build my own snorkel

json3904

well i took the sheet metal fender off so i could remove the air dam... i will proab cut out the metal right behind the airbox then run the snorkel up through the fender then cut a hole on the fender, and run it right up the pillar..... thanks for all the input.....

here are some pics i took with the fender off

0204081811.jpg

0204081812.jpg

thanks i will remember that!!!!!! i am going to use my dremel tool for all the cutting, i asked this on the other two forums i am on but i will ask over here to..

should i use either 3" or 4" PVC?????? the only place on the snorkel that will have a 90* turn is where i am cutting out the metal and going to the air box, the rest of the snorkel is going to be heated up and bent accordingly so its straight pipe.... thanks for all the help and i cant wait to finish....

What do you think about flex hose? Not sure if 3 or 4 long radius would fit. there is more restrictions in short radius. It is probably a wash between a 3" long radius and 4" short radius.

A true 90 coming out of the air box might not line up with your exit point. I would do flex me personally just for ease of fabrication.

i thought about that and i decided i would seal the factory holes on the airbox, then i am going to cut out either a 3" or 4" on the side next to the fender...... so that way it will will come out straight then 1 90* turn and straight the rest of the way.... that's how my buddy's 4runner is ran and he doesnt have any problems with flow...... LOL

well here it is mounted i still have to paint and remount ( right now only held on by one ziptie ) lol

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

i used 2" pvc the 3" was way to big.... just to clarify that for yall......

Edited by json3904

well here is the finished snorkel..... well i say finished but i still have to seal the airbox where it connects.... hope yall like.....

IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

i have the bag over it to keep all the rain and other critters out... LOL

• 2 weeks later...

i had a snorkel on my pathy you would be surprised how strong the black pvc actually is i hit many of trees. just make sure you carry around a spare alternator every time i went in real deep water(door handles) i would blow my alternator later that day

I like it. The gromit you used is pretty good. I wish someone offered a snout that would prevent rainwater from getting in. I saw one once on a jeep site that was homemade, but it was huge.

off-topic, what kind of hat is that on the roof. Roll Tide :hide:

nice max whatcha make yours out of??

I second that. That's the best looking homemade snorkel I've ever seen. Details please! :treadmill:

who me or crazy???? mine is ghetto compared to his.. LOL i still need to finish mine up.. i went to start the pathy today and i had a fuel line rupture and was spewing gas all over the place....

Mine is made out a of metal tube with a 72mm diameter and a 3mm thick wall, it's was the only measures of tube that i could make the curves without bending too much.

Sorry for my english

No worries on your english. Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into it. :aok:

• 11 months later...