Burning smell after body lift...

statikuz

Hey, I've been driving my Pathy around for a day or so and noticed a burning smell afterwards, you can smell it right outside the truck and it smells almost like maple syrup... any ideas? Nothing's dripping anywhere that I can see...?

Alrighty, I'll check that... not sure if it matters but I had been driving for a grand total of maybe 10 minutes or so and the temp. gauge was already almost halfway... that doesn't seem right for such a short time but I dunno...

Yeah, it's pretty hot here too, it was cold while it sat at work and over the drive home [like five minutes] it went right to halfway or so. Came home and popped the hood to find the coolant reservoir all the way down to MIN so maybe that was the deal. I did flush and refill my radiator during the body lift so maybe I didn't get it all the way full or something. Oh well, we'll see how it goes. Could that be why my AC wasn't working worth crap as well?

Filling the radiator on a pathy actually takes some know how. I've changed my water pump twice and the radiator once. Each time, i had to leave the filler cap off the radiator let it run till it warms up and the thermostat opens then watch your level go down rapidly. Fill at this time until you can't get any more in. Its quiete common to get air in the top of the engine when drained and this is where your coolent disappears to.

Alrighty, I figured I had done it alright since I opened the little air relief thing and basically filled it up till coolant started dripping out of there. =) Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I didn't drain all the coolant out of the engine, just the radiator since I had to change the radiator hoses, although it escaped me why all the engine coolant didn't drain out of the bottom radiator hose fitting...?

Anyway, I figured out the AC problem. I was fishing around yesterday for a 15A fuse to replace my fog light one, and couldn't find any. So I looked in the fusebox and decided that the cigarette lighter wasn't an essential function, so I'd use that one for a while. Too bad it controls the AC too. And the vents that allow you to go floor > vent > both > defrost, etc. Just found that out. ;)

Filling the radiator on a pathy actually takes some know how. I've changed my water pump twice and the radiator once. Each time, i had to leave the filler cap off the radiator let it run till it warms up and the thermostat opens then watch your level go down rapidly. Fill at this time until you can't get any more in. Its quiete common to get air in the top of the engine when drained and this is where your coolent disappears to.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm really cuz i got a raging thermostat problem... This is my third one the first was fine the other 2 are brand new? P...

Yeah, I didn't drain all the coolant out of the engine, just the radiator

Me either but you drained the rad. the bottom hose is connected to the engin is it not? and there is no thermostat to hold any coolant back.

Mudfinder - I'd try this, it took me a week to find out WTF was going on, the first time i changed the thermostat.. it over heated and when i would pull the cap of the radiator it looked full. Then i pulled the cap off started it and after a few it went down. I filled it up and no more problems. I even verified this when my water pump went. Same problem

Yeah, but to me, the amount of coolant that came out of the bottom hose wasn't nearly enough to assume it was all draining out of the engine. Oh well, it's all back up to full now, I'm pretty sure, and the guys checked it when I had my oil changed too so all is well.

I've always done that bit when refilling the radiator. Fill it and let the engine run for a few till the tstat opens, then top it off. Maybe even check it again after driving some, just in case air was hiding and decided to make it back to the radiator.

it's generally known as "burping" the cooling system - you operate the engine with the radiator cap off as the engine and fluids heat up. Having the system open allows the coolant to circulate through the whole engine when the thermostat opens up. If you have the cap on the radiator, the system is closed and no place for air to escape.

It's called burping cause if there is a bunch of air in there, it will make a "burp" noise when the air bubble finally pops out of the open radiator. If you don't let it warm up enough to open the thermostat, then no burp...

- you operate the engine with the radiator cap off as the engine and fluids heat up. Having the system open allows the coolant to circulate through the whole engine when the thermostat opens up. If you have the cap on the radiator, the system is closed and no place for air to escape.

important point here... many people think it's a no-brainer but I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for someone cooking themselves.

leave the cap off while you run the engine to temp. If you have it on and then try to open it hot, you could get seriously injured.

My wife's uncle apparently had no brain and has the scarring to prove it.

Good point!! If it's already up to temp - THE SYSTEM IS FULLY PRESSURIZED!!! The coolant will turn to steam, as well as splash all over you and burn the heck out of you!!!

Do not open the radiator cap AFTER the engine has been running...

bad bad bad bad bad bad

also jack up the front end a little so the tires are about an inch off the ground.. that it with the stock 31x10.5 that helps it get into the system a little faster.. leave it running and fix the cc so it is at about 1500 to 1800 for about 10 mins.. thats how we used to do it at the dealership...