For those that have LSD

Does the stock LSD w/ stock disk brake have a thrust block installed? If not, what goes inbetween the center of the axles? pd-80 of the FSM shows a LSD with a thrust block. but, on pd-74 it shows a pic of a 4 pinion diff. with an asteric (*) on the TB and notes that the TB is only for drum brakes. I thought a majority of LSD had disk brake therefor no TB. I'm still trying to diagnose a driveability problem since I installed the LSD.

is there a way for me to check my trucks for you? i have both auto (disk) and 5 speed (drum rear)with lsd.....

Edited by Slick

is there a way for me to check my trucks for you? i have both auto (disk) and 5 speed (drum rear)with lsd.....

Thanks Slick, I don't think so with out a major disassembly. I don't know if I have to switch over the thrust block from my drum set up to the now LSD set up. I got two different part numbers from Nissan on the TB's one for the LSD and one for the open w/ drum.

Open diff. with disk doesn't have a thrust block. Open diff. w/ drum does.

LSD has a throttle block but, different part number than a open diff. throttle block.

I don't know if I have to put the drum brake Throttle block in the LSD.

I'm hoping to solve a major issue, I have it posted in the garage section.

Edited by Ultrafinder

That's a really good question, I've never had a LSD next to an open diff to compare those with.

there are basically 4 different differentials used by Nissan on WD21 and three different thrust blocks. (by part#)

If you let me know your VIN I can tell you which one you have.

What is it, H233B 2-pinion, H233B 4-pinion, C200 and....hm. Oh, JUST the diff in the centersection? Ahhhh.

Yeah, I hear that he was starting to scare me for a minute, thinking now I have to buy another Thrust block.

I got my diif. off again and I'm pretty sure I found my problem. There was no Thrust block in there. So the axles had nothing to back up to. I just used the TB out of my open and put it in the LSD.

So I am doing the opposite that Ultrafinder is:

That is I'm taking a open diff out of a drum brake truck, installing a lock right, then putting that unit in a LSD, disc brake truck. Question: do I put a thrust block in or no thrust block.

The reason I'd like to find out is that I'm having lots of problems with a lock right install and am thinking the thrust block might be the culprit. I kept the block in on my first lock right install and busted all the pins in the lock right. Now I've gotten thicker thrust washers to put in, but on a bench test it still doesn't seem to click the way it should.

So again, my question is: When putting an open diff from a drum truck into a disc LSD truck do you use a thrust block or not.

Thanks,

Doug Davis

The thrust block needs to come out with disk brakes whether its a lockrite or not. You could grind the end of the axle down to get it to work but, you would be better off taking the 3rd apart again to inspect.

So I am doing the opposite that Ultrafinder is:

That is I'm taking a open diff out of a drum brake truck, installing a lock right, then putting that unit in a LSD, disc brake truck. Question: do I put a thrust block in or no thrust block.

The reason I'd like to find out is that I'm having lots of problems with a lock right install and am thinking the thrust block might be the culprit. I kept the block in on my first lock right install and busted all the pins in the lock right. Now I've gotten thicker thrust washers to put in, but on a bench test it still doesn't seem to click the way it should.

So again, my question is: When putting an open diff from a drum truck into a disc LSD truck do you use a thrust block or not.

Thanks,

Doug Davis

Edited by Ultrafinder