Looking for Skyline

Kittamaru

I'm looking for any year Nissan Skyline...

Backstory - my Fiance's 2.2L 4 banger 1999 chevy cavalier z24 up n died. Apparently the oil leaked out at the oil filter, so the engine was running without any oil. Seized up tight... rebuild is gonna cost as much as having the engine replaced. We're looking at getting it replaced... but...

I'm looking at getting her a gorgeous christmas or birthday present... I want to get her a Nissan Skyline.

Prefereably, a GT-R, ENR33 GTS-4, 400R, 34 GT-FOUR... basicly, I want one of the better ones. I don't want top of the line as there's no way on earth I could afford it...

To be blatently honest, it doesn't even have to work. If I have to sink a few thousand into it to make it run, so be it... this is a long term project after all.

I want to give her a vehicle that you won't see on the road everyday... one that'll handle bad weather without question and will give her the umph she so wants in a car.

If you can give any advice on models to look for, as well as where to look (I'm perusing a couple of junkyards next year to look for parts cars), please let me know.

-Kitt

PS - it is prefered if it has a DE or DET engine series. Fantastic if it could be a straight 6, but not necessary... I don't want her getting TOO many speeding tickets now ;)

Edited by Kittamaru

I'm looking for any year Nissan Skyline...

Backstory - my Fiance's 2.2L 4 banger 1999 chevy cavalier z24 up n died. Apparently the oil leaked out at the oil filter, so the engine was running without any oil. Seized up tight... rebuild is gonna cost as much as having the engine replaced. We're looking at getting it replaced... but...

I'm looking at getting her a gorgeous christmas or birthday present... I want to get her a Nissan Skyline.

Prefereably, a GT-R, ENR33 GTS-4, 400R, 34 GT-FOUR... basicly, I want one of the better ones. I don't want top of the line as there's no way on earth I could afford it...

To be blatently honest, it doesn't even have to work. If I have to sink a few thousand into it to make it run, so be it... this is a long term project after all.

I want to give her a vehicle that you won't see on the road everyday... one that'll handle bad weather without question and will give her the umph she so wants in a car.

If you can give any advice on models to look for, as well as where to look (I'm perusing a couple of junkyards next year to look for parts cars), please let me know.

-Kitt

PS - it is prefered if it has a DE or DET engine series. Fantastic if it could be a straight 6, but not necessary... I don't want her getting TOO many speeding tickets now ;)

I dont think you are going to find a Skyline in a junk yard. All skylines are either shipped from Japan or are built(usally using a 240sx chassis), but that not really a skyline (sileighty). There were several companies importing them, but the Fed has cut into that. I would try here http://www.theskylineshop.com/ and do some research. Unless you can find another business importing them. I would even try E-bay to find one.

*Mod may want to move this to the general forum*

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I hope you have $50K plus, because a real R33 or R34 Skyline in ANY condition that's legally in the US is going to cost you at least that much, even not running.

R33's are, however, legal to import and are relatively easy to get. The R34 is almost impossible to get in here.

my friend has an r32 up here that you might be able to convince him to sell it to you. It was imported from japan. I think it has the turbo straight six 2.6 liter engine in it. right hand drive which he says can be a pain in the ass when in a busy city.

As soon as my insurance goes down I'll be out to Colorado to pic one up Earth!

Z's corner like nothing else I've driven (as long as you have good rubber on them) and don't get caught to many times speeding!-(

Well, I'm looking at getting one that either needs some light work, or a new engine. Either thing I can manage (with the help of my mechanic, who's a family friend) but I need to get the car and the parts first :P

I'm looking at one now... R32 GTS-t Sedan that's been refit and kit out with a RB25DET engine for some extra punch... only 14,600.

Gah... duh... just realized something. It's a right hand drive... heh. Never bothered to check that.

The skyline I drove was a left hand drive... is that a conversion or are there left hand drive designs?

As soon as my insurance goes down I'll be out to Colorado to pic one up Earth!

