What Is This?

Badiceman

Important? lol

Probably. Trace it back to the engine bay. Do you have an FSM yet?

You know, we're putting together a group deal on some headers that would make most of your problems go away.

However, if you're in Califonia, you're still going to need that cat. You'll never be legal slapping a muffler to the manfolds and calling it a day.

And again, you really shouldn't be running you truck in the manner you have pictured here.

I would be interested in that header deal. Im not in califonia and I dont need a cat in my area. What I want to do is put a glasspack where the cat used to be and run pipes back out the way they were stock. Think that would be a good amount of back pressure?

almost 100% sure that bolts to the cat and runs up to the a pipe on taht connects for CA emissions... that then connects to this tube shown on this engine:

DSCN2885.jpg

they welded mine to my cat the at the last exhaust shop so I have just capped it up in the engine bay...other than that I dont think you need it unless you ahve to pass CA emissions and it doesnt show up on your "emission diagram" under the hood...I know in NC they would look for it b/c it was "emissions" and on the diagram

That is the cat's air injection line. It goes from the AIV case up front on the driver's side, to the cat. Allowing a small amount of fresh air into the cat at normal operating temps helps unburned fuel combust more completely. It is an emissions part.

That is the cat's air injection line. It goes from the AIV case up front on the driver's side, to the cat. Allowing a small amount of fresh air into the cat at normal operating temps helps unburned fuel combust more completely. It is an emissions part.

Thorley headers would eliminate that and just run the pipe that goes to the EGR wouldn't they? I'm kind of fuzzy on the pre-90's models. Do they even have an EGR valve?

Badiceman, check the 90-95 WD21 section for the header deal.

Thorley headers would eliminate that and just run the pipe that goes to the EGR wouldn't they? I'm kind of fuzzy on the pre-90's models. Do they even have an EGR valve?

Badiceman, check the 90-95 WD21 section for the header deal.

Nope, the stock cat stays put, the AIV line bolts to it. All Pathfinders have an EGR valve AFAIK. It's a real basic part of emissions control, even on non-CA vehicles.

Ok, I didn’t understand.

So, the AIV (EAI from the Nissan parts book?) is just an air box off to the side and has nothing else to do with the exhaust system other then the cat.... Right?

Seeing as he's removed his cat, he really doesn't need this tube, does he?

Also, given the position of the DE30I's EGR, will the same Thorley headers work for both the I & E w/o modifying anything?

What's with the extra manifold tubes in the pic above?

• 3 weeks later...
Mine has a gnarly exhaust leak thats broken off from that, and i tried to put jbweld over it,and im retarted cause it was still warm and it just melted down into it, what harm can that cause?

It should just burn up. Tried JB once for a trail repair on my exhaust, lasted about 5 minutes.