VQ cruise control?

csutke

So in my 04 pathy I was just wondering if what I dealing with is normal for the cruise control. When Im driving and want to turn the CC on I hit the on/off button but then have to hold and sometimes press multiple times the set button. Is this normal? Also some times on long hills and high RPMs the CC will cut out and stop working, Im talking like holding 3k+ for an extended time.

On my 02, all I have to do is hit the set button, no need to hold it. But I can not turn on the CC, then right away set it, I have to wait about a second or 2.

And it has never cut out on its own, even on steep hills where it will sometimes be pulling 4,000 rpm although personally I prefer to take it out of CC when it is that steep. That way I have a better feel for how the motor is responding.

On my 02, all I have to do is hit the set button, no need to hold it. But I can not turn on the CC, then right away set it, I have to wait about a second or 2.

And it has never cut out on its own, even on steep hills where it will sometimes be pulling 4,000 rpm although personally I prefer to take it out of CC when it is that steep. That way I have a better feel for how the motor is responding.

x2 :aok:

Note that this only when I first turn the system on. There is no delay for any changes after.

Ditto also here on my 02.

My cruise does hold gears in CC too long when climbinghills (mountains) also. If it has to dip down and run at 3K rpm it will hold that until the load is completely gone, not just until momentum is good and it can relax back to 4th. I have found when the CC seems to get "stuck" running the truck/trans at high RPM to click the OD button a couple of times and it usually picks up the problem and goes back up a gear and drops the RPM's.....but it rarely selects to relax on its own.

Funny enough I have also noticed that our trucks, when climbing these grades, get way better MPG's at the crazy 3,??? RPMs then it working hard to climb at say 2200 RPMs (9+ MPG's vs 7 MPG's)...this VIA my SCANGAUGE...it is confusing to me however I will have to watch it again and see exactly where MPG's start to go up when in the higher RPM powerband.

Funny enough I have also noticed that our trucks, when climbing these grades, get way better MPG's at the crazy 3,??? RPMs then it working hard to climb at say 2200 RPMs (9+ MPG's vs 7 MPG's)...this VIA my SCANGAUGE...it is confusing to me however I will have to watch it again and see exactly where MPG's start to go up when in the higher RPM powerband.

The engine is likely more efficient at 3-4K RPM than at lower RPM, which would explain the MPG difference.

yes like xplorx4 said, its all about where the engine is most efficient in the powerband, there is no direct correlation between RPM's and MPG

I know a guy who likes to keep RPMs low (1k-2k)and just hold the gas down all the way to move, he doesnt realize that he is killing his own MPG and too stupid to listen to me... also refuses to use A/C and keeps windows down, whereas most cars (including our R50's) get better mileage with AC on and windows up.

Edited by FUELER