Z's corner like nothing else I've driven (as long as you have good rubber on them) and don't get caught to many times speeding!-(

I've been thinking of getting one lately. I'm looking for deals on the net every day. A skyline would be sweet, but definately out of my budget. For 1/3 the price of a R33/R34 you could find a built Z pushin 500HP.

another example

Still a fairly rare car. There must be a lot here, cuz they go for less here on average than most states.

Earth.... You want to go look at that for me??? *Triple checks the Weather..... short trip back to Spokane....

I know, I've been thinking of buying out of state and driving it back. Worth it if the price is right. I'm not finding many cheaper than here though. If you're serious I could look at it.

Sorry to hijack Kit. Back to skyline talk.

I'm not looking at it for power :P

My fiance's car recently died, and I know how good Nissan's are... but I don't want us to have ANOTHER SUV... at 50 bucks a tank my pathy is a TAD expensive every other week (I manage to squeeze 23ish MPG out of her)

I'm assuming a skyline with an engine of similar spec to my pathy's, but of MUCH lighter weight, would have a better fuel economy... plus it's sporty and looks damned cool!

More than likely you'll be running premium to stop the ping and rough running.

A descent 240sx (rear wheel drive, good gas mileage, can mod heavily and runs on regular (until you start upgrading) just my 2 cents though.

I got about 18 months before some "issues" drop off my record. Then I'm grabbin a Z again.

The kits to swap steering are $$$ (but a Superfast AWD would be cool as HELL) 'till I was in jail for trying to break the sound barrier again.

Reason I got a 4WD is I can't get in alot of trouble!-)

I was under the impression you can throttle back the turbo or even go so far as to simply cut it off unless the gas is depressed x amount?

Or is it always engaged? Thought turbo's could be tuned a little finer than that.

I'm not sure... I'm looking at Subaru's as well... Nissan and Subaru are the only cars I really trust :)

What are some other good sporty nissan cars that won't break the bank and use REGULAR (that is important with gas prices what they are... ugh)

I was under the impression you can throttle back the turbo or even go so far as to simply cut it off unless the gas is depressed x amount?

Or is it always engaged? Thought turbo's could be tuned a little finer than that.

I'm not sure... I'm looking at Subaru's as well... Nissan and Subaru are the only cars I really trust :)

What are some other good sporty nissan cars that won't break the bank and use REGULAR (that is important with gas prices what they are... ugh)

Hold up. So you want to get a super-rare Skyline... for cheap. Right drive is a problem though, so you need it converted to left drive. Gas mileage is a problem, so you want to DE-TUNE it down to regular fuel. WTF?! If you could even find and/or afford said car, why would you then go and destroy it? :rolleyes:

Take the advise of others (and yourself). Buy a 300ZXTT, Subaru WRX, Mitsubishi EVO, various Audi's (A4, A6, etc. but not as reliable), or may I suggest some others like a Supra (Turbo), heck even cheaper than the Skyline, and she'd get some looks, would be a gently used Corvette, baby Benz C-class AMG, BMW M3, etc. etc. etc. even if they're not AWD/4WD. LOL, you can pick up a older Ferrari 308 for around $20-25K and turn all sorts of heads around town, although the maintenance would be murder. :)

Edited by Mr. Pickles

50 dollars is expensive when you're paying college tuition :P

I really want something AWD or 4WD... PA (and if we transfer to RIT up in New York) snow is a bear... New York would be even worse.

I unno... I'll keep looking at the WRX... most of them seem to be manual though :( (she doesn't know how to drive stick... I'll teach her some day! )

You could get a old Stanza wagon! They came in AWD and with a maual or automatic trans. You could pull the old 2.0 or 2.4 out and stuff in a SR20. It be freakin sweet, but ugly. Similar AWD system as the old Skylines!

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:By...ssanStanza1.jpg

sorry, I was just trying to be funny. Get a Z, I loved mine!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder