Road Trip from Florida to Alaska in the path!

RoadTrippin

So I finally got it! Im leaving for 2 months to take a seasonal job in Alaska. I plan on driving there with a buddy and using it while were up there. Pathy is a 96 4x4 with 120,000 on the odo. Never have taken it out of the state but the truck has spent most of its life in NY (RUST). I was just wondering what one might do before the trip as far as maint. and mods that may help highway driving, snow driving, ice driving. What are some good things to carry? Chains, spare tire ect.. I was thinkin about swapping out my 31x10.5 for some 29x10.5 (suggestions for tires?:unsure:). Also I was lookin into a snorkel and some warn hubs for the fuel economy and ram air effect on the highway. Ill post some pics of my rig since I never have before and since this is my first real topic. thanks guys!

Well for Maintenance I would change ALL the fluids. Get a new battery if yours has some years on it. Basic Tune-up is never a bad idea either. Kinda depends on what kinda money you want to throw at it before you go. From what you have said about getting new tires, snorkel and warn hubs your already looking at 800 dollars or so unless you make the snorkel yourself and if your just wanting the snorkel for "ram air affect" then that's a waste of money. I would put that money towards tuning up and preventative maintanence before the long trip. As far as what to bring refer to the thread of "what do you carry with you". I always carry water,food,warm clothes/blankets, tools, shovel, tire chains, pull strap, duct tape, electrical tape, and toilet paper. Just think of what you would need to survive if god-forbid you got stranded. Sounds like a fun road trip.

i just made about a 1000 mile trip to my new job (thanks brian) and before i left i changed the front and rear diffs, tranny and t-case and engine oil and some other misc things that needed chaning. i would recommond getting either sirius or xm satilite radio as it was a life saver for me. It made the 12 trip go by alot faster and it was nice having something different to listen to the whole way down to tx from co. as for what to carry just like what brian said things that you would need to survive if needed. other types of maintanance what has been done that you know of will help others to recommond what is needed. true going to a smaller tire will give you better MPG but will also decrease you ground clearance if you need it.

So I finally got it! Im leaving for 2 months to take a seasonal job in Alaska. I plan on driving there with a buddy and using it while were up there. Pathy is a 96 4x4 with 120,000 on the odo. Never have taken it out of the state but the truck has spent most of its life in NY (RUST). I was just wondering what one might do before the trip as far as maint. and mods that may help highway driving, snow driving, ice driving. What are some good things to carry? Chains, spare tire ect.. I was thinkin about swapping out my 31x10.5 for some 29x10.5 (suggestions for tires?:unsure:). Also I was lookin into a snorkel and some warn hubs for the fuel economy and ram air effect on the highway. Ill post some pics of my rig since I never have before and since this is my first real topic. thanks guys!

I agree on changing out all the fluids for sure. I would begin the trip with all new tires, even the spare. The Al-Can Highway is excellent in eating tires and virtually every road in Alaska will eat tires. Not so bad near the coastal area but the interior is a "B". Too much freezing/thawing/freezing/thawing.

Road safety is mandatory. Having come around a corner only to see a female Moose with calf looking down at me can be quite humbling. They stand about 9-10 feet high, are all over the place and seem to love to jump out in front of cars. You will lose the battle so watch the speed and what is ahead of you at all times.

Alaska weather can change in a heartbeat so carry warm and cold. Rain is common, especially near the coast so be prepared.

If you have never been there, Alaska will over whelm you. It is beyond huge, wild, beautiful or any other colorful phrase. Bald Eagles are as common as pigeons. Is is quite common to see multiple road kills per day. Some are humongous. The Police keep locals on speed dial to come harvest the kills if they are fresh enough.

Lots of drunks wandering around in and out of traffic allover the cities so watch for them.

For sure keep enough food/water/first aid stuff for at least a few days in the rig at all times and keep it all fresh and new. I would also carry a FRS Radio to go along with my normal CB. Lots of folks carry them now and they are far superior to the CB for range and clarity. Make sure you have the right attachments to keep your Cell Phone charged while in the vehicle. Carry some extra vehicle fuses ( the right sizes) and that your car bettery is in excellent condition.

Take a decent camera. You could easily fill a couple of 4gig SD cards..................just too much to see and take in.

