What kind of bumper would you go with?

TrailChaser

If you could build a steel/iron bumper which materials would you use?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. If you could build a steel/iron bumper which materials would you use?

• 4"x6" square tubing
    • Square tubing with one 2 3/8" pipe underneath
    • Two 2 7/8" pipes stacked
    • 4"x8" square tubing
    • ARB/TJM sheetmetal style

look at my sig for the one i made. i'm planning on making a rear bumper of siniliar lines with an inegrated hitch out of 6" c-channel. i have it all drawn up, but its on the computer at school.

Belive me, you don't want 6" C, at least not like the one I started to build. Got it cut to length and ditched that idea. Of course I was using 1/4" thick C, nearly 1/2" in the corners :blink: .

haha ok, throwing that out the window..... heres the new design. probably gonna turn it into an air tank as well, put alittle less strain on the compressor.

rearbumpersolid.jpg

2"x4"x.25", incorporated hitch for light use, air tank, yada yada yada...

Edited by Spolar93

Being a form follows function engineering type, my answer is simple:

Whichever will be LIGHTEST and still meet your protection needs!

When I finally get around to building mine, it will likely be the plate metal style, with varying thicknesses of metal to minimize weight as much as possible. Hanging weight out beyond the axles is one of the worst places to do so. So rather than make it totally indestructible, I will make it not breakable, but not invincible.

And when the "once in every 10 years" REALLY BIG WHACK happens and bends the thinner steel, I'll just fix it. I'd rather fix it every few years than lug all that weight around all the time. Weight = loss of handling AND fuel economy. I avoid what I can.

I'm also considering a "framework" of sub-2" (like 1.25 or 1.5") square tube with 1/8" walls (well, more likely 3/16" wall on the bottom jacking edge) square tube covered with 14 or 16 ga skin "tacked" on. And a couple beefed up hard points for attaching shackles and a winch. The hell for stout frame will provide protection at minimal weight. The skin will make it look smooth and clean and can be easily replaced when it gets so dinged/whacked up I can't stand how it looks.