Extra Driving Lights. Wiring into fog light circuit?

irich

Hi

I have a 2004 Pathy SE. I use it a lot in the desert here in the Middle East. We don't get a lot of fog here lol, but the more lights the better at night on the desert trails.

I'm looking to mount a pair of driving lights on the front and rather than go to all the hassle of a seperate circuit and switching and routing, I wondered if it was possibe to wire them in parallel one either side with the front fog lights?

Regards

Richard

Do not simply run aux lights in parallel by tapping into the OEM wiring. The OEM wires aren't rated to carry that much current, and will probably melt, short circuit, and cause all sorts of other damage. It's always better to run a separate circuit and relay, and using the OEM fog light wire as the trigger for the relay.

More Info Here

30-amp automotive relay:

terminal 30: + from batt

terminal 85: + from OEM fog light wire*

terminal 86: ground

terminal 87: + to new aux lights

*aux lights will automatically turn on when fog lights turn on. If you place a switch between the relay and the place where the wire taps into the OEM wire, you can toggle whether the aux lights come on or not with the OEM fogs.

It's always better to run a separate circuit and relay

the only problem with this setup is that if you flick your lights to bright, you'll lose all the other lights as the fogs go off when you turn on the brights.

just run a completely seperate circuit for your extra lights.. it's not any harder plus you won't have to splice into any original wireing. make sure to put in an inline fuse too. it took me maybe 2h to do this.. getting through the firewall was the hardest as the main harness gasket is tight, tight, tight.. good luck.

Hi

I have a 2004 Pathy SE. I use it a lot in the desert here in the Middle East. We don't get a lot of fog here lol, but the more lights the better at night on the desert trails.

I'm looking to mount a pair of driving lights on the front and rather than go to all the hassle of a seperate circuit and switching and routing, I wondered if it was possibe to wire them in parallel one either side with the front fog lights?

Regards

Richard

I exchanged the OEM fog light for a pair of off-road lights when I got a new bumper. They do go off when the brights are switched on which is a bummer. I am going to wire in a new set of lights to run seperate. Hope I can get the wires through the firewall. It is not user friendly.

the only problem with this setup is that if you flick your lights to bright, you'll lose all the other lights as the fogs go off when you turn on the brights.

There is a mod you can do to the fog light relay, which allows them to be turned on or off independently of the headlight switch position. Search for "foglight relay mod" on this site.

This informative link was found among the hits.

Another link

Last link

Whether the trigger line taps into the OEM fog light circuit, or whether it taps into ACC or any other always-hot circuit, you still need to use a relay, so you don't overload the OEM wire that you tap into. A relay uses only a few milliamps to engage a high-current circuit with its own direct-to-battery power supply.

just run a completely seperate circuit for your extra lights.. it's not any harder plus you won't have to splice into any original wireing. make sure to put in an inline fuse too. it took me maybe 2h to do this.. getting through the firewall was the hardest as the main harness gasket is tight, tight, tight.. good luck.

If you think about it, with all those extra lights, there wouldn't be a reason to use the brights at all.

you need a relay which has a connector to the battery, one for the ground, one for power to the lights, and one that is the turn on which you would want to splice into your parking lights, then they are on whenever your lights are on, and you can run a toggle switch after that if you choose

• 2 weeks later...
I went through the firewall on my 2004 LE at the plate for the clutch master cylinder (which isn't installed). I just removed one of the two bolts and ran the wire thru there and added a rubber grommet. Works great.

anyone have a pic of where this is at? is it the diamond shaped plate with two bolts between the round thing(brake booster?) and fender on the drivers side?

Edited by yar1

anyone have a pic of where this is at? is it the diamond shaped plate with two bolts between the round thing(brake booster?) and fender on the drivers side?

yes, and it comes through pretty high inside so youll have to really bend to see where it is