Boyd Coddington dies at age 63

NismoSkyZ

BEIJING, Feb. 28 (Xinhuanet) -- U.S. TV reality show host and car-building legend Boyd Coddington, died at age 63, according to media reports Thursday.

The news was released by his La Habra-based company, which said that Coddington died at Whittier's Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital in the morning on Wednesday.

Born in Rupert, Idaho, in 1944, Coddington was a farm boy who devoured auto magazines and dreamed of creating his own custom cars.

Coddington started to build cars in his home garage when he was a 13-year-old. His first big hit was a streamlined makeover of a 1933 Coupe that won the Al Slonaker Award, one of the most prestigious prizes in hot rodding.

With his standard of workmanship and creativity approved, he won the "America's Most Beautiful Roadster" award seven times and twice won the Daimler-Chrysler Design Excellence Award.

Coddington created the TV reality show "American Hot Rod" which aired on the Discovery Channel from 2004 to 2007 and introduced the West Coast hot rod guru to the whole nation.

The New York Times has called Coddington "indisputably the best-known and arguably the most influential professional builder in the field."

Coddington is survived by his wife, Jo; three sons, Boyd Jr., Chris and Greg, and grandchildren.

The cause of death is still unknown at this time.

It's a shame, I remember interviewing him over the phone for a school project when I was younger. Such a great guy.

RIP It was an awesome show. I wasn't even aware that it wasn't on tv any more.

Tex, yeah he was kinda hard on his guys in the shop, because he wanted the work done right, and on time.

Oh and for whos wondering....

Coddington had been hospitalized in January, shortly after New Years' 2008 following a fall at his home.[6] He was discharged, but complained of continuing complications and was readmitted just a few days later to Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital in suburban Whittier. After being readmitted, Doctors preformed surgery and Boyd was expected to make a complete recovery. Coddington died on February 27, 2008 his company has released a statement stating that Coddington was "a long-time diabetic" who "died from complications that were brought on from a recent surgery."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyd_Coddington

Edited by redfinder

I liked his design style and vision, but he was clearly not a decent person to work for. To have that many gifted people quit from their "dream jobs" indicates he was doing something very wrong...