It is truely the Last Frontier. Go ready for adventure. Dam, I need to get back up there.

Edited by RWC5S2

You can over inflate your tires for a bit better gas mileage, of course you know what will happen to the tread wear if you do. i'd really spend the money on fluid changes, maybe some new suspension part if they haven't been replaced in a while. anything that you think might fail before spending money on off road parts. you could try putting in better gas too for better mileage, my uncle says he gets better mileage in his maxima when he drives from Toronto to Florida. but you should make sure it's ok to put higher octane in without damaging the engine.

should be a great road trip. you could always buy a bunch of stuff for the trip from Walmart and return it when you get to alaska, i'm sure there's a walmart there.... :lol: i do it all the time, they never ask why you're returning it...great for when you need tools to fix something on the road, etc.

Edited by skrillz

gun? lol

i'd go with bigger tires.. you don't need the snorkle.

extra fluids, tools, fuses, bulbs, tire pump, jack... clothing you can layer for the cold. pan for gold panning.. batteries and charger, camera, i agree on FRS... learn about the weather and watch the skies. camping gear. you should basically be self sufficient. alcan has traffic on it but if you go off somewhere then who knows if you'll ever see another human.

also learn how to build a fire as 99% of peeps have no idea how to do it and when needed it's the best thing ever. i would say it is the number 1 thing to know in the wilderness.

map and compass and learn how to use them. yeah you can have your GPS too but map is irreplaceable. learn how to use the unit also.. remember that you will need batteries for this pup too.

plan, organize and check everything 2x.

have a blast and we better see a bunch of pictures when/if you come back. :D

To cover the more serious aspect of the trip and potential trouble on the road:

A gun is not a bad idea as long as you know how to use one and are not affraid to in a tight situation. And I do not mean some 300 round AK47 or such drivel. Just a good hand gun. Just keep it in a safe place and never tell any one about it.

At the very least I would get a GOOD QUALITY knife...nothing from China. A good multipurpose knife like a K-BAR. It will cut small kindling for a fire as well as hack larger branches for fire, walking stick, general camping needs for a knife, great protection, first aid (splints etc) a good knife is hard to beat if you are stuck in the boonies.

Strike any where wood stick matches and a water proof container (all located at Wal-mart), even some of those magnesium fire starters.....the KBar will handle the rest.

You have some real good info being offered in these postings. Most of the items can be stored easily in cheap see-thru plastic and remember you only need to carry enough to last for a few days at a time.

Some of this stuff may seem paranoid but you are going a long way through some beautiful but dangerous lands. There are lots of idiots that get to become a buffet in Alaska each year due to acting like they are on a trip to Disney Land and not where wild animals out number you by about 100 - 1.

A little common sense and a little paranoia is not a bad thing.

One last thought............a couple of those new LED crank to charge flashlights. Cheap and work real well. I keep one in the car and a few aroun the house for power loss, etc. Some even have AM-FM radios.

You've received excellent advice;I would do EVERYTHING that has been mentioned. I think you have to realize that you may be on your own without other cars/ towns nearby for help for substantial parts of your trip. I beleive that after self sufficiency the paradigm should be survivablity. In that, I mean being able to survive, stranded, for at least 1 week with sufficient food ,water and clothing - until you can be found by a SAR team. You should establish a call in schedule with someone in your family, probably around ETA to various towns along your route. If you are over due they could alert authorities that you may be in trouble. Chances are you will have a great trip without problem but as they say "hope for the best and plan for the worst" Good luck !! -- glenn

Hey thank you all for the super good info. I didnt even think about the camping aspect cause I just figured id stay in hotels, but now im definetly gonna plan for some wilderness survival adventure (or in case of emergency of coarse). What about those whistles to scare away deer, will those work for moose too?The gun is a good idea but what kind of laws are there for carrying guns across state and country borders? Is there some if any highway patrol out there to rescue me in case the finder gets lost or breaks down? How do you know if the timing belt needs to be replaced or if it already has? Man I just get super excited when planning epic adventures into the unknown. Thanks again

-Chris

I doubt the whistle will scare away anything, but they're good to have on you as it's easier to hear a whistle then a person yelling "help". Gun laws vary considerbly from state to state and if you get stopped you could have A LOT of trouble depending on where you are. Besides, unless you are VERY familiar with firearm maintenance and safety you are more likely then not to end up hurting yourself. I wouldn't bring one.Timing belt ? well I agree it should have been replaced around 70-80 K miles and if not you better do it before you leave. If you can't verify from a shop where it was supposedly done ,you could try asking a trusted mechanic for an evaluation of the one that's in there now.

