Costco Food rationing

Oliver

Have any of you seen this firsthand? I hear that they are limiting the amount of flour and rice people can buy in some stores. Can anyone attest to this at Costco or other stores?

Have any of you seen this firsthand? I hear that they are limiting the amount of flour and rice people can buy in some stores. Can anyone attest to this at Costco or other stores?

yes, they're "rationing" the amount of rice you can buy down here

wtf?? is this the commie russia? jeez, this country is going to hell in a hand basket. thankg shrubco. :ar15:

well, what seems to be happening down here is people who have cost co memberships are buying MASSIVE (20+ bags) amounts of rice to resell at a higher price elsewhere....... so cost co is cutting the huge amounts of rice bags you can buy down to like 10 bags per visit.

well, what seems to be happening down here is people who have cost co memberships are buying MASSIVE (20+ bags) amounts of rice to resell at a higher price elsewhere....... so cost co is cutting the huge amounts of rice bags you can buy down to like 10 bags per visit.

i don't care. rationing ain't cool.

saw some more about it last night on the news. i guess it's just 2 kinds of rice that are scarce and imported from europe....... the regular ol rice we produce here is fine.

i don't care. rationing ain't cool.

Dude, I'm usually with you on most things, but I think you are being a bit knee jerk reaction on this one.

Costco is just trying to eliminate profiteering. People who buy to resell and take all the stock from those who would want to buy it for themselves.

I'm guessing that these are Costco sized bags. 50 or 100 lbs each? 20 lbs at the least, I guess... Limit, 10 bags? WHO THE FUK needs more than 200 lbs of rice???

That would feed my GF's entire Cambodian clan for 6 months and they eat the crap like it's steak and lobster!!

Blame Bushco for a lot of things, but this ain't one of them. It's just a store looking out for it's customers.

B

Many world leaders are blaming the US for the grain cost increases...b/c now we are growing more corn than anything so other grains aren't being grown b/c corn is being grown...

So with this being said I think the "100lb limit" is more of a political statement that "we're trying to help the world supply" as its said who really buys 100lbs of rice at a time besides restaurant's? If I bought that much rice i'd be eating it for like 5 years

I think rationing is a part of everyday life in the US...Almost every sales sheet has a limit of X if something is on "sale" for the simple fact that if there wasnt then someone may not have a chance to buy that product...so I don't think its too wild...

I'm more concerned what happens when theres another hurricane in the gulf and gas shoots up to like 6 or 7 a gallon and truckers stop delivering everything so that leaves all the US grocery store shelves empty and for my ultimate disaster a 8.0+ earthquake nails Long Beach at the same time...I think that would happen so fast that the govt wouldn't be able to have time to react to ration everything so it'll be total chaos but thats just what I'm preparing for...I just don't have enough guns and ammo but i'll be going to my coworkers house for that since he just doubled his cache (or so he says)

sorry I went kind of astray but I think "rationing rice" is a minimal concern we should have right now as far as the US is concerned

UCC, do what we have done:

We have a cache of ammo that'd let us shoot non-stop for a day all 8 of our rifles, 4 of our handguns, and our two crossbows and compound bows. We have enough canned/dried food and bottled water to last the better part of 6 months while keeping our next door neighbors AND grandparents (total, 8 people) supplied well :)

Many world leaders are blaming the US for the grain cost increases...b/c now we are growing more corn than anything so other grains aren't being grown b/c corn is being grown...

Yeah, remember our savior Ethenol, growing corn to make it won't cut into the production of food crops they said back in the day. The report I heard said that 30% of corn being grown now is for ethenol production, and that 30% is being grown on land that was once used for other food crops.

:rolleyes:

so? why do i have to have limits? it's not my fault the rest of the world lives in crappy locations and can't grow their food.

Dude, I'm usually with you on most things, but I think you are being a bit knee jerk reaction on this one.

Costco is just trying to eliminate profiteering. People who buy to resell and take all the stock from those who would want to buy it for themselves.

I'm guessing that these are Costco sized bags. 50 or 100 lbs each? 20 lbs at the least, I guess... Limit, 10 bags? WHO THE FUK needs more than 200 lbs of rice???

That would feed my GF's entire Cambodian clan for 6 months and they eat the crap like it's steak and lobster!!

Blame Bushco for a lot of things, but this ain't one of them. It's just a store looking out for it's customers.

B

so profiteering by them is ok but not others? it ain't cool.