headlights

robert

I have one headlight out. Its not the bulb.

The other one works, but only on low.

I can't seem to figure it out. And the fog light button no longer lights up?

So I'm kind of shootin in the dark right now. well will be here shortly when its night time.

Uhm, I took the fog light button out, and moved it out of my way, but don't remember how its wired up. Yellow, Purple, and blueish. Factory switch and wiring for this.

If anyone can, instead of replying on here maybe give me a call 8128308714 names robert. so thanks if u could help me out

I have one headlight out. Its not the bulb.

The other one works, but only on low.

I can't seem to figure it out. And the fog light button no longer lights up?

So I'm kind of shootin in the dark right now. well will be here shortly when its night time.

Uhm, I took the fog light button out, and moved it out of my way, but don't remember how its wired up. Yellow, Purple, and blueish. Factory switch and wiring for this.

If anyone can, instead of replying on here maybe give me a call 8128308714 names robert. so thanks if u could help me out

Unfortunately you do not say where you live. IF you live in Canada, it may be the daylight control module, the box that controls the daytime running lights and auto lights if you have them. I had similar issues and that is what it was. Not cheap to fix, close to $500 CDN. And maybe the US versions have a similar box?

EDIT: Sorry, I looked at your profile. The 95 that you have may not have such a box as my 02. Good luck.......

Edited by Trainman

i just went through a similar headlight issue, both bulbs were good but only the left low beam would work, and the right high beam would work. after goeing nuts tracing wires( which has been fun with this truck, everyone is a mechanic until someone who wants to fix it right gets ahold of it). turns out it was the headlight switch had an internal short. 6 phillips screws for the steering colum trim, 2 for the headlight switch, 2 plugs removed, reverse procedure and had perfect working headlights.

i just went through a similar headlight issue, both bulbs were good but only the left low beam would work, and the right high beam would work. after goeing nuts tracing wires( which has been fun with this truck, everyone is a mechanic until someone who wants to fix it right gets ahold of it). turns out it was the headlight switch had an internal short. 6 phillips screws for the steering colum trim, 2 for the headlight switch, 2 plugs removed, reverse procedure and had perfect working headlights.

Mine started doing that a couple days ago. I'm blowing fuses on the Right HL like crazy.

Can you elaborate? You got as far as the dissasembly, but didn't say what you did to fix the problem.

Did you replace the switch? If so, where did the new one come from? How much?

Details man! ;)

Mine started doing that a couple days ago. I'm blowing fuses on the Right HL like crazy.

Can you elaborate? You got as far as the dissasembly, but didn't say what you did to fix the problem.

Did you replace the switch? If so, where did the new one come from? How much?

Details man! ;)

Besides cutting some jumper wires off the switch someone put on for unknown reasons and were pinching in the colum, the fix for me was replacing the headlight switch. I had a spare one from a 2wd Hardbody basemodel i had for parts. It is actually not the correct one(does not have the controls for cruise on it) but the headlights work perfectly with any of the multipule bulbs i went through thinking they were bad. I dont honestly know what goeing price would be for one, i just got luckey and have a couple spare parts laying around having stripped a fiew Hardbodies before junking then.

Bad headlight switches are a VERY VERY common problem.

Bummer. :/

Are there any problems that aren't common? Not to be negative, but I've read that statement so often here... It's kind of a downer.

The switch is $58.38 from Nissan. Any other sources? Sounds like a junk yard part would be a roll of the dice.

Well I figured out the problem was a wire to the battery and a completely melted fuse. Damn those things lol.

Part of my rewiring came undone on the distribution block, and melted the fuse for the right headlight.

But thanks guys

I found my issue too.

After swapping the HL switch (same unit as 240sx and Maxima, I found) it was still popping fuses.

I traced the wiring back to the Fog light switch. It's a sub-harness jacked into the headlamps w/ instant tap connectors under the column.

The switch is obviously wired wrong, but it's not marked which way is right and I can't find a schematic in the FSM.

Anyone know which way is right? There's a purple, yellow and green wire. Purple draws power from the HL switch.

I've got it disconnected atm, but eventually I'd like to re-use the harness for driving lamps, so I need to fix it. :crossedwires:

Thanks for the help btw.

I found my issue too.

After swapping the HL switch (same unit as 240sx and Maxima, I found) it was still popping fuses.

I traced the wiring back to the Fog light switch. It's a sub-harness jacked into the headlamps w/ instant tap connectors under the column.

The switch is obviously wired wrong, but it's not marked which way is right and I can't find a schematic in the FSM.

Anyone know which way is right? There's a purple, yellow and green wire. Purple draws power from the HL switch.

I've got it disconnected atm, but eventually I'd like to re-use the harness for driving lamps, so I need to fix it. :crossedwires:

Thanks for the help btw.

Hayseed,

Just a thought... I was blowing fuses left and right which would knock out my factory fog/driving lights and my right side headlight. I happened to notice that on a couple of occasions it blew the fuse in conjuction with me lowering the e-brake handle. I took my center console apart and found where somehow the wiring from the switch had been pinched or worn through and was shorting out, thus blowing the fuse. A few seconds with some e-tape and no more fuses blowing. Might pay for you to take a look there as well.

Good luck!

Just a thought... I was blowing fuses left and right which would knock out my factory fog/driving lights and my right side headlight. I happened to notice that on a couple of occasions it blew the fuse in conjuction with me lowering the e-brake handle. I took my center console apart and found where somehow the wiring from the switch had been pinched or worn through and was shorting out, thus blowing the fuse. A few seconds with some e-tape and no more fuses blowing. Might pay for you to take a look there as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up.

The wiring is all in prestine shape. It's all still in the wire loom. No knicks, frays of dry spots.

I'm certain it's in the way the switch was connected (there's no plug, just blade connectors), but I have no idea how I should put it back together.

I could try every possibility (three wires, four teminals on the switch.. you do the math), but I'll burn up a load of fuses in the process... or worse.

I have a similar problem on my Cdn model 93 Pathy. Since I used to work as a mechanic, I set about checking stuff out, and my old headlight switch did have some gooey contacts in it that I cleaned, but that only partially fixed the problem ( original switch the cruise button was missing when I bought the truck ... and the wrecker bought switch has similar problem). What I did discover after a call to the dealership and the guy in parts telling me they sell loads of DRL modules, was in checking that out, discovering it wasn't as much the module, but rather the WIRING harness plug to it that was the culprit. I still just need to get offa my lazy a$$ and actually fix the damn thing tho !! I'm thinking this weekend would be a good idea !!