Alaska?

1) At least a weeks worth of non-perishable rations and twice as much water

2) Fire starting materials (waterproofed matches, lighter, etc)

3) Foil blanket, spare batteries, lamps

4) Emergency Radio and/or Transponder

5) Phone Schedule (after 2 hours late have the family alert authorities)

6) a firearm or good knife - I'd take my 1911 Colt .45 semi-auto myself along with a Buck or Bowie knife or a k-bar

7) Brain

Keep it smart, change yer fluids, battery, possibly spark plugs, wires, and dizzy cap even. Keep spare fuel in an airtight container, be safe, have fun!

Hey thank you all for the super good info. I didnt even think about the camping aspect cause I just figured id stay in hotels, but now im definetly gonna plan for some wilderness survival adventure (or in case of emergency of coarse). What about those whistles to scare away deer, will those work for moose too?The gun is a good idea but what kind of laws are there for carrying guns across state and country borders? Is there some if any highway patrol out there to rescue me in case the finder gets lost or breaks down? How do you know if the timing belt needs to be replaced or if it already has? Man I just get super excited when planning epic adventures into the unknown. Thanks again

-Chris

From a strictly legal aspect, forget the gun. Too many laws and variables. That is the safe answer. My thoughts for going on such an adventure is "better to judged by 12 than carried by 6". But, as Glenn pointed out, you have to be very, very comfortable doing this.

Those survival whistles are ok just from a stand point of having a compass, light, watertight match case, mirror and whistle in one small package. The quality is highly suspect on most of them.

Herbivores like moose and deer are not your problem, unless on the highway or you get between mommy and baby moose. Then mommy will stick your survival whistle where the sun don't shine. Your main worry is getting stuck some place, possibly being injured and having to wait for help. Bears then become your problem, along with basic survival and the fact that all your potential enemies do not have 4 legs (this is where my thoughts on a gun come in). That and I have been around weapons all my life and I look at them as merely tools for specific needs.

It really does boil down to plan for the worst or at least expect some problems, and if it does not happen you are obviously going to be having way too much fun.

If you can't verify from a shop where it was supposedly done ,you could try asking a trusted mechanic for an evaluation of the one that's in there now.
If you're going to all the trouble pulling everything off to check the timing belt, it would take an extra 20 minutes to just replace it.

All the survival stuff mentioned above would be a good precaution, but there's no sense in carting it all the way from FL. I'd pick it up once I got to the point where I might need it. That would save space on most of your trip, plus what advice could a store clerk in FL give you about sub-artic survival gear anyway?

A camera is a definate necessity, but don't just whip it out once you get there. Snap some shots of stuff on your trip and post them up here. Some of us need to live vicariously through others, y'know.

All the survival stuff mentioned above would be a good precaution, but there's no sense in carting it all the way from FL. I'd pick it up once I got to the point where I might need it. That would save space on most of your trip, plus what advice could a store clerk in FL give you about sub-artic survival gear anyway?

Well said JJ

I've never been to Canada, but have heard you can't cross Canadian border with a gun. Isn't there a ferry ride from Seatle to Alaska? That's the route I'd take.

What's PRD's

Pre

Rolled

Doobies??? :FartExplode-vi:

Yep, and some steve miller on continuous play.

But for the pathy.. I really can't add to what others have said.. all good info.

I'm to the point now with my rig.. I don't even know how it still runs so well. I just keep treating her badly and tell her that i love her and that its her job to be slammed around and beat on...

That being said.. maybe my rig is a masochist.

Everyone keeps saying survival whistles. I guess I must have read it wrong, but I thought he was talking about the whistles that mount to your hood or bumper and are there to deter deer from jumping out in the road? I'm sure you all have seen them before. Little black things, when air passes through they emit a high pitch whistle. Friend of mine from Arkansas swears by them, I've never tried them so I don't know.

