03 Pathfinders have no transmission filter?

Hi everyone,

My 03 LE is creeping up on 50K miles and its due for its second transmission oil change and I called around some local dealers to find out pricing for the service and they all keep telling me that the 03's don't have a trans filter...is that right? BTW - is $150 for a trans oil change reasonable?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

My 03 LE is creeping up on 50K miles and its due for its second transmission oil change and I called around some local dealers to find out pricing for the service and they all keep telling me that the 03's don't have a trans filter...is that right? BTW - is $150 for a trans oil change reasonable?

Thanks.

That's right, there's no filter. For $150, are they doing a drain and fill, or a full flush? $150 is $110 too much for a drain and fill, but probably reasonable for a flush.

That's right, there's no filter. For $150, are they doing a drain and fill, or a full flush? $150 is $110 too much for a drain and fill, but probably reasonable for a flush.

The dealership charged me $80 canadian bones for a drain and fill. So do all the 96-04 pathfinders not have a transmission filter?? cause i was gonna do the service myself next time around and was gonna drop the pan. I found a kit online that gives you a new gasket, filter and o-ring and was gonna give it a try, but i might just stick to drain and fills if there is no filter.

From what I hear, it's simply a screen. No need to replace it. I believe it's the same transmission from 87-2000 as the part number is the same in both the WD21 and the R50 (till 2000). I'm not sure on the newer VQ equipped Pathfinders though.

From what the service person was telling me the $150 is for the flush but unless I stand over the technitians shoulder and look on what he is doing ...can I really tell if they do a drain and fill vs. a full flush????? If there is please let me know. I'm just a bit wery of dealers all together so I want to make sure they do what they say they will do.

Thanks everyone.

There are 8 different Auto Transmissions used on the R50 in its production run.

14 different manual transmissions.

R50 with manufacturing dates of 10/95 to 07/01 have a strainer and 2 small filters. However, these are parts that Nissan does not recommend for service if you are using the correct transmission fluid with the correct recommended detergents, etc.

Now as to debate on if it can be or should be serviced anyways, esp if you have very high mileage....well thats a different animal.

This should explain why your Nissan Dealer gave you the information they did.

Edited by Alkorahil

From what the service person was telling me the $150 is for the flush but unless I stand over the technitians shoulder and look on what he is doing ...can I really tell if they do a drain and fill vs. a full flush????? If there is please let me know. I'm just a bit wery of dealers all together so I want to make sure they do what they say they will do.

Thanks everyone.

If they don't drop the pan (and they likely won't), then the easiest way to tell if they do a drain and fill vs a flush is to see if they disconnect one or both of the transmission cooler lines at the radiator. Even if they drop the pan but don't disconnect the cooler lines, the torque converter will still contain several quarts of old fluid, so a flush is still recommended. (A flush requires disconnecting the cooler lines). A drain and fill (in which the cooler lines are not removed) is usually about 4 quarts, while a flush purges the entire transmission of old fluid, including the torque converter, and should use somewhere between 9 and 11 quarts (but it could be a little bit more).

Edited by XPLORx4

What's the differences in the transmissions? THey're all RE4R01A are they not? I am not doubting you, just don't quite understand what the differences would be, and if so, why they'd have the same part number.

If they don't drop the pan (and they likely won't), then the easiest way to tell if they do a drain and fill vs a flush is to see if they disconnect one or both of the transmission cooler lines at the radiator. Even if they drop the pan but don't disconnect the cooler lines, the torque converter will still contain several quarts of old fluid, so a flush is still recommended. (A flush requires disconnecting the cooler lines). A drain and fill (in which the cooler lines are not removed) is usually about 4 quarts, while a flush purges the entire transmission of old fluid, including the torque converter, and should use somewhere between 9 and 11 quarts (but it could be a little bit more).

I think it is 14 quarts for a good flush, I read that around here somewhere. I made sure they guys who flushed mine did that.

So even the wd21 is just a screen?

What's the differences in the transmissions? THey're all RE4R01A are they not? I am not doubting you, just don't quite understand what the differences would be, and if so, why they'd have the same part number.

Yes, they are all model RE4R01A.

But like an engine, there are differences, changes and refinements as the years progress.

For a nice analogy: an ‘91 WD-21 and a ‘95 WD-21 are both model WD-21. They even look similar on the outside. Get inside and they are very different. Same with the transmissions. There are differences in the inside.

Take a look at this screenshot. It shows the part numbers for a R50 transmission and T-case assembly. It shows the 8 part numbers, the application dates by production and so forth.

trans1.jpg

Now, look at choice 3 and 4 and choice 5 and 6. These are completely identical assemblies but have different part numbers. How do I know this?

#3 is 31000-4EX75. #4 is almost entirely the same. Just one number higher.

This means that there is some part in them that changed manufacturer/supplier for some reason. (reason is quality or price typically) Whenever a part changes, in any way, it gets a new part number from Nissan. So, if some genius engineer decided a screw should be painted blue for model year X, the new blue painted screw gets a new part number and thus the assembly it goes on would change.

SO...

If I was to try to pick choice 3, I can tell you it will supercede to the next choice.

Now, look at choice 1 and choice 7. Two years difference in when they were used. If you look at the part numbers they are much more different. That means inside there are some changes.

Now, could you just pick any of these choices and throw them in your R50 and never notice the difference? Probably.

Would I recommend it?

No, as you never know what other changes they made to the ECU and especially the AT Control Module as well

I hope this helps some.