Slider fab on my 92 pathy

yozsi

Well, i'll post this up here cause i been getting a few pm's about this. I basically was getting bored and i was itching for some fabbing because i can't continue on with my sas because im selling my house and moving. So i decided to make some sliders to prevent my rockers and frame from more damage.

Yea, so i picked up some steel

DSCF1081.jpg

need to try to prevent more of this:

DSCF1083.jpg

Im making the main tube out of .125 wall 2x3 and the legs will be out of .125 wall 2x2, 1/4 x 3 plate will be used for everything else.

I chamfered the leading edge at 50 degrees to slide over stuff easier.

DSCF1087.jpg

I cut out a end plate from the 1/4 inch plate i had

DSCF1088.jpg

and welded it on to the end

DSCF1091.jpg

Edited by yozsi

did the same to the other side:

DSCF1097.jpg

DSCF1098.jpg

DSCF1099.jpg

I cut 3 legs out of the 2x2 and welded them to the main slider

DSCF1104.jpg

DSCF1103.jpg

DSCF1108.jpg

how this side should look when welded up

DSCF1110.jpg

i'll keep you guys updated.

That is on my project list myself picked up my steel in san jose for .55 per pound. spent about $100 bucks. Thinking of doing mine a little differently, I will be posting pics of mine shortly.

Mark

Edited by msavides

Alrighty, I made the other side slider. Had a lil trouble cause i didn't realize that i musta bumped the knob on the regulator and i was only getting 5 cfh of gas flow. lol the welds sucked on the end plates but i ground the bad ones out and re welded. The welds on the legs looked great. I also cut out 6 gussets and the plate that im welding to the frame. I also notched out the pinch seam for maximum clearance.

DSCF1114.jpg

DSCF1113.jpg

DSCF1115.jpg

better put some more gussets in at the frame.. mine are done pretty much the same way (small differences)

I came down hard, bent the 2x3x.188 tube, and pinched the frame..

hmmm, might have to do that at a later time... i dont think i will be coming down all that had on em.

I welded the slider to the passengers side and its all done. I had a tough time finding decent metal on the frame and my damn mig is limited to the 5 foot power cord and 12 foot gun lead. Some of the welds are horrible looking but they should hold.

eww!

DSCF1124.jpg

even worse!

DSCF1125.jpg

DSCF1126.jpg

DSCF1122.jpg

Looks good man. I like that color on the pathy also.

thanks, the welds will be better on the drivers side, i just need to figure out how to get in a better position. Maybe ill just stick weld em. The color... yea i liked it too... until i started beating on the truck. It might look nice in pics but the truck is all jacked up. Its got rust, smashed in quarter panel, rockers, bumper. lol now its gonna become a trail rig.

looking good, But not recommended to weld on directly to the frame. A frame can weaken from a large temperature.

look here :

62_slider_6.jpg

fastening on step-ladders !!

Edited by kos

looking good, But not recommended to weld on directly to the frame. A frame can weaken from a large temperature.

look here :

those are weaker than all heck. plus, welding to the frame doesnt weaken it... who told you that?

those are weaker than all heck. plus, welding to the frame doesnt weaken it... who told you that?

_ the transversal stitches of welding weakening a frame. weakening from temperature tensions

_ the transversal stitches of welding weakening a frame. weakening from temperature tensions

okay... so why did the factory weld to the frame then? Dont worry i know everything about HAZ's , plus i dont weld in one shot and i allow it to cool naturally. Just provide proof to me that welding weakens the metal, if it does then why is everything welded to the frame?

look here :

62_slider_6.jpg

BS.

Those ones you build would last all of 5 min on the trail.

if welfing to the frame is no good,, i better stop driving mine!

In THEORY only.. you are not supposed to weld perpendicular to the frame. but keep it /// or \\\\.

I've been beating the @!*% out of mine for over 2 years and no issues (expept the one spot, but i asked for that).

Yosi, the way you did your are OK. But i'd really try and triangulate them off the frame a bit more. having them welded on perpendicular.. IS going to cause frame pinching if you come doown on them hard.

Yosi, the way you did your are OK. But i'd really try and triangulate them off the frame a bit more. having them welded on perpendicular.. IS going to cause frame pinching if you come doown on them hard.

yep i know i might pinch the frame a lil, but like i said, i dont think im going to be dropping it that hard. i dunno, i still got the front d44 to put in with the ox. then maybe if i try harder trails i'll triangulate them to the frame a lil more.

... so why did the factory weld to the frame then? ........ if it does then why is everything welded to the frame?

on a factory a frame welds on a ship-way, sorry to my English..., and on a factory after welding a frame is normalized

nope, they do anneal or temper the metal after welding. im sorry, i'm still not buying it (btw, i have worked with many a frame builder in the automotive world).