Worst gas mileage ever whats going on?

nissan4x4

My 88 pathy has been sitting for a while now because it had ran out of gas and yesterday i filled it up,with 5 gallons just to get it started and running well turns out the pathy is getting worse gas mileage than an RV. On 5 gallons it went 13 miles on all of the 5 gallons of gas.wtf is going on? what would cause this.any help is appreciated

There is no way for the engine to consume 5 gallons of fuel in 13 miles. It's physically impossible for it to run that rich. There would be CLOUDS of black smoke.

Unless I'm REALLY horribly mistaken. Maybe someone siphoned your gas when you were sleeping? :(

There is no way for the engine to consume 5 gallons of fuel in 13 miles. It's physically impossible for it to run that rich. There would be CLOUDS of black smoke.

Unless I'm REALLY horribly mistaken. Maybe someone siphoned your gas when you were sleeping? :(

He never said how long he idled it before or during that 13 miles :shrug:

Theres no cel or codes and the tank is absolutely dry no leaks,and it runs very good but when first started it smells like raw gas but goes away after getting warmed up.No smoke.but in first gear when you first take off sometimes it tries to die like your not giving it enough gas is this normal.but other than that you can in the other gears almost burn the tires bald. :tongue: could timing off be causing this? also i let it idle 10 min at most. thanks for all the help.

i don't think you're mistaken. i can't think of any scenario where 5gals would be used up in such a short run, thus the leaky tank Q.

Theres no cel or codes and the tank is absolutely dry no leaks,and it runs very good but when first started it smells like raw gas but goes away after getting warmed up.No smoke.but in first gear when you first take off sometimes it tries to die like your not giving it enough gas is this normal.but other than that you can in the other gears almost burn the tires bald. :tongue: could timing off be causing this? also i let it idle 10 min at most. thanks for all the help.

maybe you have a leaky hose somwhere man. there is no way you burnt that much. top fuel drags don't even burn that much. lol

i don't drive it around town anymore,since it ran out of gas. i have a 6 acre field i drive it around to haul stuff around my property.would not driving it long distances cause this bad of gas mileage?

i can't think of one thing that'd get you to 2.6mpg without some kind of a leak or idleing for ever and still running smooth. maybe you put in $5 worth on 5 gals? that's still be bad milage but way better then what you supposedly got.

possibility that the fuel pickup isnt at the bottom of the tank so after 5 gallons you really only picked up maybe 3/4 of a gallon? the only suggestion I could make is fill it up to the cut off of the pump drive it 100 miles then top it off again and find your mileage

when you ran out did you run it completely dry? and did it run dry again? i believe that our tanks have about a 4 gallon reserve to make sure that you dont run dry. maybe thats whats going on. If you ran dry last time then it would take 4 of those 5 to fill it.

Edited by csutke

i noticed every time i filled it up with 5 gallons the tank was empty the gas gauge never got past the E on empty and yes every time i ran it dry.

so that must be whats going on is at the bottom of the tank it's keeping 3-4 gallons untouched by the pump every time i put gas in it.

i guess i fill it all the way up and see how the mileage is then.

Edited by nissan4x4

the pump will use the reserve but its there to allow you to get to a gas station before running dry. Once the light comes on you are in the reserve and it will start using that 4 gallons.

And then there's the *reason* why all the Nissans, even the cheapest, from this era had fuel idiot lights in addition to their gauges - the pump is dependent on fuel for cooling, more so than most pumps. Running it dry can actually damage it. It's in the manuals on some models (but not on my 90's).

Edited by GhostPath