new wont LOCK, anda few other problems

edicer2

Hey guy just got back from helping a freind buy another pathfinder for my freinds winter car. It is a 1990 dark red v6 SE 5speed manual with 115k and very little rust. Anyways there are a few problem with it that make it only 750 bucks.

Problem 1: the gas gauge and the heat gauge only work sometimes according to the previous owner he said it was because there was a bad ground them them? Easy fix?

Problem 2: when you are driving and put it in 2nd or 3rd gear it will go in fine and easy but when you give it any gas the whole shifter jumped forward like a inch. I thought it was because it was going to pop out of hear at first but it seems to stay in pretty well. In 3rd gear when it does it it still moves forward farther instead of moving down toward the nuetral spot. Also as soon as you let off the gay it goes back to where it was.

Problem 3: The doors will not lock. as soon as you push lock on the door and then close it it will unlock it self? Mine does it everyonce ina w hile but thats is because a handle has a short and is kinda broke on the passenger side. Do you guys think it is the same problem?

Thanks for your help!

I don't know about number 2 but I believe your first issue is due to the voltage regulator on the back of the cluster. And about the locks, might be the actuator, I've read that on hear before.

The locks could be any number of things. A jammed lock, a lock sensing a door partially open, the locks sensing the key in the ignition, or the door lock timer. (you are trying to lock the doors with the key out of the ignition, right?)

For #2, it sounds like possibly your synchros, or the gears themselves aren't holding like they used to and have some play. As long as it doesn't pop out on it's own, you should be alright.

1: bad ground is a common electrical problem and alot of ppl usualy assume that first. the fix is as easy as finding the poor connection in the circut(sometimes can be hard to find) or it could be bad sensors (the fuel one could be a bitch)

2: All my gears jump a little under load It could be just the way our tranny's work... anyone else?

3: are you holing the door handle up when you close the door? This was a feature designed to keep you from loking your keys in. Lock the door, hold the door handle up as you close it and don't let go untill the door is shut.

hope this helps.

Ok thanks guys i check out some of the tips you just gave me my freind is on his way over! ill let you know a little bit more when we are done!

Edit: ok So i got to look a little more at the locks. We got it to finally lock it looks to be the drivers side lock(where you put the key in) is broke. It will lock the door then you have to play locksmith and figit around with the key to open it. I think thats the problem . I didnt get a chance to look at the gauges he had to go back to work.

As far as the syncros go are they something that can be fixed for fairly cheap or not really? i dont think its a tranny mount because it only does it in 2nd and 3rd gear. Im pretty sure something is wrong because they move Alot like atleast a inch or a little more

Edited by edicer2

The Trans sounds like the wd21's manual boxes infamous lack of lubrication, basically you need a replacement box from what i can gather, if you carry on driving it around it will eventually drop the bearings through the bottom and grenade, could take more with it if this happens. Park it up, get it done

Read: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2621

Cheers dude.

drove it around a little more and it does pop out of third. Does that mean it needs syncros?

no, it needs bearings. the movement is caused by too much play in the bearings. you need a complete rebuild of the transmission.

#2 issue I would put my money on a bad tranny mount from experience with my Hardbody. I had the same issue only a little more movement than you explained,but mine was completly ripped into 2 pieces. It had enough play to the point if you were in 1st,3rd,or5th and gave the gas a quick snap it would pop the shifter out of gear. I think the shifter was hitting something(floor possibly) and knocking it out. Replaced the mount and didn't have a problem anymore.

ok ill check into those things and see how it looks. thanks for the help! ill keep ya posted! O yeah and i guess the previous owner said he replaced a bearing in the tranny already. idk what one was fixed i wasnt there when my friend bought it and i guess the last owner said he put a bearing in it already though.

Edited by edicer2

Edit: ok So i got to look a little more at the locks. We got it to finally lock it looks to be the drivers side lock(where you put the key in) is broke. It will lock the door then you have to play locksmith and figit around with the key to open it. I think thats the problem . I didnt get a chance to look at the gauges he had to go back to work.

my pathy has been broken into a few times and with each lock Cylinder replaced I came to learn that the little actuator rods are bent easily(I imagine if your turned the key to hare you could bend one) and this makes the lock act funny. It took several tries of straigtening and correcting agles for me to get my passenger door to unlock normaly.

my pathy has been broken into a few times and with each lock Cylinder replaced I came to learn that the little actuator rods are bent easily(I imagine if your turned the key to hare you could bend one) and this makes the lock act funny. It took several tries of straigtening and correcting agles for me to get my passenger door to unlock normaly.

ok thanks ill take the panel off and check it out