Calcium buildup removal

unccpathfinder

So as the topic title says...my new camry and the pathy got plastered with water from our and the neighbors sprinkler system so when it dried it left what I believe to be calcium deposits on the paint/windows well I washed both and as soon as it dried the spots were still there...I've tried several things to get it off and the only thing that works is a razor blade...which I'm afraid of scratching the glass and that doesnt help the paint issue...

Thanks

Clay Bar! Use Meguires quick detail for lubricant and any brand auto clay bar...this is = to somthing like 15000 grit sand paper (super fine) and it is somewhat tacky so it picks up debris....this will make your ride feel like it was just buffed!!

Do not rub too hard with the clay, or too much in one area, without the lubricant this will start removing the clear coat. It is very easy to use and takes almost 0 effort...no elbow grease needed. Easiest description is to pretend that you are using MS Paint and coloring in a large section of your screen!

Spray the Meguires Quick Detail on the clay bar, work the bar (or piece of a bar) until it is soft in your hand

Spray the area on the car

wipe wipe wipe over a 1-2' section

If you feel the bar catching the paint, spray more Quick Detail and keep on chuggin'

When all finished I recommend waxing the area since you just removed the wax and oxidation, dirt, calcium...whatever. After you dry the area run your fingers over the spot and now you will want to clay the whole thing!

Edited by 02silverpathy

So as the topic title says...my new camry and the pathy got plastered with water from our and the neighbors sprinkler system so when it dried it left what I believe to be calcium deposits on the paint/windows well I washed both and as soon as it dried the spots were still there...I've tried several things to get it off and the only thing that works is a razor blade...which I'm afraid of scratching the glass and that doesnt help the paint issue...

Thanks

Try using some steel wool and ajax... should clean it right up...

but seriously... I second the vinegar idea...

Sweet I was thinking vinegar...I'm going to try that and some of this stuff that I got that is supposed to be paint friendly but we'll test that out 1st

Thanks for the inputs...stupid water..my neighbor had this table top fountain that had the fountain with a "granite" ball on it that rotated from the water...well after 1 week it stopped working and clogged up due to all the buildup from the tap water...and just think i'm drinking this crap

we've got one of those guys but I hate filling it up b/c I drink so much water...I probably drink close to 2 gallons a day (I drink 6-8 32oz glasses at work and then probably 4 more at home)

But I am getting car covers for the camry and possibly the pathy but i'll probably go ahead and modify our fence to have a bigger gate so I can get it in the backyard and not have to woryr about the sprinklers blowing on it...

Ditto on the Meguiars stuff if all else fails. We have a bit of stuff in the water out here, plus lots of bs coming off the trees and such onto the cars. I've had great results cleaning it up with various Meguiars cleaner and wax 3-stage products. I think I'm going to give the clay bar a try this year, especially on the wife's black Acura.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I drink a lot of water too and I agree with Grim... and if you attach whole house filter and a IR water pureifier too... you'll proabably have the best water in town...

Here in the islands very few people use the crappy "city" water here... most people have cisterns and a pump... my land lord has a filter system and the water is fine until his cheap ass "forgets" to change the filters, and you smell right away when you have gone way past the time.

I'll look into that...but i still need to do something like a car cover b/c we get some hellatious winds out here so my neighbor waters my yard plus the lot next to me on the other side of my house on a windy day...which it has bleached our fence and it better stay off of the stucco b/c thats a lil more pricey to fix

I'll look into that...but i still need to do something like a car cover b/c we get some hellatious winds out here so my neighbor waters my yard plus the lot next to me on the other side of my house on a windy day...which it has bleached our fence and it better stay off of the stucco b/c thats a lil more pricey to fix

i dont see what a car cover is gonna do.. the water will just soak right through that right? stuco you can just paint over that... we had it down in cali

well I was going to scotch guard the car cover and the ones I was looking at were "water impermeable" which I thought was water proof...

so far nothing has worked...next is vinegar (which I dont like the idea of it getting on anything other than the glass) and then some lime away or CLR...but I didnt get to try today b/c it was windy as hell today and I painted the garage

Water soaking through (*cheap*)a cover? :togo: That kind of defeats things.

A decent vehicle cover should block out anything this side of a tornado really. Or are we talking about some $20 tarp thing? Regarding your mineral/stuff build up, what so far has nor worked? What have you tried? Give the Meguiars cleaner wax a try. If anything, maybe just a paint cleaner/wax? I'd hate to question your technique... :blush:

Edited by Mr. Pickles

carb cleaner or acetone works wonders biggrin.gif (joke)

ohh man...the lady at Ace hardware suggested that....and I just looked at her and said your serious arent you and she was like yea it'll get the job done great...

Regarding your mineral/stuff build up, what so far has nor worked? What have you tried? Give the Meguiars cleaner wax a try. If anything, maybe just a paint cleaner/wax? I'd hate to question your technique... blush.gif

I've used this "magic sun" which was supposed to take it off and all it off...I've used my zymol cleaner wax with no changes...I gave this presto stuff a try that was supposed to remove it with a little better result but i had to really scrub...I've also tried several different bathroom cleaner products with no changes...next time I go to town I wll get the Meguiars (but town is an hr away)

Dude, Acetone is safe on the glass alone...it will take everything off the glass and not hurt it. Paint? Well the acetone will tear up paint, but not as fast as you might think.

For the paint... C-l-a-y B-a-r, removes contaminates and leaves paint smooooooth...fresh coat of wax and now you should be holding hard water away pretty good!

Edited by 02silverpathy

yea Acetone would be fine on my glass but I'm clumsy and would get it on the paint and I know it won't eat paint instantly but my car is less than a year old and cleaning it with acetone isn't what I really want to do

The vinegar got I'd say 90% of the buildup off of my glass...there are a couple spots still but not near what it was...I can see out of the glass now in direct sunlight