Woot Home Surveillance system :)

RowdoggNZ

Sweet, we've had a warning about burglaries in our area so i got bored and set up a cctv camera :) Motion sensor takes photos when it senses movement in the pictures, so hopefully i've got some pics for the local police precinct to look at :)

heres a pic of someone who i think was my dad walking past the camera.:)

0525181414ch3.jpg

Sweet, we've had a warning about burglaries in our area so i got bored and set up a cctv camera :) Motion sensor takes photos when it senses movement in the pictures, so hopefully i've got some pics for the local police precinct to look at :)

heres a pic of someone who i think was my dad walking past the camera.:)

0525181414ch3.jpg

Cool...

I have always wanted to set up a cctv system :D I always see them at costco and am tempted to put one in my cart

Unfortunately (or fortunately ) we don't have much use for one

Let us know if you catch any one with it...

Nice, I've been looking into those ever since the incident with getting my car keyed.

There are tons of options out there. I'm leaning towards a wireless setup. What kind is your set up? How is the clarity at night?

heres a pic of someone who i think was my dad walking past the camera.

Is it just me, but I don't see a picture or link. I have cranked up security settings on the puter, so I'm just curious...

Yeah, unfortunately, it's a good idea these days. When I own a home, I'll rig it up with cameras. Far better to look on screen then wander into the middle of drek, not to mention the digital records.

Last year, some joker followed the GF home from the store 2 blocks away and blocked the GF's car in the driveway when she parked. Luckily, I was in the garage when she ran in, but there was little that I could do. The truck was tinted so I couldn't see in, and I didn't feel like walking up, banging on the door and getting shot... After I made my presence known, they left, slowly. There is a piece stashed in the garage now...

I have no worries for myself, but the GF is no more aware/self defenseable than most. I don't worry about her most of the time, but the home needs to be safe!!

B

Is it just me, but I don't see a picture or link. I have cranked up security settings on the puter, so I'm just curious...

Yeah, unfortunately, it's a good idea these days. When I own a home, I'll rig it up with cameras. Far better to look on screen then wander into the middle of drek, not to mention the digital records.

Funny, As I was reading this^^^^ I was thinking about thisVVVVV

Last year, some joker followed the GF home from the store 2 blocks away and blocked the GF's car in the driveway when she parked. Luckily, I was in the garage when she ran in, but there was little that I could do. The truck was tinted so I couldn't see in, and I didn't feel like walking up, banging on the door and getting shot... After I made my presence known, they left, slowly. There is a piece stashed in the garage now...

I have no worries for myself, but the GF is no more aware/self defenseable than most. I don't worry about her most of the time, but the home needs to be safe!!

B

:beer:

Ok Tex, do you have a GF you are watching out for, remember me mentioning the incident, or were you the farking joker in the truck??

Seriously though, a camera may have caught the license plate # or given me the time to get the shotgun.

Fark with me, be prepared for some action. Fark with my lady, prepare to be worm food. It's a whole new level... No bravado, just reality. :shrug:

B

or were you the farking joker in the truck??

B

Yes that's it, I found out where you lived, flew over there. I just wanted to drop off some cookies, but you seamed a little pissed :D

remember me mentioning the incident
:aok:

IIRC it was in POHO after Thomas talking about his stuff being nicked out of his Pathy.

sounds kinda creepy there b, i woulda stashed a piece too.

There definately is a picture there lol, its an imageshack link/thumbnail.

The clarity at night isn't too bad because we have a security light (Motion triggered light). The sensitivity is a bit of a juggle need to get it sorted. The camera took over 3000 pictures since my post yesterday, picking up like trees waving in the wind, neighbours turning lights on and off, shadows moving, flapping plastic bag in a trailer, and of course the things i want it to pic up like people driving up and down the driveway and people walking past/snooping round.

Cool, sounds like it is doing the job, but maybe a lower sensitivity??

sounds kinda creepy there b, i woulda stashed a piece too.

Yeah, thats not the way I like to be, but hey, I'm just trying to live in this world. Sometimes jokers like that define whats required....

There definately is a picture there lol, its an imageshack link/thumbnail.

Ok, thanks. Tomorrow I'll play with the settings until I can see something... :D

B

I've actually been looking at doing something like this, but taking it to the next level - I have a system with a bunch of larger, plug in cameras and a small, single camera that can run a camera for a month on a single 9 volt battery... hook that bad boy up, attach the camera to my rear-view mirror (it's a small camera) and laugh if someone tries to carjack my ride as I'll have his face perfectly :D It also has a microphone... if only it had a speaker so I could fskc with his mind while he tries to jumpstart my truck XD

Nice, I've been looking into those ever since the incident with getting my car keyed.

There are tons of options out there. I'm leaning towards a wireless setup. What kind is your set up? How is the clarity at night?

Clarity is very poor, very grainy and fuzzy picture. Got any idea why? Its really frustrating because it detects it as motion and takes photos like every 4seconds

Clarity is very poor, very grainy and fuzzy picture. Got any idea why? Its really frustrating because it detects it as motion and takes photos like every 4seconds

Looking at that first pic you have it set so it catches a profile shot as they go past. You might try moving it to a more head on shot location.

Yeah but that would not eliminate the problem of the camera going grainy in the darkness and the fuzzing of the grains taking a picture every 5 seconds coz the fuzzing is moving.

Could you place it somewhere where it would be set back a little bit? Maybe there's a vantage point from where the camera can spot someone approaching from a distance rather than passing by.

If the camera has a bit more time to sense the motion you may have better luck capturing people's faces/vehicles more clearly.

Also, what kind of exterior lighting do you have in the area where the camera is located? Some additional flood lights on motion sensors could really help with the picture quality after dark and you'll be adding one extra layer of deterrence to your security setup. After all, the bad guys don't like to operate where they can be spotted.

BTW, are you allowed to own any sorts of firearms where you live? Never hurts to have a fall back plan in case some gremlins get inside....

This site has some interesting security products you might like.

Hope everything works out for you. Stay safe.

Edited by Oliver

Firearms in NZ

IIRC

You need a firearms licence. To get this you need: to pass a written test, property inspection ensuring safe firearm storage, 3 References from non family members, and a $180 Licencing fee.

You are subject to spot inspections ensuring safe storage of your firearm at home

You are not allowed to use them for self protection only hunting, business? i guess.

You have to be 17 to get the licence i think.

Basically, its just easier having a 1mtr long cast iron pipe sitting in your cupboard :)

Firearms in NZ

IIRC

You need a firearms licence. To get this you need: to pass a written test, property inspection ensuring safe firearm storage, 3 References from non family members, and a $180 Licencing fee.

You are subject to spot inspections ensuring safe storage of your firearm at home

You are not allowed to use them for self protection only hunting, business? i guess.

You have to be 17 to get the licence i think.

Basically, its just easier having a 1mtr long cast iron pipe sitting in your cupboard :)

In the 12 years I've had my licence I've never had a spot inspection :shrug:

I've heard of a cop asking the question "Would you use your firearm on an intruder?" Before my boss could answer the cop said "LIE" :lol: WTF?

I did like the guy who went into the gun shop in Auckland, with a knife trying to get a gun. BANG :lol: Only winged.

Here's one of mine

Mossburg.jpg

/\ /\ Well, that'll do the trick.

I can't believe the loops you have to jump through to own a gun. Sheesh

........Awaiting an update on the camera situation........