lifters bleeding down

inwood73

well i got my truck home, and it seems i have lifter issues, after sitting overnight, or even for a few hours my lifters click and tap for about 10 mins till they fill up with oil again, i have tried flushing them with engine flush, used some additive to free them up with no success, i was told to change the oil and substitute a litre of ATF fluid and run it for 5000klm then change the oil and if it's still there they will have to be replaced, i am leaning toward just replacing them. they are a bit pricey though, 32.00 canadian for just one, and i will need 12. anyone have any idea's i could try out before spending a lot of cash on em, and anyone know were to get them cheaper in canada? thanks for any input. it's a 95 pathfinder. i will get photo's up of the beast as soon as i can.

regards...Mike.

I donno about throwing ATF in the engine...but you can try it and let us know how it goes...I had a buddy that had a rodeo that had tapping lifters...he'd throw in like a half a can of seafoam at every other oil change and it wouldn't ever tick...the other half of the can he threw in the gastank...

my lifters click and tap for about 10 mins
Sure its not an exhaust manifold? If they have issuses, they'll tick when the engine is cold and seal up once the heat expands everything. Take a bit of the ATF or Seafoam or whatever will make it smoke and pour it in the intake when the engine is cold then look closely and see if any smoke is escaping around the manifolds.

Dunno how the lifters could drain looking at how they're designed since they fill from the top, but I guess its possible.

Good luck and keep us posted.

well i got my truck home, and it seems i have lifter issues, after sitting overnight, or even for a few hours my lifters click and tap for about 10 mins till they fill up with oil again, i have tried flushing them with engine flush, used some additive to free them up with no success, i was told to change the oil and substitute a litre of ATF fluid and run it for 5000klm then change the oil and if it's still there they will have to be replaced, i am leaning toward just replacing them. they are a bit pricey though, 32.00 canadian for just one, and i will need 12. anyone have any idea's i could try out before spending a lot of cash on em, and anyone know were to get them cheaper in canada? thanks for any input. it's a 95 pathfinder. i will get photo's up of the beast as soon as i can.

regards...Mike.

Transmission fluid used to be used because of the detergents in it would "clean" the engine. At least that's the way the theory went.

I've never tried it, and never seen it "officially" written down anywhere.. I'd use a commercial engine flush, not the AFT, you never know what interaction with metal (bearings etc) there might be.

I would also recommend checking you manfolds first. They are often mistaken for internal engine noises and always seem to go away after 10 minutes or so (metal expands and exhaust leak stops)

i am certain it's not the manifolds, i will post a video up of the ticking, it's random, from one head to the other. i can't get seafoam in canada, but i can try rislone, so far i have tried flushing, and a can of wynns engine tune up stuff. i found a store where i can get all 12 lifters delivered for 209.00, i was just looking over the engine and what a pita this is going to be, taking the damn intake manifold off to get to the driver side valve cover, anyone live in the area that wants to donate some of there time? i bought the quaker state GL-4 oil, got 4 quarts in, just have to tilt and get the other quart in, that cost me too, 90 bucks for 5 quarts, good thing it only needs to be done once in a blue moon. i'm so frustrated right now!! i'll get some pics up today as well as a video. thanks for any help and suggetions guys/gals.

Just in case, have you checked your drive belts? There were a couple threads on here, including one from me, with videos showing the ticking, I thought for sure my lifters were shot, but then on the way to college the next day the a/c belt shredded it self to pieces and the noise stopped. 2 days later I changed all 3. It's so quiet now.

here is my thread with the video.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17651&hl=

It subsequently got worse (like you could hear it IN the truck with the windows closed :ohno01: ) and then the belt failed.

Edited by redfinder

yeah the blets are all new, nissan ones at that lol, by brother in law has the money to spend at the stealer ship, anyhow here is a update, i changed my oil, for the THIRD time this week, to get rid of additives ect... well i bought this stuff called restore and some lucas oil stabalizer, changed it and started it up, clicked and clacked for a few seconds now it's quiet as a church mouse. knock on wood that it stays that way, i will keep you all informed, i also added that lucas gas treatment, that stuff is the cats ass i tell you. lucas makes some really good stuff. so i will drive it for a week and if it stays like it is now i will always be adding a can of restore and the 20% per change of lucas stabalizer. man i hope it stays the way it is now, save me alot of money and headache. i will get some pics of my beast up later today and you can all give me your opinion on what you think of it. if the ticking is gone, she's as good as new!!

anyhone know were i can locate some new bumpers and a push bar for a 95 pathfinder, i really would like to get some dress up stuff, make it look mean lol.

Thanks again for all your suggestions, it's appreciated.

mike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My 95 has the intermittant lifter tap as well. The last time I changed oil I added 1litre of Lucas Oil stabiliser. It is stringy like honey thinking this might help with the leakdown ... it didnt.

It only happens when it's cold then gradually goes away. I'm not going to deal with it now.

I had this same problem on an older VW.

I have an older Datsun and there are a couple of favorite sites that have good pricing online ; rockauto.com, mrautoparts.com

Good luck

My 95 has the intermittant lifter tap as well. The last time I changed oil I added 1litre of Lucas Oil stabiliser. It is stringy like honey thinking this might help with the leakdown ... it didnt.

It only happens when it's cold then gradually goes away. I'm not going to deal with it now.

I had this same problem on an older VW.

I have an older Datsun and there are a couple of favorite sites that have good pricing online ; rockauto.com, mrautoparts.com

Good luck

Or if you are running thicker than recommended oil now, try thinner.

On my 240SX, it would do exactly what you described when I used the highest recommended weight thinking it would be good for it during our 110 degree summers.

Went back to lightest recommended and it went away.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the exact same problem due to a collapsed lifter. I simply replaced them (all) and now it'll only clack like that for about 2-10 seconds after sitting overnight. From what I understand that is pretty normal for hydraulic lifters. I tried all of the oil additives, thicker and thinner oil first, but it sounds like a collapsed lifter and the only way I found to fix that was to replace it. And once you're in that deep, might as well do 'em all.