Brake Question

ronin152

Hey guys, ever since I got my pathfinder (03 4x4 LE) with 48,000 miles on it the brakes have seemed a little mussy and it feels like they don't kick in till about 1/4 pedal travel and even at that it takes till about 1/2 pedal effort to get them to really stop. My mechanic checked them out and said they were just recently replaced with everything brand new. It also seems like when I use them for a long time like on a hill or after a while they seem to fade alot and pedal travel increases. I have 67,000 miles on my truck now and was wondering what I could posisbly do to fix this? Is this just something pathy have (poor brakes) due to the rear drums? I was thinking of doing a brake fluid change, bleed, SS brake lines, and maybe new pads? How does this sound? Thanks.

Check your fluid level and look for leaks. Are you hauling heavy stuff/going fast? I haven't heard of any fading problems with these brakes, and you really have to heat them up before you notice fade. Don't ride the brakes down hills either. It will prematurely wear them out.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

Hey guys, ever since I got my pathfinder (03 4x4 LE) with 48,000 miles on it the brakes have seemed a little mussy and it feels like they don't kick in till about 1/4 pedal travel and even at that it takes till about 1/2 pedal effort to get them to really stop. My mechanic checked them out and said they were just recently replaced with everything brand new. It also seems like when I use them for a long time like on a hill or after a while they seem to fade alot and pedal travel increases. I have 67,000 miles on my truck now and was wondering what I could posisbly do to fix this? Is this just something pathy have (poor brakes) due to the rear drums? I was thinking of doing a brake fluid change, bleed, SS brake lines, and maybe new pads? How does this sound? Thanks.

Start with a complete fluid flush. If there's air in the system, or a lot of moisture it will affect them a lot.

Also make sure your rear brakes are adjusted properly

If that all checks out and you still have a problem, then you may have a problem with the master cylinder.

Start with a complete fluid flush. If there's air in the system, or a lot of moisture it will affect them a lot.

Also make sure your rear brakes are adjusted properly

If that all checks out and you still have a problem, then you may have a problem with the master cylinder.

SECONDED