What kind of bumper would you go with?

TrailChaser

If you could build a steel/iron bumper which materials would you use?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. If you could build a steel/iron bumper which materials would you use?

• 4"x6" square tubing
    • Square tubing with one 2 3/8" pipe underneath
    • Two 2 7/8" pipes stacked
    • 4"x8" square tubing
    • ARB/TJM sheetmetal style

I've been wanting to get this project started for some time now. the main problem I'm having is deciding what metal to use, and what design I want to go with. I weld for a living so the actual building of the bumper is the easy part. I can get just about any kind of metal from work for free, or at cost if I have to cut into new stock. I'm building this back bumper first. Then I plan on building a front bumper/brushgaurd to match or at least be a similar style.

If you where a welder or had access to free or really cheap metal and welding supplies what would you build for your Pathfinder?

So far I haven't made very many things. I get what's left over after I eat on my hour lunch break to do whatever I want in the shop. That's about 40mins a day, 5 days a week.

I've made a "bigger than you can buy" rear hiddin hitch carrier that would normally sell for $60 to $150, and I got bored one day and made a "4x4" symbol to cover the hole in that hitch while nothing is attached.

Sorry about messing up the voting part, I don't know what happened... Anyway, if you could just write it in a reply that would be great.

Here's a few pics so you can what I was talking about.

post-9-1089852537.jpg

well ... in my case I decided to go with 2" schedule 40 round tubing for my sliders ... the biggest reason for this was because the amount of surface area a round pipe actually strikes with a rock versus using square tubing is signifigantly less, thus making it easier to "slide" off of obstacles ... so from there I decided that since my sliders were round tubing, I wanted my front and rear bumpers to match ... I haven't done the rear yet... but I think that it was a wise choice to go with all round tubing in my case ...

the only real downside to using it is that it is more expensive than sqaure tubing ... but seeing as you are a welder, you probably have a good resource to get steel at near stock value or better like I did ...

That is a very good point MatterHorn.

I had not considered that at all. I was only thinking about looks. :shrug: I just figured whatever I used was going to be plenty strong enough, but didn't consider the surface area difference for when I get hung up.

I was originally thinking of using 1"x2" tubing for rocker panel protection, and just making it flush with the body, or making some kind of step out of it.

I like the 2" pipe all round ideal, but I'd have to go with bigger 2 3/8" pipe because thats what we have an abundunce of at work. I can use all that stuff I want. The only drawback to using pipes instead of square tubing is that I plan on using the back bumper as an air tank, and I think the tubing would probably have a few more square inches of room inside. If I do use pipes I'm going to stack 2 or 3 and connect them together by using really small pieces of pipe cut to fit in between them.

I wasn't familiar with the added option so I did a google seach... The picture at the bottom of the page is a TJM Rear Bumper...

The SALE price on that thing is $845.05

Could you imagine paying that much for a rear bumper... That one's for a Toy Land Cruiser... I bet the guy with the 600hp "Bimmer" would buy one for his H2 in a heartbeat... sly

bumper

Does anyone know who owns the truck with the 2nd bumper in it? (the one with the warn winch and trimmed fenders?) and if not where they got it if it isnt custom? that bumper kicks hiney and I want one.

Pat

If you have access to AutoCAD I can email you a few bumpers that I have drawn up. They aren't to scale, because I am too lazy to go out and measure my Pathy.

Ok, bring it on, Hell i'll scale it for you :beer:

Does anyone know who owns the truck with the 2nd bumper in it? (the one with the warn winch and trimmed fenders?) and if not where they got it if it isnt custom? that bumper kicks hiney and I want one.

Pat

I don't know his name, but he has a post on the AC board a few years back when he built it. I think he also built a custom rear one too.

i want one like mookies but the whole daily driver thing - cops would be all over it

next would be arb steel winch bar

then a custon tube bar like the second photo, without the poxy lookn skid plate

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a fan of the ARB's since day one. But thier price is a bit spendy. The next big project is to design, assemble/ build one, similar style. Any ideas would be great, as they always help. The jig is almost ready, materials are availible, welder is ready to go.

M.M.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also a fan of the ARB style and would like to fabricate a rear and front bumper and maybe snaz it up with a bit of diamond plate...i'm a sucker for that stuff ;)

I've already gone through 2 of the stock front "tin-foil" bumpers from a couple deer fiascos and have a feeling that my brushguard is gonna suffer the same fate on the next one...so it'd be nice to have some heavy duty deer splattering protection without the heavy duty price.

• 1 year later...

who stole my pathy and put that bumper on? it's bad assssssssss :bow: :bow: unfortunately when i woke up the bumper was gone...... musta been someone elses pathy then :sniff:

i like square tubing.. just because our trucks are kind of square and i like the look of it.. BUT... depending on design this may not be a wise option as square tubing is harder to work with/bend......