Distributor bad?

racerdave

So I went driving up this mountain near where I live, in 4L, just cruising along. 91 pathfinder XE-V6

I came up to a small hill and so I started to give it some more, and it started to miss and sputter

I stopped put it in park and rev'd it up a little to see if it was still doing it under no load, and it wouldn't rev past 4k, the more throttle I gave it, the more it would miss.

So I parked it, checked everything, it all seems to be fine, let it cool down, started it back up, and it idles fine, but under any load, it misses randomly.

I limped it down the mountain, and started taking back roads home.

I could only get up to 35 mph on a flat area, uphill was hell and I basically had to idle up any steep hill, so I pulled over to let a few cars past me. and it died....

I let it sit for about 2 min, and then tried to start it again. it started right up.

It ran fine, with the occasional miss fire all the way back home (30 miles), it felt sluggish, as if the timing was off a little, or it was only running on 4.

After it started to run better, the tach. sits at 2 positions, 800rpm (with no throttle) and if I give it any throttle, it jumps to 4000 and stays there no matter how much throttle I give it, and as soon as I let off the throttle it drops back down to 800, instant response for the tach.

I checked the codes, and it doesn't say anything is wrong.

I have experienced other cars doing this to me in the past, and 99% of the time it was the module in the distributor.

Does it sound like that is what it might be?

Edited by racerdave

So I went driving up this mountain near where I live, in 4L, just cruising along. 91 pathfinder XE-V6

I came up to a small hill and so I started to give it some more, and it started to miss and sputter

I stopped put it in park and rev'd it up a little to see if it was still doing it under no load, and it wouldn't rev past 4k, the more throttle I gave it, the more it would miss.

So I parked it, checked everything, it all seems to be fine, let it cool down, started it back up, and it idles fine, but under any load, it misses randomly.

I limped it down the mountain, and started taking back roads home.

I could only get up to 35 mph on a flat area, uphill was hell and I basically had to idle up any steep hill, so I pulled over to let a few cars past me. and it died....

I let it sit for about 2 min, and then tried to start it again. it started right up.

It ran fine, with the occasional miss fire all the way back home (30 miles), it felt sluggish, as if the timing was off a little, or it was only running on 4.

After it started to run better, the tach. sits at 2 positions, 800rpm (with no throttle) and if I give it any throttle, it jumps to 4000 and stays there no matter how much throttle I give it, and as soon as I let off the throttle it drops back down to 800, instant response for the tach.

I checked the codes, and it doesn't say anything is wrong.

I have experienced other cars doing this to me in the past, and 99% of the time it was the module in the distributor.

Does it sound like that is what it might be?

im having a similar problem but mine just pukes and misses when you accelerate, but if the sensor in the dizzy was going out you would get a code for crank angle sensor or ignition signal....

you have never heard of vacuum avance? its been used many of times. if the pathy doesnt have it then my bad i havent worked on one in a long time. as far as spark under load rev the engine up a lil and check for spark dont do it to long you could flood the cylinder. i would try to get my hands on a spark tester that way you you dont need to rev the engine.

you have never heard of vacuum avance? its been used many of times. if the pathy doesnt have it then my bad i havent worked on one in a long time. as far as spark under load rev the engine up a lil and check for spark dont do it to long you could flood the cylinder. i would try to get my hands on a spark tester that way you you dont need to rev the engine.

yeah i've heard of it... lol, i was just pickin on you because the pathy's are all electro do whacky thingymabobs.... :itsallgood:

yeah i've heard of it... lol, i was just pickin on you because the pathy's are all electro do whacky thingymabobs.... :itsallgood:

So, I know I have spark, it runs and drives, but how am I supposed to tell when its supposed to spark :shrug: ???

What are the symptoms of a bad distributor?

how am I supposed to tell when its supposed to spark :shrug: ???

Unplug the coil wire and hold the metal tip while touching the engine block with the other hand, then have someone turn the key and crank the engine.

:crossedwires:

J/K

I am not getting any [trouble codes]... :-\

Are any codes pending? Pending codes don't light the MIL until the fault is detected multiple times, and then they get promoted to trouble codes. My '01 was severely misfiring and the computer knew it because it was blinking the MIL. But the misfire didn't show up in the trouble code readout. It was in the pending list. Make sure your code reader is showing you pending codes.

Are any codes pending? Pending codes don't light the MIL until the fault is detected multiple times, and then they get promoted to trouble codes. My '01 was severely misfiring and the computer knew it because it was blinking the MIL. But the misfire didn't show up in the trouble code readout. It was in the pending list. Make sure your code reader is showing you pending codes.

What was your missfire issue?

Unplug your maf sensor and check for corrosion on the pins. I had this same exact problem on my 89 and could not figure it out for the life of me. I leaned on the wiring harness and it died. Thats the only reason I found it. Make sure all the connections are clean and secure.

that is what is happening to me right now, I've put a new O2 sensor in, new fuel filter, new spark plugs, and cleaned my MAF and its still running like shiite. Any other suggestions, I was thinking of replacing the distributor cap :shrug:

alright here's my final fix for this problem: engine idling very rough, almost to the point of dying, no power while driving, actually went into power mode to get to about 30 MPH. What I did:

1. Replace plugs

2. Replace O2 sensor

3. Clean MAF

4. Replace Fuel filter

5. Replace Rotor

6. Replace Cap

Next on the list: replace wires and coil, But while putting the cap back on I noticed the air intake hose where it actually connects to the intake was split 50% on the bottom - hard to see. Replaced that and booya, good as new. Figured I would share just in case someone else encounters the same prob, check the air intake hose