Block Heater?

Nissan3

Just wondering, is there anything special that needs to be done to activate the block heater. I got an 03 chilkoot edition I've heard the heater comes pre-installed but you have to purchase the cord and have it installed? Mine already had the cord when i bought it. Reason i ask i've been up north and used it a few time but i don't even know if its working. Is there supposed some clicking sound or anything when you plug it in?

Thanks

No sounds, no lights, no dancing beavers, just plug it in and go. The only thing you will notice is that when it gets to about -10 or less, the truck will start easier than if you left the block heater unplugged. If you see a little flash when you plug the extension cord into the wall, then you know its getting juice.

are these only on certain models or do all R50's have them?

I'm not sure, I think maybe only R50's sold in certain markets (like Canada) had a block heater installed at the factory. The cable was installed at the stealership if it was installed. Mine had a block heater but no cable, I bought the cable and hooked it up myself. BIG PITA!!!!

would you mind filling us in on where it is? my dad wants to know.

*checks paycheque*

Nope, doesnt say from Nissan Canada on it.

I don't know that for sure, but it is what I have been lead to believe. I assume your Dad doesn't have one?

*checks paycheque*

Nope, doesnt say from Nissan Canada on it.

I don't know that for sure, but it is what I have been lead to believe. I assume your Dad doesn't have one?

Nope and it would make those cold starts much easier lol. Although we do have a motomaster deep cycle battery....

My wd21 seems to handle the canadian winter starts with ease.

would you mind filling us in on where it is? my dad wants to know.

It is on the driver's side of the engine, on the side of the engine under the exhaust manifold. If there isn't a cord attached to it then there should be an orange (I think it was orange) plug to protect the connection. If you look from the front driver's side wheel well area up along the exhaust pipe you should be able to catch a glimps of this orange protective plug thing. I could see mine and that confirmed to me that all I needed was the cord.

It is a HUGE PITA to be able to reach up in there and connect the plug though. I ended up going at it from the front side of the truck, while I was in the middle of an oil change. I had already removed the front splash guard and the oil filter, I reached my arm in through the area where the oil filter was and up to where I had to connect the plug. My arm was all twisted up trying to reach all the way and I could only muster a bit of force in the ends of my fingers to push the connector on to connect it. Then I zip tied the cord a few places and brought it out the front grill.