Pathfinder Ho - Livermore, California

Mecinoid

Hey guys and gals I found this site about a month ago. I've always wanted a place to go on-line to share my off roading experiences and get information on my 2001 Pathfinder. For a few years I've been struggling to find some nice street wheels but, haven't been too worried as I think the Pathfinder looks and works really good right off the production line.

My wife and I bought the Pathfinder after years of wheeling and towing. We just wanted something that would tow our 5000lbs boat to the lake and take trails with a little more comfort and ease. My last 4WD Vehicle that we traded in for this Pathfinder was a really nice 1993 Cherokee which I'll post a picture on below.

Prior to the Jeep Cherokee we have owned other 4WD vehicles such as Bronco II, Ranger, F250 Pickup, Toyota Pickup and a Dodge Powerwagon.

In Nov 2007 we bought a 2004 Jeep Wrangler to tow behind our Motorhome after spending a lot of time finding out that your can't flat tow a Pathfinder behind a Motorhome even if you use a drive line disconnect to our disappointment. We like our Pathfinder for it's convenience but it just wouldn't work short of putting it on a trailer. The wife did not want us to have to mess with that in campsites. Personally, I still would like to get an enclosed trailer to take the Pathfinder along and will most likely in the future.

A little more about me - Of course I love the outdoors if you haven't figure that out yet. We love to get away on the weekends with the Motorhome and then trek to a hideaway location. At the end of the day we do like to get back to the comforts of our Motorhome. For, years we did tent camping and really enjoyed it. However, after years and years of tent camping we found that it was nice to take a second home with us. It's just one of those things we grew into. Plus, the wife likes the bathroom and the ability to take a shower at the end of a dusty trail day. So, we are a little over the top in that area.

Recently, I've been getting back into running, mountain, road biking, snow/water skiing and hiking with the wife. The object is to get myself back into top shape so that I can continue to travel and enjoy this life for another 20-25 years. This ends up being part of my weekend routine as well. We plan to go away every other weekend but, it doesn't always work out that way. Even in the winter we try to get away about every three weekends or so. Sometimes we find that we just can't do to chores around the house or family gatherings etc... But, we really like getting out and seeing stuff.

In the past year I have been to Tahoe rim trail, 17 mile drive, Pismo Beach, many other trails and lakes. I will share some of these picture with you guys in off topic forums. Just in this past month we have taken an interest in visiting light houses on the coast of California. We have seen inside three and have visited 5 so far.

What else would someone like to know about me in a auto/truck forum. OK >>> I do most of my own maintenance and modification on my vehicles and I have collected quite a few to this point in my life. I have a couple of sports cars, a older F100 Pickup that is coming along nicely and next thing is to set up my garage as a super clean and fun 50's kind of place to hang. I'm in a partnership on a 67 Camaro Drag Car that we just finished building a 800HP motor for and now it is being wired up with high-tech computer monitors for improved performance and use.

So that's it for now, let get to the pictures of the Pathfinder, Jeep and Motorhome. The reason I post all three is it might help to identify me if we ever meet up for a trail ride. If your interested in any of the other vehicles, pictures of places I mentioned or the like let me know. I'll be glad to post them up as I'm a avid photographer that takes 100's of shots on any giving weekend. I like video taping as well just have going away from it recently with all the on-line posting etc.... OK, sorry.... off track... I do that a bit. Back to the pictures.

Pathfinder - We just LOVE our Pathfinder (especially with the VQ or Z engine in it):

DSC05601.jpg

DSC05635.jpg

35ef4539.jpg

DSC05609.jpg

The Old Jeep Cherokee - We traded this for the Pathfinder:

DSC04401.jpg

Old Jeep and Camaro Drag Car:

DSC06454.jpg

The New '04 Wrangler - Nice, but there are lot of things we like much more on our Pathfinder. One of them is power !!!

