Starting my lift

dogy2003

So my drivers side strut is on it's way out so I think that it's time for the AC lift to happen. I was planning on getting the AC lift with the bilstein shocks and the GR2 struts. I was also going to get this spring compressor, and I was wondering if you guys think that I will run into any difficult snags while installing the lift? I have done some other minor matinence on my car, but this will be the first major project that I will do on my truck. And advice or input would be much appreciated.

I wouldn't get that compressor, it si not flexable enough. You will need the ones that Autozone carries, they open subsatntially farther and are independant of each other (2). You will need quite a but of opening to get enough coils mashed shut to safely remove....****Compressing these coils is dangerous****this is why you want super heavy duty compressors.

Check out these!

Edited by 02silverpathy

I wouldn't get that compressor, it si not flexable enough. You will need the ones that Autozone carries, they open subsatntially farther and are independant of each other (2). You will need quite a but of opening to get enough coils mashed shut to safely remove....****Compressing these coils is dangerous****this is why you want super heavy duty compressors.

Check out these!

And a tip. I rented those same ones from napa. You essentially pay for them and then return them for a refund. But it's set up by napa as a rental, nothing dishonest. So try that avenue to save money if possible.

I agree on using the second style of spring compressors mentioned here. That is the kind that I own and have used them many many times on various vehicles.

Another tip, when using that style you want the two compressors 180 degrees from each other to compress the coil evenly, if you find the spring compressors sliding down the coil (because you are not compressing from the flat ends of the coils but from another spot within the coil) try using a small vise grip or clamp on the downward side of the compressor to keep it from sliding down the coil.

Also, I like to hold the strut in a bench vise while I work on them to keep it stable.

Good luck.

+2 on the second kind of compressor; that is the kind I used on my lift.

I ran into a couple snags on doing the front part of the lift. The lower bolt on the passenger strut was seized in the knuckle so what we had to do was remove the whole unit off the truck and blast off the head with oxy torch then had to drill out the shank; like I said, a royal PITA. The second issue I had, which isn't that big of a deal, was the sway bar end links had to be cut in half because the nut wouldn't come off. I still need to cut the old ones off the sway bar and install new ones. Other than that it was pretty straight forward.

I would also highly recommend replacing lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and strut bearing while you already have everything apart. Then get camber alignment bolts and get a front end alignment.

Good luck. :beer:

Edited by SantaCruz163

start PBlasting the hell out of all the nuts and bolts now, as it will help a little to loosen them up a little. I also had to hack all four sway bar links to get the old stuff off, the bolts for the lower strut mount we had to hammer out and then they got bent to hell so we had to buy news ones. (from home depot) air tools will help a great deal if you have them, and try to do it during the week so in case you have problems there are places open to help.

Thanks for the input, I will definitly get the second compressor type, I will also post a bunch on pics when I get started. It will probably be in about three weeks, I need to get a bunch of stuff ordered first.

Oh man I can't begin to tell you how much air tools, PB Blaster and a good breaker bar helps for this job. I rented those same spring compressors from AutoZone ($40 to rent, $40 refunded when you're done). I compressed the first spring manually with a rachet. It took a while but got it done. The second one, I just hit it with the impact wrench and voila, compressed spring in less than a minute. Good luck.

I have a few shots on my website when i did the lift install. http:\\kmgar.tripod.com I haven't had a chance to finish my website, so not all the photos are posted. Don't forget to get the Camber adjusting bolts (replaces the uppper where the strut mounts to the spindle). I got mine from http://www.k-mac.com.au/

Tools:

Two strut spring compressors (Go on the outside of the spring, unlike the coil spring compressors that go inside the spring)

Impact wrench

Metric sockets up to 22mm (I think 22mm is the largest i used)

Metric Wrenches

Metric Allen wreches

Small Sledge hammer

Drive Pins

Pry bars

Good quality jack stands

Hey dogy2003. Sounds like you are on track for some good mods. If you have only done "minor" maintanance (i.e. oil/fluid/filter changes) then I would recomend you get dirty and bust your knuckes on the rear springs/shocks. Then take it to a shop and pay to have the front done or at least take the strut assemblies in to have replaced. If you don't have proper tools and equipment it can potentially be a dangerous job. Shop around you'll find the price to do so is reasonable and at least this way your still advancing you skill to more major projects for the future.

Then take it to a shop and pay to have the front done or at least take the strut assemblies in to have replaced.

thats what I did, but I did my lift on a sunday so the only place open was sears, man those guys suck!

YES strut bearing replacement...the little flat piece of plastic with a small lip that swivels under the weight of the entire assembly incl the truck!! OEM ONLY!! KYB version sucks baad!!

I do "rent" mine from Autozone....this IS the way to go...when you use these compressors a few times you WILL see flakes of metal come out from the bottom part of the compressor...my fear here is that eventually the spring hooks themselves are wearing away their teeth and eventually will pop loose to severly damge the user, so I swap mine out after heavy use. This = safety.

A bunch of good advice here guys, thanks. So I just bought a impact wrench and am learning hor to use it, lots o fun, and I have a buddy that is an actual mechanic so he is going to give a hand with the front end. I agree that the compression of the coils would probably result in me loosing a arm and a hole in my fender if I did it alone, LOL. So i'm waiting for my tax return and then I'll be ordering the shocks and what not. Thanks

I have installed new coils in R50 struts too many times to count, and I burned through 3 pairs of those inexpensive strut compressors. Annoyed by the fact that the compressors take forever to do their thing using an impact wrench, and by the obnoxious noise of my air compressor, I finally decided to get a better tool for compressing struts. I got a good deal on this professional-quality tool via e-bay, and I built a stand for it using some leftover 2x4's.

Edited by XPLORx4

Dean, that things awesome! I'm getting ready to pick up some different length coils and that would come in handy. I just picked up some used coil overs from the junk yard....i really want to see if i can make something like this work on the pathy.