Great advice! One note: Do not take a handgun into Canada. Look it up yourself, but I'm pretty sure there is no legal way of doing so. A long gun (rifle or shotgun) can declared at the border and carried through. I would recommend a 12 gauge shotgun that can be cased in the back with a box of ammo next to it. At night bring it into the motel room and every state in the Union recognizes your right to defend yourself in your rented-by-the-night-castle. Except DC, which doesn't seem to be part of the Union.

Haha you guys are awsome! Thanks for all the super good advice and if you think of anything else that may be helpful (or entertaining) please do post. Im posting pics of the truck tomorrow cause I finally have a day off. FYI I wont be leaving until middle april, so ill be making an entirely new thread topic.

-Chris

Just a good hand gun.
since i mentioned the gun first read ID95's post. hand cannons are illegal in Canada. Long gun of some sort is what i was thinking. shotgun is good so is a high power rifle (basically not a .22) and you better be a good shot otherwise don't even bother.

similar case with any illicit stuff if you're going to cross the US/Can border. look up the 'secret compartment' thread for ideas.

yes, juno is in AK, USA but it is on an island so you'd have to take another ferry to Ankorage. may want to check the prices.. it's a long way from Seattle to Juno and same thing on the second leg. You'd also miss all of ALCAN highway if you do that.

deer whistles: eh, you don't need them but if you'd feel safer with them, get you some. they are like $20 or less.

camping gear: once you get past major cities it will be hard to get any good equipment; even though a clerk in FLA may not know about winter camping, i do so ask away if you need any help or advice.

survival whistles: well they are good to have as they beat yelling but they require that people are around and alaska has very few people.

call schedule is a good idea but i wouldn't set up a missed time to be 2h as that may not be enough time for you to find cell service or a land line to make such a call. i'd go with 6 or 8h or something.

if you do the ALCAN then talk to some people at the US/Can border that are traveling to the same destinations and exchange numbers. they maybe your best help.

if you think of anything else, post up.

this sounds so very exciting and as some one said, you'll be taking us all on this trip with you. ;):)

As previously mentioned, you could take the Alaska Marine Highway system from Bellingham, about 60 miles north of Seattle, that will run you all the way through SE Alaska's Inside Passage, as far north as Anchorage. It's a three day or so trip on the Ferry, and I'd suggest getting a state room, and the price of the trip would be comparitive to the cost of driving the Alcan with current gas prices (which will be as high in some places on the AlCan as $7/gallon this summer). The Ferry Trip is considered one of the US's Scenic Byways, and I can attest (I've done the Wrangell-Ketchikan Trip a few times) on a nice day, you will WISH that you die in a place this beautiful as you're one step closer to heaven (see a couple of my pictures posted in the picture section of some of SE Alaska's Views). The only issue you're going to run into is getting on one, they're usually really booked for the summer, and this year the United State's Hottest Governer (google Gov. Palin) is allowing the AMHS to cut it down to one run a week from Bellingham to Skagway (where you would get off and head to the next ferry that took you further North).

I personally don't think you need to worry about a gun unless you plan on deliberatly camping in bear country during sow birthing season. And to put down a large bear or moose you better be packing a .44mag or BIGGER (.454 ruger, .50 S&W), otherwise all you'll do is make a big noise before you're trampled/mauled, and you'd better be accurate with the first shot because those size pistols are pretty hard to reset after their recoil. OTOH, you'll find that once you get to Alaska, the Gun laws are EXTREMELY liberal (as are most of the laws here, and there aren't really enough cops to enforce most of them anyways). If you're a Registered Alaskan, you don't even need to apply for a license to carry a concealed pistol.

IF you are going to attempt the 5k (+) mile drive, be prepared for anything that you would normally think couldn't happen, cause it will (and in the middle of BFE) :)

Good luck! and "Welcome To Alaska" When you get up here. IF you decide to try and get on the AMHS, make sure you stop by the Stikine Inn (the primary property in my p.m. firm) in Wrangell, AK (about 90 miles north of Ketchikan, and your first stop thereafter), and ask for Jake (that's me) I'll show you my Pathy's battle scars and buy you a half pound burger (just one, i'm a cheapass).