Steering shakes when going over 50 mph?

777WD21

Hello everybody, I have a problem with my 94 wd21. I just bought it about 1 month ago and when I drive it in the highway going over 50 mph and turning left slightly my whole front steering starts to shake. I can feel that it's coming from the left side, not sure what, but it start to shake violently and when it does that you coould feel it though out your whole steering wheel. To stop it from shaking I'll have to step on brake to slow it down enough to stop the shaking and continue. I you guys have any ideas or know what's wrong then please help me out.

Thanks,

:handlebars:

There are a whole of possibilities. NOT unique to Pathy's, of course. All vehicles are subject to these.

In addition to GhostPath's suggestions, I'll add:

- Bent wheel

- Worn steering box

- Loose/bent control arm pivot

- Worn/torn bushing in front suspension (upper control arm, lower control arm, compression/tension arm)

- Worn/torn bushing in REAR suspension (yes, damage in rear can make the front feel funny)

- Loose anything

- Collision damage - bent something somewhere

I usually start by doing a simple tire rotation. If symptoms change, suspect something in wheel or tire. If not, I have reduced the possible sources and then start checking and eliminating all other suspects one by one.

If sounds like too many suspects to tackle, take to a GOOD alignment shop (ie, not a CHEAP) shop and have them help diagnose it. Collect and communicate as many symptoms as possible, just as you did here.

I'm willing to bet ball joints, my friend had that exact same problem on his 97 plymouth breeze. How many miles on your pathy?

Dude, do you ever think before speaking?

That makes as much sense as telling a person with a fever they must have rabies because you know a guy that had rabies and they had a fever....

1st things 1st...go balance the tires...I chased a wicked shake in my 95 for about 6 months and changed abunch of stuff including wheel bearings, ball joints, spindles...and it was simply a tire 12oz out of balance...rotate the tires and if all the other tires are good and you are good at feeling things the shake will come from the back but still influence the front some but not much in the steeringwheel....but a bent wheel can also do the same as everyone above said...

I'd also check for loose wheel bearings b/c thats easy to do...jack up and put hands at 12 and 6 oclock position and push back and forth if you get play the bearings are worn/loose

Dude, do you ever think before speaking?

That makes as much sense as telling a person with a fever they must have rabies because you know a guy that had rabies and they had a fever....

IT's funny cuz it's true! :lol:

Yeah, as suggested, rule out the wheels/tires first. Get underneath and check for play in all the areas suggested, be it ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings etc. Everything should be tight.

Thanks guys, I will take a look this wekend if it's warmer outside. It's been sub-zero temperature over here in St. Paul, MN for the past two weeks now. I will post the results on what is the problem if I can located it. If not I will have to take it to the shop. I'll make sure my wheels are ballance before anything else, check for any loose steering brackets of any sort, and make sure my wheel bearings are not bad before taking it to the shop. Lets hope I can find this probelm soon so I can lift my baby up this spiring and go off-raoding in the woods. Dam can't wait, THANKS again for all your advice guys and gals. Catch up with yall later!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, just wondering if you figured out what it was. Im having (at least it sounds like) the exact same problem with my '93, and if you got yours figured out i think it'd make sense for me to try that first. thanks!

Hey, just wondering if you figured out what it was. Im having (at least it sounds like) the exact same problem with my '93, and if you got yours figured out i think it'd make sense for me to try that first. thanks!

For me it was broken compression rod

When my centerlink was pushed a little to far I had a similar issue. But my alignment was also off and I was all over the road!

St. Paul, huh. I would love to go wheelin out there. My sister has 80 acres near Foley/St. Cloud. Makes me drool everytime I go out there. Just have to drive the Pathy out there to enjoy! Someday......