DIY Powder Coating!

rawkrews

I finally had a chance to use my favorite christmas gift, the Craftsman Powder Coat Gun. Thought I'd start off small so I did one 3/4" shackle to test it out. WOW! Easy to do.

1st. prep shackle with wire brush or pressure abrasive to remove any paint

dsc00060nu7.jpg

2nd. clean surface with solvent. I used mineral spirits.

3rd. hang from oven rack, attach ground wire to hanger wire, and spray coating surface evenly.

dsc00061wu3.jpg

4th. bake in oven for 10 minutes to bake then 20 minutes to cure it

dsc00063kj4.jpg

Turns from powdery surface to a nice glossy texture. I am using "signal red" for my shackles to match my hi lift.

I know what your about to say...PICS? ya ya ya Ill post them once it gets out of the oven.

I plan on doing anything that will fit into my oven... look for posts on each part!

Well it is on there the thickest they recomend. It looks 100% covered. As long as you take your time with the prep.... it should last as long as anything else. helps when you buy the right powder too. Ill let you know if it fails me.

looks great :beer:

when ever me & the lads fabricate something, if it can fit in the oven - we bake it. makes the finish so much harder

even made an 'oven' out of hebel blocks & 2 stand alone bar heaters for an axle housing we modified & painted once... :D

I have been wanting one for a while; just haven't seen one up close yet.

When you say buy the right powder what did you mean? is there different powder for different metals or some are a better quality?

Thanks!

Mike

You should never use your oven you cook with. When we bought our house, they left the appliances so the old oven went into the garage for its future (now current) intentions.

Cool :aok: , just wanted to stress that point for anyone thinking about getting into DIY powder coating. The first DIY kit I saw was in Hot Rod Magazine in the 80s and they said that the oven they used could never be used to cook in again. Glad to see a more mass market brand/distributor for it now.

Cool :aok: , just wanted to stress that point for anyone thinking about getting into DIY powder coating. The first DIY kit I saw was in Hot Rod Magazine in the 80s and they said that the oven they used could never be used to cook in again. Glad to see a more mass market brand/distributor for it now.

Ok, i'll ask. Why? I don't have a spare oven sitting around. Do the fumes ruin it or something? thanks in advance.

Ok, i'll ask. Why? I don't have a spare oven sitting around. Do the fumes ruin it or something? thanks in advance.

Basically. Think of it like this, you wouldn't take a cooking pan out to catch your motor oil, then clean it out to cook with again would you? Besides the fact the the powder off gasses while it bakes, think about the type of items you would powder coat and think if you would want them in your oven with your Thanksgiving Turkey.

Basically. Think of it like this, you wouldn't take a cooking pan out to catch your motor oil, then clean it out to cook with again would you? Besides the fact the the powder off gasses while it bakes, think about the type of items you would powder coat and think if you would want them in your oven with your Thanksgiving Turkey.

They also have these at harbor freight tools for 49.00 I have seen them go on sale for like 39.00 bucks.

Mark

Hmmmn..... Powder coated Turkey; keeps the freshness in!

What color ya want yer turkey ma?

LOL, gotcha.

But we're not talking direct contact like the pan/oil example. Seems the fumes would burn off without too much effort. Incidentally, do you know how many petroleum products your food comes into contact with? Pesticides, waxes, teflon, blah blah blah. We practically sweat oil lol. anyway, just curious, i've never powdercoated anything. I would love to do my shackles, but like i said, an oven isn't an option for me, so i'll have to wait...damn.

Yeah I was just reading the new Summit catalog, and they have one in there. They also said do it in a non food prep oven. How hot do you set the oven?

bake @ 400 for 30 minutes. Im guessing they only cooked food in the oven before I acquired it and was relatively clean. After the first bake session, I noticed a heavy brown stain on the top of the oven door. Im guessing the fumes cant be good for anyone. If your looking for a divorce... Do It!