical resistant. Cover the tape and the clean area of the fuel line (all the way around!!) with a unbroken layer of the goo you decided to use. Let it dry, then fire her up and check for leaks. It should last well enough to drive it to a shop.

*looks forward to hearing other ideas)

B

I would suggest in addition:

place a strip of medical gauze over and/or around over the JB weld or epoxy before it sets.

Is the cost of a tow to the shop worth gambling you don't burn you truck to the ground? Or worse yet hurt someone or some firefighter in the process? If you have a fuel injected vehicle the pressure in the lines is high maybe 50psi.

If you do decide to patch it, do so in a safe area and keep your trouble light away from the area, especially if it is an older incandescent light!

They do make high pressure fuel hose... not sure if that will work in your case. But if you try that, triple hose clamp each end and make as short of a run as possible.

Good luck.

Is the cost of a tow to the shop worth gambling you don't burn you truck to the ground? Or worse yet hurt someone or some firefighter in the process? If you have a fuel injected vehicle the pressure in the lines is high maybe 50psi.

If you do decide to patch it, do so in a safe area and keep your trouble light away from the area, especially if it is an older incandescent light!

They do make high pressure fuel hose... not sure if that will work in your case. But if you try that, triple hose clamp each end and make as short of a run as possible.

Good luck.

Paranoid much?