DSC01545.jpg

Motorhome with Jeep in tow:

DSC01334.jpg

Please say hello if you make it to this thread and share some of your travel stories with me. I'm always looking for the next cool place to go as is my neighbor with his Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Edited by Mecinoid

OMG. you are the closest member to me! (besides Mark) YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!! :bounce: hello from LATHROP!!!!! WAVEY

would you be needing to adopt a 38 year old? i am available :D

travel stories. erm, used to go to pismo with the ex and the sand rail, asilomar/monterey/santa cruz are where i like to go to get away. spent MANY a night at infineon raceway and the altamont when i lived on the other side of the hill.

done the rubicon in my 90 wrangler (no longer have that), and i spend a lot of time at frank raines park in patterson (del porto canyon). used to live in castro valley.....n yeah, you're by FAR my closest neighbor :bounce:

we have guys in santa cruz, san jose, another here in manteca, chico, down south......

oh yeah, i grew up in livermore on locust street :)

Edited by Slick

Yep, I try to keep young and stay alive doing active stuff.

I have a really good friend in the FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiats) Club over in Oakdale so I pass your way a bunch. He does a lot of my welding and between Rick, him and myself we can get most jobs done.

I just had headers and dual exhausts put on my F100 this week and next comes a 390 with a 4bbl to go with it @ 400HP. Right now I have a strong 360 2bbl. But, that doesn't mean much cause they only put out like 185HP..... Lol. Looking for some power up grades.

DSC07314twinpipes.jpg

I'm always looking for a fishing, sking or boating partner for the delta. I like Tower Park a lot. Close yet good jumping off point for SF Bay or Sacramento River.

Thanks for your replies guys .... Hopefully, we can get some local stuff going. - AJ -

Edited by Mecinoid

well, if yer ever passing through modesto on your way to oakdale, i work at the u haul down there on kansas ave (i'm the mgr). i live right off i-5 in lathrop as well.

have to give a shout out the next time you're in the neighborhood for sure, bust out the BBQ :beer: i still owe mark 1 anyway lol

my ex and i would take the dog out on his 18'6" bayliner to oakdale all the time..... i am currently debating between buying an economical car or a jet ski.... (i hate the summer heat and i LOVE water)

Edited by Slick

Howdy another central coast member here! WAVEY

I'm from Santa Cruz (well Felton if you're familiar with the area). I'm hoping to plan a trip to Hollister in the next couple of weeks, so keep an eye on the Southwest States sub-forum! :D

well, if yer ever passing through modesto on your way to oakdale, i work at the u haul down there on kansas ave (i'm the mgr). i live right off i-5 in lathrop as well.

have to give a shout out the next time you're in the neighborhood for sure, bust out the BBQ :beer: i still owe mark 1 anyway lol

my ex and i would take the dog out on his 18'6" bayliner to oakdale all the time..... i am currently debating between buying an economical car or a jet ski.... (i hate the summer heat and i LOVE water)

Well, as much as the Jet Ski sound like it would be fun.... you can rent this year and buy a econ car. It looks like you have enough of a commute to make it worth while. But, then again.... don't forget your insurance, sales tax, and reg cost for that econ car. It might be cheaper to just pay the extra gas money driving one of those Pathfinders to work.

Quick calculation. Worst cases - Say you drive 40mile RT to work and get 15 mpg in your Pathfinder. Say you buy a econ car that get 30 mpg. Gas is $3.33 a gal. Pathfinder cost you say $10 RT and econ car cost $5 RT. That is a savings of $25 a week and a little over $100 a month in gas. OK so you buy a car for $3000 inc tax for ease of calculation. That might get you a good used car.

Then a couple things to think about. OK, every used car I've bought needed some work ... I mean something ..... but let's discount that for now.

So, with your $100 a month savings you have to buy insurance .... That's $50 a month ... So, your saving $50 a month and that is if you don't drive your Pathfinders at all to work.

Question is how long does it take before your saving any money? ROUGHLY $3000 / $50 or 60 months.

