Brand Spanking new Rear bumper/Tire Carrier

Simon

What did you guys use for the hinge?

I just finished a new WAY overbuilt hinge to replace the one currently on my tire & jerry can carrier. I couldn't find one I like at a decent price. So I spent about 4 hours at the lathe with some 3" bar stock and threw in two one ton wheel bearings to make the ultimate hinge. The one I made originally just isn't nearly as smooth as I'd like. The carrier also drops about a half an inch when it leaves the cradle. This one should glide open and close with ease and stay straight.

It's just a machined sleeve with some brass bushings, and brass washers top and bottom. A large shoulder bolt runs through the bracket, bushings and into a captive nut in the bumper. It's got a zerk, so keeping it smooth shouldn't be an issue.

What did you guys use for the hinge?

I just finished a new WAY overbuilt hinge to replace the one currently on my tire & jerry can carrier. I couldn't find one I like at a decent price. So I spent about 4 hours at the lathe with some 3" bar stock and threw in two one ton wheel bearings to make the ultimate hinge. The one I made originally just isn't nearly as smooth as I'd like. The carrier also drops about a half an inch when it leaves the cradle. This one should glide open and close with ease and stay straight.

I would say that machining round stock and placing bearings top and bottom is the ultimate pending on what you use for a pin or bolt. I like to use shoulder bolts( or called stripper bolts) myself due to its tighter tolerance to diameter. What I have also found is that by switching over to brass ( actually I think its more similar to Ampco) helps with carrying the load well. The previous washers I made were made out of a type of hard resilient plastic, but I found they wore out to fast leading to droopy swing arms. Don't forget the all important Zerk fitting in all hinge points.

The latch we used was a bit of an overkill as well as it is rated to hold 2000lbs! :aok:

Edited by Bender

I would say that machining round stock and placing bearings top and bottom is the ultimate pending on what you use for a pin or bolt. I like to use shoulder bolts( or called stripper bolts) myself due to its tighter tolerance to diameter. What I have also found is that by switching over to brass ( actually I think its more similar to Ampco) helps with carrying the load well. The previous washers I made were made out of a type of hard resilient plastic, but I found they wore out to fast leading to droopy swing arms. Don't forget the all important Zerk fitting in all hinge points.

The latch we used was a bit of an overkill as well as it is rated to hold 2000lbs! :aok:

I have seen some people use a wheel bearing and spindle for the hinge.

Mark

What size tubing is that? and what did the total weight come out too. Just the bumper without the tire rack. Looks awesome by the way. Reason im asking is because i hope to have mine built by the end of the week. And just need some tips on getting started. Also whats the best way to cut through the steel?

The main part of the bumper is 3"x8". The square stock for the tire carrier is all 2x2.

For the cutting, we had a whole shop full of saws, sanders, grinders and all sorts of other tools. Most of the cuts were done with a big band saw.

Not sure on the total weight, but it is heavy....I'm may have to investigate the option of some rear coil spacers.

I just ordered and slapped on some 4-4.5" lift coils from Jeffs Bronco Graveyard. The size is perfect and the wire diameter is twice the size as stock. The ride isn't too stiff either; like I was a little afraid it would be. I got them shipped for about $135, and the list price is only $115 and they have different lift sizes. I got the big one with the intention of cutting them down a bit if they were too tall.

They definitely beat the JGC coils in the lifting department. :itsallgood:

Good to know guys, thanks.

Trailchaser, I've thought of that, however, I do like the ride of the JGC coils. I may also try to find a set of 1-2" lift coils for that application.