Runs bad/dies under load...

racerdave

Well, I picked up my new rig last night, 92 pathfinder V6 Auto 4x4.. 200$

It made it half way home, until I had to come to a stop sign...

I drove it from start until it got warm (about 8min) on the highway, and as soon as I started to slow down to stop, it sputtered, and I gave it a little gas, and it sputtered even more.

I came to the stop, and turned left, and I made it about 2 blocks and it just wouldn't go any more. The more gas I gave it, the more it would sputter and die.

I came back with a buddy and his truck about an hour later, and tried to start it, and it ran fine the rest of the way home (even got warm and still ran fine)

I started it up just a few min ago and rev'd it up, let it get warm and idle, and it runs fine just sitting in the driveway.

the motor has 280k on it... I am going to do a normal tune up on it this weekend, plugs, wires, cap n rotor, fuel filter, air filter, and clean it up/check for leaks.

Any other ideas on what I should inspect/replace?

Edited by racerdave

Once the engine warms up and under load, a bad 02 sensor can do what you are describing. It may not throw a code. If it stalls at a stop light again,

turn the key all the way off and then on again to start. It may fire right up...or not :D

Also, throw a bottle of gas line anti freeze in just in case you had some water in the gas.

MAF connection is good.

"could be just from sitting for a while all the way through bad rings.. take a pick."

That didn't make any sence.. What?

I will check the codes this weekend when I give her a tune up and post what I find.

It doesn't stall, it sputters backfires and misses, and under load gets worse until it just wont run anymore.

And after it dies, it wont start until I let it sit for a long time.

Well, after further inspection, I checked the codes and this is what I got.

It was 21, which in my book says ignition coil something or other..

So I pulled off the coil wire to the dizzy, and where it connects from the cap to the wire, its all burned, and it didnt feel like it clicked in to the cap, it just pulled right out with like, no effort....

So, thats what I found so far.

I am going to replace the ignition stuff tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the coil is something that goes bad often?

How can I test it?

Thanks! I will test it tomorrow when I put all the new parts on.

One last question before I go tinker with it some more.

Anyone know a good place to buy replacement parts?

The local schmucks wants 100$ for a set of crappy plug wires.

I found better ones for cheaper online, just wanted to get some opinions on what everyone runs, and also spark plugs...

I have always had good luck with the NGK v power.

Anyone?

Thanks! I will test it tomorrow when I put all the new parts on.

One last question before I go tinker with it some more.

Anyone know a good place to buy replacement parts?

The local schmucks wants 100$ for a set of crappy plug wires.

I found better ones for cheaper online, just wanted to get some opinions on what everyone runs, and also spark plugs...

I have always had good luck with the NGK v power.

Anyone?

$100 for a wire set???? Ill pass! You sould too! :P

Pathys like NGK IMHO

$100 for a wire set???? Ill pass! You sould too! :P

Pathys like NGK IMHO

Dealer price around here is 70 bucks. I got mine at autozone and paid 79 bucks. was pissed off at myself after that. Been checking the dealer for all parts before autozone now. found that thermostat also was cheaper than autozone.

Mark

I ended up getting all the stuff and replacing it.

I reset the ECU and I got a code 55. All systems clear.

Runs good so far. I will take it to go get gas tomorrow, and then drive it around town for a bit to make sure she is all fixed !

I drove it up and down the street, checking out the 4H and 4L.

I have never owned a 4x.

I was curious to know, since it is an auto, how should I shift from 2H into 4H and to 4L?

I don't have the owners manual, so when I was playing around with it, I didn't really know what I was doing.

I put it in Park, and it shifts into 4H fine, drove around the parking lot and got a feel for it.

I stopped and put it in park again, and it wont let me shift it into 4L without first putting it into Neutral. Is that normal?

So after I got it in 4L i crawled over a few curbs in the parking lot and then drove home and up over the side of the road into my yard .. This thing is fun! lol

So I went to put it back into 2H so I put it in park, and took it out of 4L and into N and then when I try to go from N, past 4H into 2H it grinds.

I had to shut off the engine to keep it from grinding, so I started it up, put it in 4L and tried to put it into 2H again with it running, and it would grind a little and then it popped in (thud, and kinda learched forward)...

I dont want to hurt it, and I dont know what I am doing, so maybe someone can tell me what I need to be doing?

Any help is much appreciated.