Oh heck, on second thought buy the Jet Ski. Insurance is only $20 a month and you can get one heck of a nice Jet Ski for $3000. ;-)

Did my post help? LOL !!!

Oh, and BTW I make it over that way every other week ... and I seem to always need towing equipment ;-). Right now I'm looking to get one of those nicer tow bars with the shocking action. But, it will have to wait a month or two. What I have works great ... but, I'm always modding and making my set ups better. Take care.

Edited by Mecinoid

Hello! Welcome. Im about the same distance away from as you to slick. Im from San Jose. Hopefully we can get something local going again.

Grew up in Sunnyvale. Livermore is a great jumping off point so that is one of the reasons I moved over here. 1-1.5 hours to the beach. Some trail running just 30 minutes from me. Then there is good wheeling 1-1.5 hours away and of course the Rubicon is only 3 hours from here. ;-) Rim Trail at Tahoe might be a good first outing?

Thanks for your reply - AJ

Howdy another central coast member here! WAVEY

I'm from Santa Cruz (well Felton if you're familiar with the area). I'm hoping to plan a trip to Hollister in the next couple of weeks, so keep an eye on the Southwest States sub-forum! :D

Nice, yes I know where Felton is. Narrow Gage Trains and Redwoods. Boulder Creek is close by. Grew up in S'vale making the HWY 17 runs over the hill to the beach in our sports cars a long time ago. It would take us like 30-45mins to get there. Yeah, back then a speeding ticket was only a speeding ticket not a financial disaster.

Hi there! I've been through Livermore. Nice scenery on the inland side of the mountains, then you get fog on the other side. :( Ah well, it burns off. :D

We don't get much fog here anymore. 20 years ago, before development you would have 30-40 a year with fog until NOON. Now, well, I think we only got like 2-3 days this year and in past year even less. Over the hill in the bay area they will still get 20-30 days a year of fog until NOON. Over the hill the other way into the Central Valley you'll get 40-50 day a year of fog. Also, SF still seems to get 40-50 days a year when the fog doesn't burn off until NOON. I think it's the fact that we are up at 450' and delvelopment has heated the land. So, if any fog make it through the passes it just gets pushed up now. Dunno really ....

Nice to meet you. Salem is beautiful. Been there a few times.

Edited by Mecinoid

Hi there, I'm a million miles away in Canada, and have no idea what half of this thread is about! lol

Welcome to the board... pics are ALWAYS welcome here!

Welcome,

I live in Manteca, CA. Good to see a few more pathfinder owners popping up in the area.

I have been trying to get a wheeling trip to Anywhere for the past 8 months. Everyone here is busy working, Broke, Doing something else, or have a broken truck. Or All of the above. I have funneled a ton of money on my pathfinder and am trying to test it out before I toss any more money into her. I work in Redwood city and drive there 5 days a week. This Gas price situation is taking away my pathfinder upgrade fun! So it hits home what you were saying about getting a commuter vehicle. I have to get up at 3 am just so I don't sit in traffic for 4 hours trying to get to work. then have the fun drive home in the afternoon around 3pm. I go through the back roads and avoid the freeways. So I travel through Livermore Wine country every day, much nicer scenery then sitting on 580 for 2 hours. Maybe one of these day we will get a trip together and do some wheeling, that Is If Slick and Andrew ever get there Pathfinders fixed! :deadhorse:

Enjoy the forum, It is the best pathfinder forum in the world.

Mark

Maybe one of these day we will get a trip together and do some wheeling, that Is If Slick and Andrew ever get there Pathfinders fixed! :deadhorse:

Enjoy the forum, It is the best pathfinder forum in the world.

Mark

hey, i have been sick, it's been windy, i went to monterey, and now i am home, it is windy, i am tired, and i just don't have any enthusiasm to work on the old fart after allllllll that work i already did .. i need a garage damnit.

he'll run...... soon..... soon meaning within a couple MONTHS lol