Winch mounting?

silver97ex

Hey guys, I have this winch laying around that I figure I might as well mount somehow. Its not doing any good in the box right? It is fairly small (4000lb) but I figure it can't make a situation any worse, right? I am wondering how you guys mounted your winches w/out buying some crazy expensive ARB bumper or something. BTW I have a 95 SE.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks

If I mounted my 5000lb winch, I for sure wouldn't mount it on the stock bumper. The easiest way that would still be very strong would be to modify a hidden hitch (or similar) to use on the front, where the tow hooks mount. Then you can fabricate a bracket that the winch sits on and fits on top of an insert. This way, when your not offroading and don't need the winch, you can safely stash it away from thieves, vandals, and weather. You could use it in the back as well if you have a receiver back there. Know what I mean?

Heres a crude (very very crude) sketch of what I was thinking. Obviously this wouldn't be the exact design, you'd have to play around with dimensions a bit to accommodate everything.

winch.jpg

Edited by eglaisi_91pathy

here in canada, a place called princess auto sells all kinds of premade 2" receiver mounts. i think they might have a plate that would allow a winch mount.

Using a 4000lb could be a bit risky, even with a snatch block rig. If you're really set on using it, make sure you get an experienced 'wincher' to show you.

something else, a safe thing to do, is drape a floormat over the cable with the tension on it, so if it gets away on you, there will be less chance of the cable 'snapping up' and damaging you or something. and PLEASE stand clear when the winch is under load!

best of luck to you.

al

Yeah, the basic rule is you want a winch that is rated about twice the GVW of what you mount it on. One that size would be OK as a rear guide winch, but for main recovery I wouldn't use that.